Car map reading lights

Kelpie

Hi guys,

1. My car doesn't come with a map reading lights or side lamp at the rear. Thinking of fixing them, each by the side, at the top of the window area.

2. I would prefer those press button type. Any recommendation on which car made has nice rear map reading lights or side lamp that I can use. The WS people told me wiring is a very simple job, just find my own lights.

Please advise me. Thank you.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

dat time the NEC guys conducted a DIY session 2 fix maplite..they fabricate metal clamp to hold maplite,used altis maplite..most scary is cutting ur roof interior..

wiring tap from the cabin lite..not sure if u feel comfy cutting ur roof interior.

1. Those aftermarket fancy LED are not suitable, some of them also too beng in design.

2. I also don't like wire lying around in the cabin. Not quite what I want but this is a good example. This one is mounted at the center of the front cabin. I need those that are found by the two sides of the rear cabin. Such lights are usually found in conti and more expensive cars.

Regards,

DSC00147

Edited by Kelpie

but that means you need to cut your roof and pay installer to run your wires.

Is that what you want? then those accessories shop shd be able to help you. when I go autobac, there's some choices there but if you ask me, it look ugly coz the colour matching might be an issue.

Frankly, Yeobh's suggestion is the better one. If you want the light, plug it in and you get it.

Why not get a rear-view mirror with map-reading lights? Huggable got 2 maplights imported from Ebay USA, complete with mounting kits.

Took them off when his Sephia was sent for scrap last year.

post-1-1189429821_thumb.jpg

post-1-1189429822_thumb.jpg

but that means you need to cut your roof and pay installer to run your wires.

Is that what you want? then those accessories shop shd be able to help you. when I go autobac, there's some choices there but if you ask me, it look ugly coz the colour matching might be an issue.

Frankly, Yeobh's suggestion is the better one. If you want the light, plug it in and you get it.

1. I think getting a professional to run the wire and install on the roof is a neater way.

2. Nope. Those accessories shop can't offer what I want. They all tell me to go visit showroom or scrapyard and see which car rear cabin lights I like, buy it and then they will install for me. Do you know which car rear cabin roof lights look the best?

3. I don't like to plug anything on the ciggy lighter. I want to give the rear cabin passenger to turn on and off the light as they wish.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

Why not get a rear-view mirror with map-reading lights? Huggable got 2 maplights imported from Ebay USA, complete with mounting kits.

Took them off when his Sephia was sent for scrap last year.

Erm..Thanks but not what I want leh. I need it for the rear cabin not at the driver seat.

Regards,

1) Neater? maybe.. if it's well installed but just think about having to bring down your roof lining to cut and run wiring? and the cost of doing such thingy. Well, if cost is not of concern, go ahead.

2) Instead of telling you which look the best, tell us what is your interior colour and after so many years, what is the current look of your roof lining. then go and check out scrapyard and see what they have. More cabin light from S class to QQ look very much similar..

You can try the one on a saab 95. Can do adjustment but that's for the front.

3) Frankly, I don't concur with this incentive of ours. Having a rear light on will means that you will compromise the view thru your rear mirror. Moreover, your car behind don't have light meh? I tot it's either front and back or one in the center?

What car you driving? maybe change car is better option. Since you have money for these, I think changing a car shd be easier as well [:p]

Cheers...

Edited by Sony

Hi guys,

1. My car doesn't come with a map reading lights or side lamp at the rear. Thinking of fixing them, each by the side, at the top of the window area.

2. I would prefer those press button type. Any recommendation on which car made has nice rear map reading lights or side lamp that I can use. The WS people told me wiring is a very simple job, just find my own lights.

Please advise me. Thank you.

Regards,

You want for aesthetic or utility purpose? For utility purpose, buy a head band with LED. More bright, more focus and serve more purposes, like searching hair on your carpet! That what's I got for my ride.

) Neater? maybe.. if it's well installed but just think about having to bring down your roof lining to cut and run wiring? and the cost of doing such thingy. Well, if cost is not of concern, go ahead.

2) Instead of telling you which look the best, tell us what is your interior colour and after so many years, what is the current look of your roof lining. then go and check out scrapyard and see what they have. More cabin light from S class to QQ look very much similar..

You can try the one on a saab 95. Can do adjustment but that's for the front.

3) Frankly, I don't concur with this incentive of ours. Having a rear light on will means that you will compromise the view thru your rear mirror. Moreover, your car behind don't have light meh? I tot it's either front and back or one in the center?

What car you driving? maybe change car is better option. Since you have money for these, I think changing a car shd be easier as well

Cheers...

1. It is just a piece of farbic/foam roof at the end of the day. It is not expensive to do the wiring work. It is cost of the light.

2. My roof is grey. As like most car, my car has a center ceiling light. I don't like my children to switch it on to read. So I guess, it will be better to have a side mounted light for them to use instead.

Regards,

You want for aesthetic or utility purpose? For utility purpose, buy a head band with LED. More bright, more focus and serve more purposes, like searching hair on your carpet! That what's I got for my ride.

Can't expect children to wear head band with LED to read. If want to search for hair, I will get a touchlight.

Regards,

to have a better throw of lights, then it will have to be centrally mounted.

If you have it side mount, it's not ideal for reading. Even if you want to encourage reading, i think there's a proper place for it. Car is definitely not one of them.

Anyway, try to look for the saab one. Shd be better coz it can be adjusted.

1. SG is too small. It is more useful for long distance traveling up North.

2. Since I'm not a Saab owner, can I go to their agent to buy their parts?

Thank you.

Regards,

can but not sure if it's suitable for your car. moreover, it's the previous gen Saab 95

and it's not going to be cheap.

I tot scrapyard is a better place.