COUGH-Lube at Xtra AMK

Genie47

OK I was at Xtra at AMK today.

Went to the automotive section and saw Coughlube selling there.

The 10W30 mineral oil is going for 29.90

The 5W30 blend is going for 39.90

Now here is the funny part. Somebody better tell the folks at Xtra to do more research.

Coughlube 5W40 now appears in two forms. The long tall slim bottle and the familiar curvvy bottle. The long tall slim bottle is going for 39.90 and the curvvy bottle is going for 43.xx. hur.gif

All volumes are 5L. The difference is the curvvy bottle says FULLY SYNTHETIC and the long tall slim bottle has no such words.....AH! I get it! FULLY SYNTHETIC = PAY MORE! laugh.gif

Both bottles say Tetrosyl on it. They are both the same oil at the same grade at 5W40. rolleyes.gif

↡ Advertisement

Think it not so slim lah, just boxy in looks.... I just used the squarish bottle which I understand to be the older packaging. (mine said produced in 2002)

I'm talking about the new bottle looks that is the same as the one at KOFFOR that is sold in the name of AutoChem. Also by Tetrosyl.

Yah.... read somewhere that oils have shelf life of like 5 years or something.... so bought cheap cheap.... then dose it with Shaeffer Moly EP. Car is still happy with it I suppose, since it nice and quiet still.....

Already done the price calculations. The "crappy" oil still cheaper with half dose of the Moly EP ~ $35. (Shaeffer costs like $39 for 4 ltrs which is not sufficient as I need 4.5 ltr)

Anyway, I've already done like 4 oil changes with the crappy stuff... although the life is only like 8K kms.... its alright for my application (like doing 7 sec century sprints daily coupled with 180km/h runs). [rolleyes]

Don't follow the Schaeffers' instructions. Most BITOGers know that the whole objective of these additives is to enhance the formulation and not to change the formulation. I have a lot of respect for Schaeffers but 1 pint is really too much. Most follow the guideline of 0.5-1oz/qt.

Nope... not WRX..... errr.... WRX wannabe. [rolleyes]

Half dose so that I don't want to have my FC suffer to badly. Moly EP bumps up the oil weight so to speak..... I dunno whether it protects my engine more... but I use it to extend the oil life (else the oil will be too thin at about 6K kms for me)

tetrosyl is prob trying to slowly bring up the price of their 5W40 either by changing the packaging, re-packaging the oil under another brand or BOTH...

with this kind of pricing, i really doubt that the oil is different...

They really screwed up the pricings. A bottle of Rain-x cost S$xx.80. Over a Homefix (a few stores away), it is at S$xx.50.

NTUC pricing S$0.30 more than Homefix? rifle.gif

Good thing I went over to check price. Got from Homefix instead.

So is this added together with new oil, or at say 5k km to "beef up" the lube to push all the way to 10k km?

Don't follow the Schaeffers' instructions. Most BITOGers know that the whole objective of these additives is to enhance the formulation and not to change the formulation. I have a lot of respect for Schaeffers but 1 pint is really too much. Most follow the guideline of 0.5-1oz/qt.

yalor, dont know why so many people got brain washed in thinking aunty lucy stuffs r cheap??... i always prefer neighbourhood provision shop if possible..... [:p]

↡ Advertisement