Help - Ford Servicing

Underpaidsamurai

I am going to be sending my Ford Mondeo for it's 10k servicing on Monday.

Can I bring my own engine oil?

What brand should I get?

Where to buy?

How many to get?

Anything I need to ask Regent motors to look out for?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

My experience is that can bring your engine oil. But the different for with and without engine oil is only $40 for Focus.

As for choices of engine oil, it's all over the forum, you may want to do a search. I am using back Shell.

Regent has a check list after your servicing is done. You can look out for that too.

Neutral Newbie

I suggest for you to go back to regent to do the servicing. You can bring your own oil and filter. From experience, if you do not go back to regent for regular servicing and your car has problems along the way, regent will claim that you have not been doing the regular servicing with them and thus void the warranty. That means you have to pay the full cause of the damage and labour cost.

Hi all,

I have been driving the Focus MKII for approximately 1.5yrs and will be due for a 20k servicing soon. I have not been experiencing good fuel consumption (9-11km/l @ 50/50 highway/non highway) with a very relaxed driving habit (2k-2.5k revving). I have also been experiencing coarse engine feedback from the car as compared to the Honda Accord (2006 model) which I drive on a constant basis.

I was wondering whether the reason behind this could be due to the engine oil grade which Regent Motor uses and also the usage pattern of the car? I was told the default engine oil used is Shell Helix Ultra 10W-40. My Focus is also under utilized with frequent short distance trips.

Can anyone who owns the Focus MKII shed some light on a suitable engine oil and grade for my next servicing or even suggestions on how to improve the fuel consumption and engine coarseness? Would appreciate it very much! [rolleyes]

Thanks & regards,

Jetabout777

hello, i don't own a ford focus but i did do a research on this car before.

i think your fuel consumption is normal for all ford focus car. i read in the focus forum.

ford cars have high fuel consumption but they are stable and safe.

Dude thats considered normal for a focus. I always say, we're paying for an average 2L car consumption with the 1.6L engines.

This coming from someone who's been driving the mk1 focus for 4 years.

Neutral Newbie

For Focus MKII, 9-11km/l is normal. Sometimes I get 8km/l when I drive 30/70 highway/non highway. Used to drive MKI and the fuel consumption was marginally better. When you drive European cars, you must forget about fuel consumption and enjoy the superior drive and handling that non-European 1.6L cars cannot offer. The power is also quite bad. When I want to speed up, I switch to manual, 1-2 gear to feel more power and overtaking abilities.

Hi all,

I have been driving the Focus MKII for approximately 1.5yrs and will be due for a 20k servicing soon. I have not been experiencing good fuel consumption (9-11km/l @ 50/50 highway/non highway) with a very relaxed driving habit (2k-2.5k revving). I have also been experiencing coarse engine feedback from the car as compared to the Honda Accord (2006 model) which I drive on a constant basis.

I was wondering whether the reason behind this could be due to the engine oil grade which Regent Motor uses and also the usage pattern of the car? I was told the default engine oil used is Shell Helix Ultra 10W-40. My Focus is also under utilized with frequent short distance trips.

Can anyone who owns the Focus MKII shed some light on a suitable engine oil and grade for my next servicing or even suggestions on how to improve the fuel consumption and engine coarseness? Would appreciate it very much! [rolleyes]

Thanks & regards,

Jetabout777

1. 9-11km/L for your driving pattern is considered good.

2. Good NVH is not really Ford's forte.

3. Try Mobil1 5w-30 (not those cheap 5w-50 ones from carrefour). But Shell Helix Ultra is ok. not much difference compared to mobil1 except with mobil1, less vibration.

4. If you are using RON95, try switching to RON98. You may get better FC. The tradeoff could be better taking into account RON98 is about $7-8 more expensive per tank.

5. If you want good FC Ford, you should get their manual trans. their auto is smooth but torque converter eats up too much power.

While generally Ford Focus is a very reliable, safe, stable, and fun car to drive (even comfortable).... its overall package is not as good as other cars like Civic or Golf. Ford's strength is their chassis and steering and crash worthiness (with Volvo's help), but their weakness in engine and auto trans put them behind their rivals.

Hi all,

Thanks & regards,

Jetabout777

Its pretty normal for the mkII to get such FC figures, especially if you drive it for short trips most of the time.

To get better FC, you could use lesss viscous lubricants, eg. W20 grade. Do a check with your manual to confirm. But with less viscous oil, the engine will sound even coarser.

W50 will could make your engine sound better, but its not going help much on the FC department.

I'm getting about 7-8km/l on my mk3 mondeo, which is irritating when petrol is getting more and more expensive these days.

Actually, find the focus quiet enough (MkII ST), comparable with my 325i actually. My MK1 was noiser, and you're right, the auto trans eats up too much power and fuel, as I managed to get about 12 to 13km/l previously on manual trans (MK1).

Would not trade the chassis, steering, handling and safety for anything else in its class thumbsup.gif

it'll be a dream if RM brings in the 2.0TDCi manual Titanium trim.

It would have been enough power with reasonably good fuel economy for most people.

If only there is no punitive diesel tax.

sometimes i wonder if we are really promoting green or not, imposing punitive tax on supposedly cleaner engine.

(edited)

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. Appreciate it very much!

I am thinking of changing my engine oil's grade to 5W-30 as mentioned by Miles. Besides that, 5W-30 is also one of the engine oil grades recommended for the car as stated in the owner's manual. In addition, it may prove to be a good balance between engine coarseness as well fuel efficiency imo.

Does anyone here drive a Focus MKII as well? Any recommendations on engine oil?

Thanks & Regards,

Jetabout777

Edited by Jetabout777

Just to divert a little. I was travelling on one of the new SAF Focus MKII GP Cars. Its engine was really smooth (May be a different engine). Nothing near the MKII I am driving. Came with side airbags and multi-function steering wheel as well!!

Anyone here know about the exact specifications of the SAF Focus MKII GP Car? I am sure all of us here would be interested. [laugh]

There are 2 versions of 1.6L from Ford for the focus, so it might be the 115bhp version instead of the 100bhp one which is first available in singapore

↡ Advertisement