BMW 3 series or Lexus IS250

Fivegear

Hi,

If you ever get to choose between these 2 cars based on current design which will you pick? Both are quite near in terms of pricings.

I take 6 pot BMWs... the Lexus is TOOOOOOO cramp. Keep bumping my head when testing the car. I am not even 1.8m. You can also find a lot of IS in the used market now... I think it tries too hard in the design dept in the expense of space. Why dont go for PI Camry 2.4 V6 or Mark X which share the same chassis as IS250?

Neutral Newbie

i was having the same dilema as you few weeks back, in fact the final price i could have got the 320 at was about $4K cheaper, its really a very tough choice. Somemore the A4 1.8T special ediition was going below $130K which gives an even bigger headache, after many round of test driving, i finally book the IS, somehow the 3 series interior is just too plain for my liking, the only reason i think why one will take the 3 series is for the badge. Actually even before collecting my car, i still wasnt sure if i make the right choice, lexus after all is still a toyota in disguise. But the day of collection and driving the car out put a smile on my face, i know i didn't go wrong. So go for the IS, you won't regret. However if i am looking at the executive segment GS300 VS 523i, then dun need to think liao, i'll take the 5 series anytime. at least that's still an inline 6 and the look is much nicer with i-drive etc.

We had a choice, and we still picked the 320i/325i. The lexus is a nice car no doubt, but somehow, feels 'synthetic' if you know what I mean..sweatdrop.gif

320i and 325i totally different drive... one feels like a taxi, the other is just plain sweet...

Totally agree. A BMW without that in-line 6 engine defeats the point of driving a BMW.

It's like buying an Apple computer then running Windows on it...

Hahaha... [laugh]

i like your analogy...."nice shell" with kuku engine

Neutral Newbie

but then again, 325 definitely beats the IS , no question. but that would be close to 50K more, would you be willing to pay for that? i was seriously considering a 3 month old 325 with 2000kms and 19in hanman rims, and upgraded suspension for $155K. That was really attractive, until now, i still think back about that car.

Share your sentiments.... when i test drove the 320, 323 and 325 abt a yr ago... the 325 just blew me away... its a complete different machine... (seems like the E90 was designed with the 325/330 in mind)....and not to mention... many sleepless nite.. [crazy]

Agree. Sit in my friend 320, first time sit in BMW but its a poor experience in term of cabin noise and comfort and smoothness. Not as gd as i tot. My other friend PI camry fare much better den the 320.

Hi,

If you ever get to choose between these 2 cars based on current design which will you pick? Both are quite near in terms of pricings.

Given me a choice,i would take the 3 series.Like the shape of it and its a Germany made car.Believe handling is better on high speed too.

i was having the same dilema as you few weeks back, in fact the final price i could have got the 320 at was about $4K cheaper, its really a very tough choice. Somemore the A4 1.8T special ediition was going below $130K which gives an even bigger headache, after many round of test driving, i finally book the IS, somehow the 3 series interior is just too plain for my liking, the only reason i think why one will take the 3 series is for the badge. Actually even before collecting my car, i still wasnt sure if i make the right choice, lexus after all is still a toyota in disguise. But the day of collection and driving the car out put a smile on my face, i know i didn't go wrong. So go for the IS, you won't regret. However if i am looking at the executive segment GS300 VS 523i, then dun need to think liao, i'll take the 5 series anytime. at least that's still an inline 6 and the look is much nicer with i-drive etc.

OT abit... btw 523 and 325 which one would u take? (they are about the same price)

Neutral Newbie

definitely 523i, i m still a typical sporean, going for something more value for money, the facelifted 523i i feel the power quite sufficient and very smooth already. 5 series is one of my fav car, the more i look at it, the nicer it is, put on those M5 rims, damn nice. actually 325i is also not a hardcore sports car, if really want power value for money, go for golf gti. or get 1.8t , upgrade to stage 2 or even stage 3 can blow away 325i too but its cvt and not rear wheel.

Alot of people don't understand that leh, they only see the power power power..dizzy.gif until they realise the IS isn't that powerful anyway..laugh.gif

to them it is all about power and straight line sprint lah, handling and road holding not in their equation...... [laugh]

And to some people it's handling and nothing but handling. And to others nothing else matters except for the brand and nothing but the brand. Doesn't matter if you got a mediocre engine underneath the bonnet which doesn't do justice to the excellent chasis. Doesn't matter if it's not exactly the prettiest machine around as long as the brand is there.

I guess people do buy cars for different reasons. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you belong to the 'power camp' or the 'handling camp' or the 'brand camp' or 'looks camp' etc. Just enjoy your ride!

Edited by Kangz
↡ Advertisement