Customise housing for 4 inch focal 100kp comp speakers

Newkid

hi folks, need help on where i can customise housing for my 4 inch mid rage speakers to be mounted on the dashboard. thanks in advance [:)]

↡ Advertisement

the miso soup bowl can be found in Daiso at $2 each

just nice to fit my 2 pairs of 4"

u may want to add some sound proofing material inside

or go to ikea to get the thicker, wooden bowl for $10+ each

Neutral Newbie

apart from the frequent usage of sound processing in the car, are there really many differences in terms of implementation of hardware?

i.e. the cd player, the wires, the speakers, the enclosures, all follow the same principles.

Yes and no. Lets talk about the DIFFERENCES first.

In home, the type of connect right from the power source all the way to the drivers require delicate attention. For eg using IEC plugs, using power filters/conditioners, "floating/dampening the equipments" from vibration through using isolation pads/cones/pods etc to using short length of I/C as far as possible. These are just the icebergs of the differences.

Now, let's talk about the similiarities. You will realise that the components and parts used in car audio's amplifiers and crossovers are generally on par, if not, sometimes better than home audio and we are talking about value-to-value comparison. The manner in which the signal flows through from the source right to the reproduction stage is generally the same as well.

So which has more? I beg to think that home audio is really much better because size does matter. I am talking about the acoustic volume, the regulated power supply and the many wonders you can play with the placement of the hardwares. This, in car, is often limited because of space. The speakers are not given enough space to "breathe" and you will probably realise that the size of whatever thing you play in car is often miniaturised.

Edited by Sarong1

Neutral Newbie

certainly it's really much better, there isn't any doubt.

and where the example of plugs, conditions etc are concerned, there isn't any "difference" - both sides wanna use plugs, power line conditioning. i guess the vibration-dampening is less applicable in cars due to its mobile nature, but who knows, maybe also got good effect.

so it's not really different mah. and as for size, everything is done on larger scale. all the same things - just larger.

Why not put it this way although I am quite reluctant to compare both since there is really no basis. I will surmise it this way.

"The same type of equipments when applied in different acoustics, should have varying results."

Full Stop.

Neutral Newbie

which is the point in my response - are they really different? the "modifications" made to drivers for "car use", apart from simply playing with impedances and weather-proofing, are they trying to do some form of compensation?

i have not yet come across any concrete "mods" manufacturers do to drivers to make them outstanding compared to home drivers.

"The same type of equipments when applied in different acoustics, should have varying results."

this is something often disregarded. although home audio can be played in an enclosed room, the magnitude of cabin gain in a car is so tremendous that it changes the way low-frequency drivers should be implemented. a common result of this misunderstanding is that subwoofers are often set WAY too loud. also, we often have a misunderstanding of how much subsonic frequency we require in a car to achieve a flat response. often, we demand to FEEL distinctly the 20hz vibration, and that is way too "loud".

this is something often disregarded. although home audio can be played in an enclosed room, the magnitude of cabin gain in a car is so tremendous that it changes the way low-frequency drivers should be implemented. a common result of this misunderstanding is that subwoofers are often set WAY too loud. also, we often have a misunderstanding of how much subsonic frequency we require in a car to achieve a flat response. often, we demand to FEEL distinctly the 20hz vibration, and that is way too "loud".

Hyun, this I agree with you totally. In fact, if you are to play some music in the car and stand outside the car to listen, you will probably have a good sensing just what freq are propagated outside the car and what really remains as rebounce in the car.When we say a generally flat response, we do not only refer to the spectrum balance, but also the sound pressure balance. Remember that each set of speakers in the car are supposed to complement each other to reproduce a full-range spectrum faithfully. There should not be a case where the subwoofer, for eg, outperforms the rest of the components, because that will mean, imbalance and unnatural. We can discuss more.

I know I'm actually getting myself frustrated by participating in this discussion...but...what the heck....

You know why dogs like to lick their own balls? Because they CAN.

So, you know why people like to feel the 20hz vibration in the car? Because they CAN. QED. At home, it demands much more to be able to do that. In a live envirnoment, well, perhaps with the exception of disco/clubs, these low freq are hardly reproduced. But in clubs, people MUST have that....look at how many hugh subwoofers they use and what power is driving them....

Whether or not you think it's natural or not...really depends on what music you're playing. And of cos, individual preferences. If my monkey business tracks don't have that umphhh in the sub ranges...I know it's wrong....but when I switch back to something else...i may be getting too much of sub...so how?

Neutral Newbie

> Re: Customise housing for 4 inch focal 100kp comp speakers

hehe looks like we're both way off topic. perhaps another difference is that in home application, using narrower-dispersion drivers isn't a big sin. in car audio, we'll need to know what we're doing when mounting narrower-dispersion drivers, or just stick to the traditional wide dispersion ones.

depends on what drivers, playing what range...and where they're mounted. agree...dispersion is one impt consideration.

↡ Advertisement