What happened to Ladas, why no one bring them in when chery and geely is here

Verve

Long time ago, my father had a Lada Samara. It was always a problem starting the car. I guess it would be better to buy a 2nd hand Japanese car than a new Lada.

Edited by Biting
↡ Advertisement

My dad used to owned one. Damned stable car. I still remember how stable it is when speeding at almost 140Km/h on expressway before I spotted TP coming fast behind me. But too late then. I was clocked 112Km/h on a 80Km/h limit. That was also my first speeding ticket within my PDL [sweatdrop] . Luckily speed not exceeded 40Km/h, if not sure kenna court case. Moreover I was a NSF then, borrowed my dad's car to book in camp for CO parade as I was very late. Uncle TP don't want to give me chance after explaining my situation. Then, I was in my smart No.4. Thought got chance, but nope, no way.

Anyway, that was more than 10 yrs ago.

Sorry guys, for most of the non-thread related story. It just that seeing this thread on Lada Samara reminds me.

er.. what do u mean by getting a speeding ticket within your PDL? You mean u sped in a "L" plated car? [sweatdrop]

Supercharged
Wonder why no one brought in the ladas

THey may be dated, but solidly built cars with simple engines, may have been a good proposition for a cheap opc with minimal maintenance

IMHO still better than the china cars

The Lada Nivas were well commended for its robustness and off road ability - able to withstand punishment

I also find that the ladas have a some what muscular appeal to their design - poor man's range rover defender perhaps

Also remembered a friend having a lada samara, the gears required brute force to shift but the engine note [inlove] , and the way the car moves - feels like a chunk of brute force being propelled against the road, quite a nice feeling

I remember the Lada.....bloody tough car. The russian built it like tank.

Unfortunately, that's the only good thing about it. Engine is crap by today's standard but back then it wasn't too bad. Oh well, at least better than the Datsun 120Y that I use for my test drive. (BTW, when i was 13, I was driving the Peugeot 404....classic car sia, anyone remember that car?)

I do hope Lada would make a come back. I definitely trust teh current Russian people more.

My dad used to owned one. Damned stable car. I still remember how stable it is when speeding at almost 140Km/h on expressway before I spotted TP coming fast behind me. But too late then. I was clocked 112Km/h on a 80Km/h limit. That was also my first speeding ticket within my PDL sweatdrop.gif . Luckily speed not exceeded 40Km/h, if not sure kenna court case. Moreover I was a NSF then, borrowed my dad's car to book in camp for CO parade as I was very late. Uncle TP don't want to give me chance after explaining my situation. Then, I was in my smart No.4. Thought got chance, but nope, no way.

Sorry guys, for most of the non-thread related story. It just that seeing this thread on Lada Samara reminds me.

definitely more than 10years.

the last time i saw the car,i was 12 years old.

it was a rare car then.

i think the popular colours were red and green.

Edited by Turbonetics

Yugo Sana at S$39K and Elantra at $49K in 1991?

That makes the brand new Lancers and Sunnys at <$50K & Wiras, Savvys, Picantos and other 1l cars like Picanto, Getz, Spark, Kelisa etc. at

Kudos to the govt for bringing down the ARF (Additional Registration Fee - a form of tax)) & making cars more affordable for all Singaporeans!

I remember Yugo Sana at $39k cause i saw it in a car mag when i was young and Elantra at $49,888 cause my father bought it to replace his Stellar. He was the one of the first to buy the Elantra cause the car still not in showroom but they put it in the workshop or wharehouse(can't remember) as just arrive. When he drive on the road, nobody had the same car as him and people do pass by and said "What car is this? Nice car.", there were finger prints almost everyday cause that time new car is not so common as today.

The Stellar my dad bought at approx. $43,000 in mid. 1987. I like it more than the Elantra cause it is like a tank and aircon is very cold. I still see one a few months back... looks nice....bring back old memories. Oh yah, the Samara and Lada Stationwagon were from $28 to $30plus k then in 1991.

Neutral Newbie
The Skoda Rapid (not Skoda Favorit) was launched at the same time as the Lada Samara.

The favorit was lanuched later to replace the Rapid.

Skoda Rapid

http://images.google.com.sg/images?q=skoda...images&ct=title

Skoda Favorit

http://images.google.com.sg/images?q=skoda...images&ct=title

Lada Samara

http://images.google.com.sg/images?svnum=1...=&q=Lada+Samara

Lada Niva SUV

http://images.google.com.sg/images?svnum=1...lr=&q=Lada+Niva

... and how could you forget the good ol' Riva? I almost got hold to one of these! [;)]

Lada%20Kombi%203es.jpg

Neutral Newbie
Dacia (Romania) - Never made it to Singapore. Old Dacia based on a Renault 12. New one is the Dacia Logan, some markets batch as a Renault Logan.

Believe it or not, this Romanian rust-buckets did made it to Singapore, represented by their 1410 stationwagons. But they came and went like mushrooms. And they're cheaper than Ladas, and PARF is the same at $11,200!

Neutral Newbie

My dad used to owned one. Damned stable car. I still remember how stable it is when speeding at almost 140Km/h on expressway before I spotted TP coming fast behind me. But too late then. I was clocked 112Km/h on a 80Km/h limit. That was also my first speeding ticket within my PDL sweatdrop.gif . Luckily speed not exceeded 40Km/h, if not sure kenna court case. Moreover I was a NSF then, borrowed my dad's car to book in camp for CO parade as I was very late. Uncle TP don't want to give me chance after explaining my situation. Then, I was in my smart No.4. Thought got chance, but nope, no way.

definitely more than 10years.

the last time i saw the car,i was 12 years old.

it was a rare car then.

i think the popular colours were red and green.

The one I drove is a dark blue. I still remember by dad change the 1.3L carburetor to a 1.6L one [dun noe where he got the lobang]. More power but yet FC further increase [bigcry]