BMW 3-series or 5-series

Wt_know

IS250 is a great car indeed. But, the rear cabin space is SUCKS ! not to mention the ugly axle in the centre

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Personally, I prefer:

3 series in term of the interior and performance spec.

5 series in term of the exterior outlook. Somehow, the rear view of 3 series don't look good to me. Kind of compacted.

QUite hard to choose. Perhaps u should try both of them and feel it 1st. If u r comparing the pre-FL 3 and 5 series, I will go for the 3 series anytime.

Theoretically, should be no-brainer since one will choose 5 over 3 if same price.

But in your case, it's a choice btw space & power.

If you need more power & can foresake a bit of interior space, go for 3. Though 3 might not be comfortable on long journeys for 5, it should be fine on local roads. The 3 interior rather bare for its price. Exterior though is handsome from all angles. A bit small on the outlook to warrant serious attention & prestige of a bimmer.

If you need more space & more 'seh' car, go for 5. Though less powerful, it is still sufficient for local roads. Only on NS highway then u realize extra oomph of the 3.

Of course, it is more comfy for 5 but not as spacious as other cars in its class.

Interior also looks more upmarket. Exterior not as nice as 3, but still exludes more 'seh' and road presence which is essence of a bimmer.

So it's a tough choice which only you can make.

If u notice, 525 seem more popular than 325 on roads.

Something to ponder over! [:/]

Edited by Redboy

yeah.. agreed on the rear cabin space..

the middle part can only be occupied by a being 1.6m n below.

For cents Vs bhp n torque n handling... it beats the bimmer 320 n 323.

Go test drive it... it sure is a blast to drive!!

Neutral Newbie

Centre rear is for amputee only. Look a bit too extruded for my liking. Though 2.5V6 RWD and numbers look good on paper, I out ran one up Benjamin Shear Bridge recently in my humble 2.2 FWD Italian. I know the guy was trying very hard to keep up as he went past me well beyond the speed limit on the downslope (unfortunately, the test is up the slope and not down). Out ran my boss' ES300 also. I guess the Lexus autobox is not so sporty.

One good test for handling and cornering is the uphill exit from PIE to ECP with the downhill tight 270-degree left-hander entrance to ECP towards the city. Try taking the corner at above 90km/h and if the car can handle this without activating any electronic driver's aids and no loss of traction (and the driver didn't pee in the pants), then I say the car has good handling.

Edited by Nero159

Of cos of cos $$ dont come easy.

Tell u what, even if u not buying it. Go test drive the 335i Coupe(2door only I know u want a 4 door sedan). Then u know exactly the feeling of controlled n quality power/response. A lot of folks on the BMW forum have gone to test that car. Nothing but good reviews/feedback. I myself did 2 weeks back. if u like that kind of feel then one of the 3 series like a 325/330 maybe would be for u. However, if u just like smooth comfort n can forgo some power, then take the 5 series lah. Tua tua jiak [laugh]

But I really suggest u test drive this 335 before u make up yr mind. Its one farking good piece of product put together by those engineers [nod] If tomolo I strike my $50big/$50 small Tao Pio, I will place a deposit [kiss]

er.... the IS has a paddle shift that allows the setting of gear upshifts. Perhaps he has forgotten to release it?

Cos during the test drive, i found the flooring of the gas was truly thumbsup.gif leh..

Btw... ur italian stallion is the alfa poison?? sly.gifsly.gif

I know what u mean. When I drove that IS along Jervois n Tanglin road, I floored the throttle but the power delivery wasnt kicky. It went fast only after the car gained momentum after a while. It didnt feel like a sports sedan.

Neutral Newbie

Go test drive the 159 2.2JTS Selespeed and let us know which is a sportier drive.

Mine only a humble manual Italian junk lah; can't compare with high society Lexus jewels except when cornering [laugh]