BMW M3 vs Audi S5 (2007)

Watwheels

(edited)

This is a taken from car mag UK June edition.

Need to know

M3

3999 cc V8, 32V, 414 bhp @ 8300rpm [shocked] , 295 lb ft@ 3900 rpm

Transmission

6 speed manual RWD, LSD.

Performance

4.8s 0-62 mph, 155mph(limitied), 22.8 mpg

S5

4163cc V8, 32V, 354 bhp @ 7000rpm, 325lb ft @ 3500 rpm

Transmission

6 speed manual 4WD

Performance

5.1s 0-62mph, 155mph(limited), 22.8 mpg

Here's a pic of the M3's high revving V8, knn 414bhp@ 8300rpm [nosebleed]

Sorry about the poor pic quality. [:p]

post-3-1179632267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

In terms of performance they are almost on par. I look at the torque fig more than bhp fig. Even the FC stated is the same. [laugh]

What I'm surprise is the M3's V8 that can... what?.... redline at 9000~10 000 rpm?? [dizzy]

What normally V8s have is enormous torque at low rpm and not high revving. But this is other way around. [hur]

In other words, u have to thrash the engine to get the most of it. [sweatdrop]

Edited by Watwheels

I think 414bhp is US spec for M3 V8 because of emission rules. The european version is a tad higher at 420bhp. Its good to see all this competition between the car makers because its keeps the quality n price in check.

Neutral Newbie
heard Audi may be coming out with a RS5, so may be the spec of RS5 will be better?

The RS5 is in the pipeline. 4.2L biturbo 450hp at least and massive torque figures to boot.

if you had to ask me which one drives better. id close my eyes and easily say the M3 is definitely more dynamic, balanced and poised in the drive.......and this is coming from a diehard VAG enthusiast.

ultimately its not down to HP braggin rights or who has more power. both cars will find its own niche of customers. both will definitely do very well in worldwide sales without a doubt.

BTW, you cant compare the S5 to the M3 directly.

the S5 is positioned slighly below that of the M3 market.

RS5 better comparism.

Neutral Newbie

RS5 certainly look good. Can tell that most of the interior is incorporated into the new RS5. The Carbon fibre trims really gives you the R spec theme.

Can't wait for somebody to kindly let me test drive. haha

The S5 will be competing with the E92 335i, whereas the RS5 will lock horns with the E92 M3.

Stock to stock, it seems that the S5 has the E92 335i beat because of its V8 engine, driving dynamics and 4WD, according to the CAR article where they reviewed the S5. Even I, a current E92 335i owner, thinks that the Audi is definitely going to give BMW a good fight with its S5!

Only saving grace of the E92 335i, in Singapore's context, is the road tax... 4.2L V8 engine :) Or if the owner of the 335i is willing to chip the car, then its more of a level playing field where the 335i stats will increase from 306bhp to 370-380bhp and torque will jump from 400nm to 500nm.

Bring on the Audi S5, its definitely a HAWT ride... now who wants my E92 335i?

I think 414bhp is US spec for M3 V8 because of emission rules. The european version is a tad higher at 420bhp. Its good to see all this competition between the car makers because its keeps the quality n price in check.

Erm... this is taken from the UK mag....what US? [:/]

↡ Advertisement