Intelligent versus Standard Keys

Nothingtodo

Turbocharged

You can lock/unlock 2 ways:

1. Use the lock/unlock function of the main unit. This means you can unlock/lock it without being too near the car but you have to fish the key out of your bag/pocket.

2. When you are standing next to the door, press the small button on the handle to lock/unlock. No need to fish the key out of your bag/pocket. More convenient.

The metal key is housed in the main unit and its purpose is that in case the battery in the main unit run dry, say in the middle of the night, you can still pull out the metal key from the main unit, unlock and drive off. Just like in the other cars using the conventional key system.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
Is your colleague's metal key really bare bone as in no plastic/pvc wrapping at the top part of the key? Maybe the chip is embedded in the plastic/pvc part which will disengage the engine immobiliser? This one I am not sure. Only the Tan Chong guys can comment.

Can you confirm that TC also gave you a BARE BONE Metal car key? I am sure since my colleagues is using that bare bone metal key for his latio.

Turbocharged

Your explanation makes sense. Hopefully, the Lexus and Latio system are similar.

There was a time I started the engine and then for some reason, got out of the car with the key still in my pocket, and the engine did not stall. But I got back into the car soon enough so not sure if it will still run for an extended period of time with sensing the key.

Turbocharged

I have 2 metal keys, one housed in the main unit and another spare at home. But they are not full bare bone metal keys. The top part of the key is wrapped in plastic/pvc and so my deduction that the chip may be hidden there.

Turbocharged
sure...Kiss29 is rite... u had better trust him [laugh][laugh]

You si bei funny. [laugh]

But one thing good about this intelligent key is that you will find it most convenient to open your car door during a super rainy day with your hands full of groceries/small kid/ [gorgeous] . No need to fish out key from the pocket. Just stick out 1 little finger and press the car door and voila! door unlocked.

But one thing not good is that I tend to forget if I had locked the door as there is no need to physically press the lock/unlock alarm function of the key before you walk off. I always need to double check.

with my Mit Outlander, i do not need to press the small button, just pull the door handle n open the car door. however, when i need to lock it, i need to press the small button to do so.

with all these discussion going on, anyone knows then what security features come with these ikey systems?

"I was told even if you make the master key, it will not work as there is a chip in the physical key which disengages the engine immobiliser before you can start the engine. So unless you can also duplicate the chip, it will not work with an "unauthorised" key."

You are told wrong my friend.

I am dead sure for the Latio and March master metal key is without the security chips.

Even the metal key that is inside the i-key is without any chips!!

Maybe cefiro/pressage/Z350 is higher security grade, do correct me.

correct u also waste time....

ppl already told u so.... u still say ppl wrong.

I tell u... I bo liao... spent $8 to get the key duplicated... come back... cannot start the car. Its either the one who duplicate the car is lousy, or my car is a lemon [laugh][laugh]

Turbocharged

Best system will be you don't even have to do anything. Just say "unlock and open" and the door will automatically unlock and open for you. Then after you get out of the car, say "close and lock".

Maybe my dream will come true some day.

"I was told even if you make the master key, it will not work as there is a chip in the physical key which disengages the engine immobiliser before you can start the engine. So unless you can also duplicate the chip, it will not work with an "unauthorised" key."

You are told wrong my friend.

I am dead sure for the Latio and March master metal key is without the security chips.

Even the metal key that is inside the i-key is without any chips!!

Maybe cefiro/pressage/Z350 is higher security grade, do correct me.

correct u also waste time....

ppl already told u so.... u still say ppl wrong.

I tell u... I bo liao... spent $8 to get the key duplicated... come back... cannot start the car. Its either the one who duplicate the car is lousy, or my car is a lemon [laugh][laugh]

U might wan to take a closer look at the i-key b4 making that comment. There is a chip at the side.

Neutral Newbie

"....my fren was fetching his wife in his L exus and he let his wife take over after dropping him off. he only realised that the key was still in his pocket afterwards. his wife was still able to drive the car and go home to get the spare key i think...."

If the key is not in the car and the driver drives off, there is a continuous warning tone inside the cabin and the display will show "Key Not Detected". It will not be a pleasant drive as the tone is quite irritating. [:)]

well, the newest mercedes S500 in germany has voice activated ignition and voice activated telephone dialing if i not wrong.saw it on Top Gear jusy say "mercedes on" and the car will start.... sweet ! [sly] same with switching off

sigh no wonder jeremy clarkson says we have to look as at the S class as the first pioneer of all things we can expect in other cars in a few years time...... [scholar]

↡ Advertisement