Learning to play the piano - some questions

Estrangable

I always wanted to learn to play the piano ever since i was young but wasnt able to afford it then. Always dream of playing november rain like axl rose of guns and roses.

Now i can afford it, and i think it's time to put my dreams into action

Some questions to check with bros here....

1) Where is a good place to learn? Any recommendation? I'm looking for a music school but there are just too many choices

2) Dumb question...but is it too late? I'm in mid 20s and everyone has been telling me that i'm too old to start.

3) Should i get a piano first then go for lessons or vice versa? I'm looking at those digital pianos first before getting the real mccoy...

Please kindly share your experiences or advices!!

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

1) i think christofori is a fine school from learn. go for the pop song adult classes since u not the classical kind..

2) never too late to learn anything.. but fingers are not as nimble compare to the kids.. effort are much much needed.

3) get those digital pianos.. they are not made to feel like those normal kind. book for classes, go for 1 lesson and search online for which pianos suits u best and then get advice from the instructor..

happy learning..

Never too late to learn anything... Good for you... thumbsup.gif

I picked up piano myself but I don't know how to read those tow gays... I'm a chord person as I jumped from guitar...

My advise is

1. Get a feel of the piano and see if yo like it first. Look around for someone who can give you a 'feeler lesson'. Wifey teacehs but soli bro..she super busysweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

2. Dun go to the skools yet....get one thta you wan 'ala carte' and to suit your time

All the best....maybe we have another Bach in the makingthumbsup.gifthumbsup.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

1) i think christofori is a fine school from learn. go for the pop song adult classes since u not the classical kind..

2) never too late to learn anything.. but fingers are not as nimble compare to the kids.. effort are much much needed.

3) get those digital pianos.. they are not made to feel like those normal kind. book for classes, go for 1 lesson and search online for which pianos suits u best and then get advice from the instructor..

happy learning..

Thanks for all the reply. How much is the difference between school and private lessons?

Thanks

Neutral Newbie

Never too late [thumbsup]

I also just started cos my son learning .... he learn from teacher and I learn from his note and music book .... and we practise together [:p]

But age is a disadvantage ..... I need to put in more effort and time to keep up with my kid ..... esp. getting both hands to co-ordinate [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

I like the electric piano cos they have pre-recordings and allows you to practise one hand at a time with the pre-recorded songs.

[wave] same same, also want to learn when young but dunno why go to learn art instead [:p] It's never to late to start, I start learning last year and I'm enjoying it now [nod]

sch- 1) according to a standard of rules and regulation to a certain grading system of your piano skills

2) time slots are rather fix like sec sch, not that flexible

3) might not be a fixed instructor

pte- 1) according to the individual's grading system.

2) time highly flexible unless she/he is a highly wanted instructor

3) always the same one.. u can't siam her/him [laugh][laugh]

i can't think for more difference now.. brain dead after a meeting.. [:|]

OK, for me,

Let's say I guarantee you from dunno how to play until you can play-and-sing at least 20 songs from G&R Illusion1 and Illusion2 album (Saw from your avatar U like Guns & Roses).

I charge $50. ha ha ha ha ha Cheap?

You also get to learn reading notes, chords and tabs.

Interested?

Just PM me .

Oh yes, I have 2 folk guitar, 3 classical guitar, 1 bass guitar, 2 electric guitar, so you dun even have to buy your own beginner's guitar. You buy only after you master. thumbsup.gif

http://kcarclubsg1975.spaces.live.com/

Edited by Viviobluerex

Neutral Newbie

for school, it depends on the grade as well. i used to learn from christofori but have already stop taking my lessons since 2003.

anyway, if my memory never fails me, grade 3 and below is close to but less than $100 per month. and from grade 4 onwards, it's more than $100 per month. cost will increase as you move up the grade.

1) Where is a good place to learn? Any recommendation? I'm looking for a music school but there are just too many choices

Yamaha pop school is a nice place to start out... for adult learners...

2) Dumb question...but is it too late? I'm in mid 20s and everyone has been telling me that i'm too old to start.

Nope, never too late to start. Even if you are 50, you can still learn.

3) Should i get a piano first then go for lessons or vice versa? I'm looking at those digital pianos first before getting the real mccoy...

Nothing is a rule actually. Go where you like. Piano is a good start though.

Basics like theory of music is nice to know. Then learning how to play. Need not be piano or what, but appreciate music along the way.

Piano is a piano, doesn't matter if its Digital or real acoustics.

Even for acoustics, the feel and touch is different. Don't need to compare with digital

However, in SG, digital seems to fit well. Plug in earphones.. and you can play your nights away without waking your neighbours... and no need to spend money twice yearly to tune your piano coz.. digital.. always perfectly tuned...

Edited by Madsumm
↡ Advertisement