Our Singapore driving license

Lexxmexx

Can our normal class 3 license be used on other countries, like USA? Or do we need to make special applications before going abroad?

↡ Advertisement

I can confirm UK and Australia no need IDP. I think USA also no need. Check with their tourism authority. Forget about asking AAS. They will tell you to apply for IDP.

Edited by Dumb

Neutral Newbie

for aus .. if it is for a short tour... it is not necessary... however if you are gonna be there for more than 3 months then yes!!

• Praise 1

Commonwealth Countries or those right hand drive vehicles do not require a IDP. For those countries with left hand drives require one.

But, it is save to apply one (I think is $20/- for 1 year) from AAS at River Valley Road as insurance policy defers and problem if making claim. Everybody wants a safe holidays so it is advisable to apply one.

[wave]

Since our licence is in English, for most English-speaking countries like US, UK and Aus, you don't need an international licence, but checked with individual countries to confirm.

I used to get international licence but found it not necessary in US. I visit there on many occasions and rent from Avis. They will accept Sg licence.

Can our normal class 3 license be used on other countries, like USA? Or do we need to make special applications before going abroad?

I drove in USA and UK before and these countries don't require International Driving permit as Singapore is part of the commwealt. Another hint: They're willing to accept as long the driving license is printed and readable in English

Edited by Hotsoup
  • Praise 1

Sorry, just to check if driving a msia car in msia needs to apply for the IDP??

lets say if i am going to stay there for less than one week...

need to apply??

Really?

hmm..

thanks..

confused cos my gf's bro in law says i need to have the permit lst before i drive..

that's why dont allow me to drive their cars..hahaa

Edited by Byond

Neutral Newbie
for aus .. if it is for a short tour... it is not necessary... however if you are gonna be there for more than 3 months then yes!!

For Australia, even for long stay (I only stayed 3yrs+) you don't have to apply. Our SGP license is good enough as the police would ask for it instead. Unless you become a PR than they'll punch a hole in your SGP license and issue you a AUS license (OT)!

Ok confirm, our license can be used in the US. I just rented a JEEP but I need to get used to everything on the right side, including the gear knob [sweatdrop]

Thanks to everyone for your inputs! [thumbsup]

Edited by Lexxmexx
↡ Advertisement