Are Malaysian Van & Pickup Travel above 90Km/h

Picnic06-Biante15

I travelled along PIE daily and during the evening peak hour (turning right from Pioneer Road North to joint PIE) towards Changi Airport direction, I notice that a lot of MY vans & pickups travel at the extreme right (lane 1) at the speed more than 90 km/h. My vehicle (on lane 2) had clocked 95 km/h and they overtook me from right. [furious][furious]

Don't they have to confine to our legal speed limit for van, pickups, buses and lorries (70km/h on highway) and out of bound on the extreme right lane? [mad][mad][mad]

I have also notice that they do not carry our speed limit decal at the rear and our tour buses or passenger vans going to MY had to carry their speed limit decal. [sly][sly]

↡ Advertisement

Agreed, I had driven to MY many times over the years. Sometimes, even a Kancil can overtake you at NSH.

But, this is S'pore. I will be armed with my video the next time I travel along PIE to record the way the drive.

Those TP's, sometimes when they are needed, no where to be seen but when you don't need them, they are videoing you from above the bridge.

In Spore is definately not right for them to speed.

But hor....i think they are use to it liao. The MY coach i sat going to Genting....was speeding all the way there. Average 130 to 140km/hr. NO JOKE.....A 36-sitter coach maintaining that speed for 2-3 hours. I know, cos i sat right in front with the driver.

One thing i notice.....when going up to a road block....they are wave clear. Funny, many private cars kena...but this coach didnt. Fishy business among the MY police. [:p][:p][:p]

I travelled along PIE daily and during the evening peak hour (turning right from Pioneer Road North to joint PIE) towards Changi Airport direction, I notice that a lot of MY vans & pickups travel at the extreme right (lane 1) at the speed more than 90 km/h. My vehicle (on lane 2) had clocked 95 km/h and they overtook me from right. [furious][furious]

Don't they have to confine to our legal speed limit for van, pickups, buses and lorries (70km/h on highway) and out of bound on the extreme right lane? [mad][mad][mad]

I have also notice that they do not carry our speed limit decal at the rear and our tour buses or passenger vans going to MY had to carry their speed limit decal. [sly][sly]

of course our speed limits apply to them too lah... but no TP or speed camera so they cheong lor [laugh]

Isn't it the same thing can be said of Singaporeans when they speed along the malaysian roads? Malaysian roads have speed limits too you know.

If you want, you can out speed them lah.... if you're caught speeding, then good luck. But if MY cars/vans etc.... guess it'll just be a fine for them. Just the same when Sgp vehicles are caught speeding in Malaysia. Fine w/o demerit points. Hmmm... wonder if they have any demerit point system to begin with. [rolleyes]

yes they can.. it's a matter of whether they kena caught anot. any goods vehicle also can.

tat's wh the speed cam r for show. tat's why got all sorta monkey biz gg on. got papers discarded all over the road regularly. goods stack up high high nearly touch the sky. SMLC also choot pattern.

no TP no zhen hu.

Actually, our goods & heavy vehicle drivers are more law abiding than those from accross.

Although at times they do travel at lane 1 (which is due to traffic jam) along PIE but they will return to lane 2 or lane 3 after the jam.

Talking about culture, I love the way it was driven in Perth, Western Australia. I was there for holiday with my family in end Nov 06 for 8 days. A free & easy holiday inwhich I rented a vehicle (Toyota Tarago) and travel almost every parts of Perth.

In Perth, 90% of the drivers will keep 1 and a half car length from the front car. The moment you signal to enter into the next lane, the vehicle behind you will give way for you to enter. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

But in Singapore, the moment you signal, knn, some taxis or vehicles behind you will pull up faster beside you to prevent you from coming in. Worst still, some even horn or high beam you. [nod][nod][nod]

If you had ever caught in a jammed at both sides of the checkpoints, you would know what I mean. Majority of the cars will try to out squeeze each other to go to the front. We do have some who will give way to you (mostly those driving relatively new cars).

It is a totally different kind of driving experience in S'pore, MY and Western Australia.

The question is: those MY pickups or vans you saw, are they private registered vehicle or company (carry goods)? A lot of Mitsubishi Storm and vans in MY are private registered as personal car. Hence, they are not bounded by the 70km/h stickers you normally see on local trucks.

just a quick correction, since i'm a pickup driver myself. a G & Y-plate driver for the last 15 years or so...

actually, most vans and pickups stay within 70. not all. but the main problem will be hoggin the 2nd lane in the highway (as they hover between 60-80). it creates inconvenience for the private cars.

a handful go further, at about 80 (like me). at most 90. i think generally cars are ok if we only stick out to lanes 2&3 for overtakin.

the rare few daredevils go up to 100 (really few). and then hit lane 1 as well.

to be fair, i do drive cars as well over the years, so i can see both sides of the coin, and where each is comin from.

as for m'sia roads, we have pickups going in as well (legal or otherwise), even if you speed there, you get stopped. and while someone mentioned about demerit points, i believe they are more interested in the 'kopi charges'.

and of course, another unfair issue to us: all commercial vehicles are not allowed entry into m'sia. unless you have a valid permit, which requires plenty of paperwork, $$$, and hagglin with the authorities.

and like the rest of you, i'm a little perturbed by the lack of policin of these m'sian rides in sg roads.

weihui:

but even if pte registered, it's still subjected to goods speed limit under sg road laws. case in point are our doublecab pickups. private ownership, yet still slapped the 70km/h label.

Edited by Hdbanger

MY do not have seperate plates for private vehicles, m/cycles, van, pickup, buses and lorries. They all carries the same running number plates. The only exception is trailer or what they call "lorry panjang" but even the prime mover (lorry tau) use the same number plate.

but even if pte registered, it's still subjected to goods speed limit under sg road laws. case in point are our doublecab pickups. private ownership, yet still slapped the 70km/h label.

Doublecab pickups are diesel powered or petrol powered huh?

Same as you, I have driven all kinds of vehicles likes:- van, pickup, bus, lorry and even tanks -M113, AMX 13, V200, LUX 5 during my army days.

I hope TP would introduce the Demerit Points to MY drivers. With DP, they will have to oblige by our laws.

In Australia, the DP points also applied to all drivers while driving in the country. Once you hit the max point, you are bar from driving in any parts of Australia.

↡ Advertisement