Learning to play the piano - some questions

Estrangable

i think it's really diffiuclt as a working adult to go through the standard learning process of getting the grades.

Not true, just takes quite a bit of conviction that you can do it. [;)]

1. buy keyboard (more keys the better)

2. get an idiot's guy to playing piano

3. practise an hour a day

4. practise one song and one song only until you get it right

thats how i learnt until i became a one trick pony, but a damn good trick.

[:p]

You can say that as well, depending on which angle you look at.

For me, when performance with any piano I'm fine. Cause I found out its not the instrument, but how the musician makes the best of the instrument. I can bitch about how bad an instrument is, but at the end of the day, its me that will make it sound. Not instrument by itself.

Each instruments have their bad points, none is perfect. I don't like some brand doesn't mean professionally I don't want to play them because its not "quality" enough.

That is my point.

"Its not the instrument, its the musician."

Rgds

Fair enough. That does sounds familiar too. [laugh]

No one will say an instrument will sound good if the player is bad. (ie. good car + bad driver )

But it needs a good player to bring out the full potential of the instrument. If the instrument is not good, your own playing potential is limited by the instrument. Thats what I'm trying to say... thats why some players progressively change their instruments. (esp piano players, knn sibei rich..) [:p]

And a piano is not something that one will buy out of whim, well.. thats my opinion. Because, spend a few K, then realise you need something better... you need to dispose of the old piano just to get a better one. Thats why I encourage people who buy piano to get the real deal if they are going seriously into it. Reading scores, play by sight...the works.

Otherwise, is really not much of a use. Imho.

I know i'm going to be flamed for this... look at those guitar players, those who are self taught try to pick up tabs instead of scores, end up memorising the tabs. But that is just it, if you throw them any musical score, they will be stuck. They will need a tabs version, which ironically is written by someone who knows scores pretty well!

Someone who knows the scores, will be able to easily transverse to other instrument and do composing and mentoring.

This is the difference in having good foundation and horned skills.

IMHO, there is only one way of learning music, the hard way.

Edited by Slowmo