BMW 3-series or 5-series

Wt_know

Neutral Newbie

If you don't need the extra space offered by the 5, then take the 3 for the following reasons:

1) It's a better ride, more powerful and better handling.

2) It's safer, Euro NCAP 5 stars vs 4 for the 5 series.

3) Pay same road tax* (and probably same consumption) but get more power and torque.

* 523 is actually 2.5l but detuned.

Cheers!

hi nero,

how come SGP car plate ah?

i tot registered 2005?

Also, a detuned engine can tune back a not?

cos it doesnt make sense to drive a detuned engine and pay higher road tax leh. a bit not to the fullest potential.

why would bmw wants to do that?

Edited by Friendstar

simple. the original owner bought a new car and kept his plate and transferred the new plate number to the 325i before he passed it to the dealer.

sweet car ... it costs $170+ K when new ! could be worth it if u can afford the moolah, my neighbour has one ... really sweet ! [thumbsup]

Coz the previous rich owner probably got himself another brand new luxury car but wanted to keep his old car plate number. So the new carplate number goes to his (old) BMW 325 lor. [:|]

Edited by Mazda_mad

Neutral Newbie

Save $$$ by avoiding designing another set of pistons, con-rods, etc. Anyway unlike S'pore, road tax in other countries not very significant lah. Tune back to 525 performance, must ask BMW how lor.

several comparisons that i could not determine (space is not the main concern)

a) 325 (small sedan) vs 523 (large sedan) .. if the price is almost the same why buy a smaller unit where you can get a larger unit

b) 3series is considered entry level for bimmer, 5series is considered mid level (abit of ego consideration here la)

c) 523 performance is not that bad right ... somehow i feel that BMW when designing 5series vs 3series, isn't 5series should be using higher quality of 'materials' (interior & exterior & engine) since 5series is higher level of 3series in its product line

1 thing that i like about the 325 is the interior. sweet !

If you don't need the extra space offered by the 5, then take the 3 for the following reasons:

1) It's a better ride, more powerful and better handling.

2) It's safer, Euro NCAP 5 stars vs 4 for the 5 series.

3) Pay same road tax* (and probably same consumption) but get more power and torque.

* 523 is actually 2.5l but detuned.

Cheers!

Edited by Wt_know

Its not true that 3 series is an entry level, maybe just the 320i. Similarly 523i is the entry model for the 5-line.

I ve sat/driven the 320/323/325/330/335/M3 and also the 523/525 n there is quite a difference in each.

Actually like the bros said, its depends on u and what kinda driver u are. The 5 series is more like the merc e class n is comfy n built better for long distance cruising n teh extra space gives u comfort, eg driving all the way to Penang. if u aer the easy going type driver, then u shld go for size, not engine power.

The 3 series may seem smaller but size wise is like any family sedan n isnt that small. It is almost same size as previous generation 5 series. In Sg, bcos car prices are rediculously high n premium over each higher model is even more rediculous sometimes, people tend to go for size per $$$. I would say the 523 and 320 is ok for city driving n up to a certain speed if going to malaysia but I ve driven in excess of 160km/h in a 320i with ease. The 3 series is very nimble n agile. I personally still prefer the 3 series. There is good supporting reason why the car is voted world car of the year. Tomolo if kuan yin ma give me 4 lucky numbers n win, I will buy a 335 or an M3 [inlove]

Thanks for your reply ! I understand that 523 is an entry level in its class but 5series is above 3series in BMW product line ma ... so I stereotype that 5 is better than 3 lor.

I watch the TAXI (US Version) BMW 7-series SWEET !

All the time I 'assume' big size car like 5 or 7 series is no fun driving. But, it has been proven wrong. I also watch Transporter 2 another big size car .... Audi 8 ... lagi sweet.

It's a lot of $$ here we're talking (to some maybe peanuts but not me) so must think hard whether to get a 3 or 5. [sweatdrop]

Edited by Wt_know

personally i suggest dont be such a "typical stinkaporean"

Next thing you know the roads will be flooded with 516 ?

5 series with 1.6L ... 0-100 acceleration takes 45secs

Why Pay More for the same body ??

alternatively 310 ... 1.0 engine ... confirm save money

$500 road tax + 1 L consumption ... swee swee no water run

Between the 2, i would say Go with your heart ...

Depends which one fits your use better

If all men have a choice (wimps and stingy folks dont count), they would have gotten a 2 door manual with topless roof with more than 500 bhp car... chio bu by the side is bonus.

but stinkapore dont offer us the luxury of owning diff car for different purpose so you either make do with the best fit model or live in regret

so ... mind over heart or heart over mind .... [dizzy]