How to adjust your seat to get best driving position?

Thermodynamics

Neutral Newbie
Adjust your seat so that your leg when pressing fully on the brake or accelerator is not straight. It should be slightly bend. Hands on steering wheel and your arms should be bend at an angle of around 90 degree. Seat belts should be firm...you should be able to slip your fist between the belt and your body without any problem. If you can adjust the belt height from the B-pillar, it should slip over your shoulder and not higher or lower. Sitting position should be slightly lean back (while maintaining your steering-arm position). Centre of the headrest should be at the back of your head to protect it from whiplash.

I tot this kinda thingy learn driving that time would have taught you already ? Returned to the coach liao ah ?

I have friend telling me the same thing also.. to make sure that my legs is not stright when depressing fully on the brake or accelerator.. Just in case when i had to e-brake.. at least i won't hurt my back..

↡ Advertisement

Hi all

Is there a proper way to adjust our car seat to get the best driving position? Can share what you know and what you do?

Nowadays cars come with telescopic steering wheel. My ride is equipped with it but I never adjust it all.

Best driving position is .... to be driven .... [laugh][laugh]

The driving position suggested in the article below, I feel, is too close to the steering wheel. The hands should be at a 45 degree angle, rather than a 90 degree angle. The driver's legs are also at a 90 degree angle which is wrong. Should be at 45 degree angle. 

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=102&PN=1

Driving posture in top picture is incorrect. The headrest should also be pulled up higher, to prevent whiplash in event of an accident. Driver looks like a 'L' plate driver. Think he is nervous posing for the shoot.  [laugh] 

Driving posture in bottom picture is correct.

post-27974-0-15560900-1445090793_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-00379200-1445090850.jpg

Edited by Vinceng

It also depend what car and auto or manual. If it's manual van closer to steering is ok coz the seat is higher and the angel of the legs to clutch brake etc is different compare to manual car.

Leg and arm position is subjective and depends on your height and available adjustment features in your car. For example, some cars may not have both rake and reach for the steering wheel.

Legs should be able to depress the brake/clutch pedal and still maintain a slight bend. Wrists should be able to rest on top of the steering wheel without having to lean forward from your seat. This will ensure you have a bend in your arms when holding the steering wheel in any position. 

That headrest is definitely way too low. Top of the headrest should match up to the top of your head.

Base on the Tiko Ranger manual.... so long as 1 hand can touch the xmm all over and the other hand can control the steering... its the optimal position... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

For years I've put up with headlights in my rear view mirror at night coz I've a low car. It feels like drivers are high beaming me half the time , though it's just those LED headlamps.

I wonder if cars behind can see the reflection in my mirror. I always have to turn it upwards coz it's that bad I can't see.

I tried adjusting seat height and distance but not much help. Anyone has any tips?

For years I've put up with headlights in my rear view mirror at night coz I've a low car. It feels like drivers are high beaming me half the time , though it's just those LED headlamps.

I wonder if cars behind can see the reflection in my mirror. I always have to turn it upwards coz it's that bad I can't see.

I tried adjusting seat height and distance but not much help. Anyone has any tips?

Its normal.. you could get autodimming mirrors or with the manual type, leave it in glare reduced position.

You could jack up the suspension too

Same to me,when i drive my Fairlady,if a SUV behind followed me too close,i will either speed up,if i can or let the SUV pass first...

↡ Advertisement