Borneo aims to sell over 4,500 Vios this year

Keithpapa

Neutral Newbie

Borneo aims to sell over 4,500 Vios this year

By C Y Chew - April 4, 2007

The Business Times

It looks like a mini-Corolla Altis and there is now an additional variant in the range, so it's not surprising to hear that 400 of the all-new Toyota Vios models have been sold since authorised distributor Borneo Motors started taking orders in early March.

The second-generation Vios was officially launched here last Friday with three different grades - a new entry-level J grade, plus E and G. All cars will be equipped with ABS and at least one airbag. The new Vios is also larger in all aspects than its predecessor and its 50mm longer wheelbase provides increased cabin space and a flat rear floor.

As a result, Borneo Motors hopes the new Vios will expand its already impressive customer base.

Over 6,500 units were sold last year and half of the new orders collected so far have been from people who have previously bought a Vios.

The Vios is the spiritual successor of the Toyota Soluna, the first Thai-made car to be sold in Singapore.

More than 445,000 units have been sold worldwide since it was launched in 2002.

Since then, Toyota vehicles made in Thailand have steadily gained acceptance among Singaporeans, and according to Toyota's assistant chief engineer Yasuharu Akigawa, quality is first-rate.

'Perhaps five to 10 years ago, Thailand might not have had the same assembly technology, but today the quality of Thai-made automobiles is definitely on a par with Japanese-made vehicles,' he says.

All the Thai-made cars for Asean markets are still developed in Japan before being 'localised' at Toyota Technological Centre Asia-Pacific.

'The Vios was designed from the start as a stand-alone vehicle,' Mr Akigawa says, through his translator.

'Yes, it shares a similar platform with the Toyota Yaris but it was developed as an independent vehicle from day one and not adapted from the Yaris platform.'

He says it is Toyota's aim that all models destined for Asean will eventually be manufactured in Thailand and that while there are no plans to export these vehicles back to Japan, cars like the Vios are already being sold in territories like Australia and the Middle East. Pricing for the Toyota Vios starts at $49,000 and Borneo Motors hopes to sell over 4,500 cars in the rest of this year.

Last year, the Toyota Vios was Singapore's fourth best-selling car - behind the Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Sunny and the best-seller Toyota Corolla Altis.

Except for 2006, the Vios had always been the third most popular model in Singapore since it was introduced here in January 2003.

When asked why the model was being replaced after only a relatively short time, Mr Akigawa says: 'A five-year shelf life is normal.'

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

4500 is 'easy' for a Toyota brand [:p]

if they lowered the price [sweatdrop]

Edited by Beei

Neutral Newbie

half the orders for new vios are from previos Vios owners! so these are really diehard supporters of Vios! [thumbsup] .. BM should have no problem achieving their targets & making Vios one of the most common cars on the roads! [laugh]

I am potentially one of them as I am thinking of changing my ride soon to either the new vios or civic FD. Will test drive both and see if the $15k difference is worth the prenium for getting civic.

Neutral Newbie

Civic FD and New Vios only 15k diff?

Did you mean Civic FD 1.6L?

What is price now for new vios and New Civic FD?

Neutral Newbie

the diff should be more than 15k if not considering all the finanical rebates etc. In your shoe b4, altis 1.6 vs civic 1.8(about 20k diff then), in the end, my wallet cum wife rules with min loan and shorter loan period. [:)] Happily driving since then without rattling. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

To be fair, vios is a good buy. Pick up and Fc is good for that price. I may revert to Vios after my altis expires. [:)] Missed it's FC.

Neutral Newbie
this is a reasonable aim, for 'T' badge easy to achieve this target [thumbsup] ,

even civic so ex also sold 5,000+ unit in 2006 [sweatdrop]

civic wins on design. If the new altis comes in, there should be another stir.

Neutral Newbie

The Original message have been removed by gadgeter.

This user is trying to advertise his business.

Edited by Gadgeter

i just went to look at the new vios. overall not too bad. i thk its an improvement over the previous model. but the boot is a bit small compared to city, and the rear seat is not foldable. the interior design and layout not as good as the Yaris. conclusion, i won't be one of the 4,500 buyer Borneo targetted. [laugh]

correction, rear seat is foldable if you get the G model...

comes with optirom (dun know the actual spelling), 4 disc wheel brakes, 60-40 foldable rear seat... [lipsrsealed]

i won't be tempted too... my old vios still serving me well [rolleyes]

half the orders for new vios are from previos Vios owners! so these are really diehard supporters of Vios! thumbsup.gif .. BM should have no problem achieving their targets & making Vios one of the most common cars on the roads! laugh.gif

Not me! laugh.gif Once bitten twice shy liaoz!

↡ Advertisement