Should I be compensated for late delivery?

Drafting88

I booked a car with a local PI.

In the sales agreement, it is stated delivery is 'within 1 to 3 months'.

The 3 months will be up this weekend. However, when I spoke to the SE two days ago, I was told that the car can only be delivered next week.

Contractually, do I have any rights to ask for compensation for this delay?

Thanks for any advice.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Technically speaking you can ask for some form of compensation. But do check your contract carefully for any "fineprints" before you do so...

U should be compensated in one way or the other....depending on how hard u BANG TABLE on them...... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Just curious....what car did u get ?????? maybe can reveal the first letter of the PI company.... [:p][:p][:p]

Neutral Newbie

You have the right as long as you have it written in black and white.

You can claim up to about $100 per day for loss of use.

Check out the car rental rate of a similar car and you can claim that amount.

I had a look at the small print on the back of a PI sales agreement, and it is stated that the delivery date where stated in contract is only "estimated" and not binding on them.

[:|]

And this was one of the so-called more reputable PIs on the list....I'd imagine all of them have this sort of clause to cover themselves.

Exactly. My sales agreement also stated similar to what you had written about the delivery date being 'an estimate'. Isn't it not fair for us buyers?

Yes. I will be trading in my existing car.

However, I feel they have to keep their side of the agreement too. I went to them because I believe they could deliver within the agreed timeframe and I agreed to pay their offer price based on that belief.

Neutral Newbie

If you are trading in your existing car and doing a 1-1 exchange when new car is delivered, there is no harm really. In fact you gain, since your existing car cease to depreciate once they commit a trade-in price. Unless they delay till you have to pay for the next round of road tax and insurance.

When I trade-in to buy new cars, it's always the dealers that keep pestering me to quicken the delivery. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Compensation is nice to hear but hard to get.... especially not stated how much to compensate if obligation not met.... or is delivery date of 1 to 3 mth guarantee [:|]

Table bang too hard, u might get heart attack and futher delay if they du lan. Afterall, these people have been in the trade for long time.... [shocked]

Before asking, do chk fineprint. The contract drafted by them. If u don't look properly, u might be in the losing end afterall. [sweatdrop]