VW recalls 300,000 Passat cars

Try_conti

News only mentioned 3 main problems:

1) Wiper

2) Possible fuel leakage with the diesel models (doesn't apply in Singapore as I don't see any diesel powered Passat in S'pore)

3) Brakes defect in models with 200hp engines - that seems to indicate the Passat 2.0T in S'pore.

Maybe Passat 2.0T owners can tell if they are affected.

there is no 2.0T passat in singapore.

the current gen is running on a 2.0FSI (na) engine. The previous gen had a tc-ed variant, but it was 1.8T. The 2.0(which was launched here only in it's final stage) was also NA.

....just that, as usual, the folks responsible for the marque are doing a great job with brand presence and awareness? Sigh....[shakehead]

Of course, the buying public's partly to blame, too, for this case. Can you imagine how many people, upon seeing your price list will go, "but...but...why should I buy a lowly vw when for that price I can get a (higher power-badged, lower-powered) 320i...." [laugh][laugh]

Edited by Renegade

Oi, hamster (warm-blooded, furry, peppy) and iguana (cold-blooded, spiky, slow-poke) quite a bit of difference,hor. [:p]

But then again, given that, in this forum, a VW Jetta's rear can be mistaken for a Kia Magentis, maybe I've got it wrong.... [laugh]

Linked for you

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/...d=E2&lowIndex=0

Even Octy II aka A5 has some problems.

Recall: No. 2 of 8 Recall Ref: R/2006/035 Exact Model: Octavia II Description: Flywheel may fail resulting in fire VIN: Build Date: Numbers: 1687 Defect: It has been identified that the two mass flywheels can become damaged because of a not optimally aligned through-flow restrictor in the clutch pressure pipe. This situation can lead to total failure of the flywheel and under unfavourable conditions a fire. Action: Recalled vehicles will have the make of the two mass flywheels identified and if necessary, replaced together with the breather of the clutch pressure pipe. Launch Date: 19 April 2006

Is this only for UK only as the AA site is a UK site ?

wow, 300K is quite a huge no. !

It's a huge no. but I don't think it shows that the marque is inferior. All major marques have recalls for one reason or other and it shows that they are responsible manufacturers. Only one marque, if I recall correctly, have virtually no recalls..... manufacturing/quality problems/issues were just swept under the carpet. Everyone must have heard of that marque. That is really worst.... really irresponsible putting the lives and limbs or unsuspecting buyers at risk.

Edited by Dipstick
↡ Advertisement