Learning to play the piano - some questions

Estrangable

Steinway & kias (sons) are renowned piano makers, of course good lah. Digital keyboards are a totally different league from the clavis. Can't really compare them side by side. But I really feel that the clavis offer the best of both worlds. The CVPs are closer to the real pianos but come at a higher price. What you can look out for are either 2nd hands or display models, they are usually much cheaper (up to 50% or more).

↡ Advertisement

Well, my point is, its not that worth to get a CVP if one is seriously intending to go all the way to diploma level. If it's for the non serious, maybe, a bit of mixing... do a bit of tunes, export into midi files..etc then can consider the clav...

2nd hand models (I also went to a big 2nd hand place to kpo too..) .. depends alot on your luck... I see some people selling off 8-10 yr old entry level yamaha at 2k+ [hur] And the condition wasn't very good to begin with. Also all the strings were replaced (of questionable quality).

Thats where I learn that it is the origin of the wood matters a lot for the 'resale' value of the piano... but as usual, you have some sellers who are delusional. [laugh]

but pianos aren't really my interest... [laugh]

Like I said, I got a feeling that Estrangable doesn't intends to run full grades at the moment.

Like I said again, between all pianos, irregardless its digital or acoustic, between brands, weight of keys are totally different. Feel is totally different.

I do know of a digital grand which has really heavy touch as compared to D series of mini grand Yamaha itself. But again, it doesn't matter. "Its not the tool, its the person who use it."

Of course, if Estrangable would like to go through grading system, then its a long haul. For that, I have a totally different suggestion. But now, I guess he would just like to enjoy himself and learn as much as possible. Also its a test for himself to see how far he goes. If he is all in for the tests and go for grades, I think he will know what to invest and how to further himself by then without us cramping his brain with our suggestions.

:)

Rgds

Hello guys,

We are toking about lessons here, not about piano...

If Estrang wanna ask about pianos, he will..

Nothing is right or wrong.

Digital now are really good compared years ago. Acoustics are fine too.

But then again, I don't think we should discuss about the piano topic.

With music, everyone has their preference. I only talk the practical cheap alternative. Because, its the musician, not the instruments that matters.

Rgds

the entry level CLP keys are of different weights than the higher levels. [sweatdrop]

Anyway, I've tried out for myself for 2 models of the CLP, don't like the keys even compared to their acoustic T121. The CLPs are too 'fake'.

AFAIK, casio and roland are the leaders of digital keyboards/pianos, as usual, my info may be dated.

Btw, have you touched a steinway? Lovely piece of art.... I know not highest quality brand, but maybe I sua ku never see before. [laugh] Bo bian, I noobie ma. That day when I saw, i keep molesting the piano. [laugh][lipsrsealed]

Anyway, these are some luxuries I can't have anymore... can only dream. [laugh]

Again, I beg to differ.. you should try more.... really open your mind and try more :)

But then again, touch on steinways are amazingly light... do you know? :)

Kawaii has amazingly light touch compared with uprights of Yamaha.

C-class and D-Class grand has totally different toning and touch as well. Even between C1 C2 and C3s.

Let's not even start digital piano... haha..

This discussion will go on forever as with audiophile equipment. Luxuries or not is not what we are looking, but the essence of what the musician learns and appreciate that does.

Rgds

Edited by Madsumm

I can teach you for a small fee.

PM me.thumbsup.gif

I teach guitars, drums and bass guitars too for part time.

http://kcarclubsg1975.spaces.live.com/

u got teach saxaphone? confused.gif

Nope. I dun teach Wind Instruments - Clarinet, Saxophones, Oboes, Flute....etc.

I teach Brass Instruments, ie: trumpet, trombone, horn....etc.

http://kcarclubsg1975.spaces.live.com/

Like I said, I got a feeling that Estrangable doesn't intends to run full grades at the moment.

Like I said again, between all pianos, irregardless its digital or acoustic, between brands, weight of keys are totally different. Feel is totally different.

I do know of a digital grand which has really heavy touch as compared to D series of mini grand Yamaha itself. But again, it doesn't matter. "Its not the tool, its the person who use it."

Of course, if Estrangable would like to go through grading system, then its a long haul. For that, I have a totally different suggestion. But now, I guess he would just like to enjoy himself and learn as much as possible. Also its a test for himself to see how far he goes. If he is all in for the tests and go for grades, I think he will know what to invest and how to further himself by then without us cramping his brain with our suggestions.

:)

Rgds

Thanks Mad, you are right. I intend to learn and enjoy myself first. Taking all the grade tests will be a future option. But definitely not now.

then castrate him.. bloody hell.. u dun touch .. how u buy..

like u dun test drive.. how u know the car suites u?

still remember the RX8 saga i had with Mazda, put deposit first (non-refundable) of 20k then can test drive... WTF?

I go test drive merc/bmw/alfa which costs 1/3 more oso no need deposit... really KNS these ppl.. hahaha

Rgds

Okay, agree that if its not the full grades pursuit, then probably he might not need. But I am just appalled when someone just says 'a piano is a piano'.

How can a instrument, an instrument when there is so much difference in the feel and sound produced? A normalisation of what is all quality... just something I can't accept I guess. [:)]

i agree.

Thread starter,

my personal advise for you is to learn on a real piano if you want to learn and play real piano songs. the sound of piano hammers hitting the strings is pure, distinct and penetrates the air differently from a digital piano.

if you want to learn to play pop songs or just learn music bean sprouts, then it doesn't matter if you practise on a digital piano.

you have to also look at what sort of foundation you want to build, i.e. look at what objective you want to achieve.

i'm not trying to be showy but just something i can share with you as i've gone through all 8 grades of piano.

Piano is a piano, doesn't matter if its Digital or real acoustics.

Even for acoustics, the feel and touch is different. Don't need to compare with digital

However, in SG, digital seems to fit well. Plug in earphones.. and you can play your nights away without waking your neighbours... and no need to spend money twice yearly to tune your piano coz.. digital.. always perfectly tuned...

I beg to differ, if you actually intend to go through all 9 grades of the piano, you will not say this.

There are so much difference in the key weights between digital and real piano. Even a high quality digital keyboard with weighted keys will not sound the same, will not play the same as pianos using strings.

It's just like saying a guitar is a guitar, but everyone knows the wood quality of a guitar matters so much that it determines whether the sound come out is crap or a note. It's the same for piano and other instruments.

IMHO, digital piano can only max allow one to go up to grade 6. Beyond that, have to invest on a real piano, the catch here is, if your habits and foundation has been wrong (because it was not corrected ) from the digital stage, its very hard to unlearn and learn back the good habits to get all the feel correct.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Sillymonkey

i think it's really diffiuclt as a working adult to go through the standard learning process of getting the grades.

I'm thinking of just learning the basic and trying to enjoy myself as much as possible before moving to taking the grades.

Anyway, for a budget for 1.5k to 2.5k, can anyone recommend a good digital piano for me?

I'm looking at yahama P series or kawai ES....Prefer a digital cos can just plug in the headphones without worrying of noise pollution!

Care to share? Thanks!