BMW 3 series or Lexus IS250

Fivegear

Neutral Newbie

Hi, what about a 318i vs IS 200? There is also a A4 that I am looking at, but it is a 2005 model, not sure which engine though.

↡ Advertisement

That is true... I forgot. But the insulation not as good as Lexus. BTW how come the latest Mark X is not sold here...

MkX is like the poor cousin of IS250??

I saw 2 or 3 new MkX on the roads so far, very rare [:)]

Hi, what about a 318i vs IS 200? There is also a A4 that I am looking at, but it is a 2005 model, not sure which engine though.

huh? 318?!??!?!?! How to compare man, that car is a junk.................sorry just stating the facts I4 engine.

I will not get IS250 because the engine does not sound like a V6. It sounds more like a IL-4 in Camry.

But the features and insulation of the IS250 is good. Sound system is good too. Enjoy every moment driving it.

........... :huh:

IS200 stock very ugly ride height... IS250 so much nicer....wider body...

Edited by Ken4555

The 318 is actually a detune version of 320... if you are looking at fairly new one, I think is ok if the price is reasonable. But A4 2005 model I wont touch bec it is a grand daddy technology. Unless the dealer give a good price....

The IS200 is quite a nice car but I had a friend that change from IS200 to E90 318 and she claims it is better esp in terms of driving. So I suggest you take them out for a spin to decide...

Assuming all 3 are 05 models, I think the IS200 probably more reliable if you gonna drive it till scrap.

huh? 318?!??!?!?! How to compare man, that car is a junk.................sorry just stating the facts I4 engine.

Dude, although it is 4cyc which is not BMW's forte, it is still a rock solid engine.

Definitely not junk. And definitely good against the other 4cyc.

In fact an old IS version NA 1.8liter can throw out a very respectable and reliable 140++ bhp

Dude, although it is 4cyc which is not BMW's forte, it is still a rock solid engine.

Definitely not junk. And definitely good against the other 4cyc.

In fact an old IS version NA 1.8liter can throw out a very respectable and reliable 140++ bhp

N46B20 used in 318 is no longer as good as 1.8L of yesteryears.

Edited by Davidtch

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

The 3 cars that I am looking at are all late 04 or 05 models. A little worried coz getting them 2nd hand, but then new car prices are astronomical.

Personally, torn between the IS200 and 318i. IS 200, coz it really looks agressive, but 318i was something that I wanted when I first started driving so many years back.

The Audi A4 is out coz of too many horror stories I have heard regarding gearbox issues.

what kind of common faults are those?

can you elaborate so that we have better info

U had one before, thought u would know? [:p]

Water Pump - Coolant always disappearing

Expansion Tank leak - as above

window regulators - always farking up

aircon fans

Makan of engine oil - need top up every 2 mths or so

Crankcase seal leak - Transmission oil leak

Rattling seat belt at B Pillar (Driver side)

Seat belt lock up when u try to put on since Day 1

Engine lifter tick. In the car u cant hear. Come out and the engine tick sounds like a farking diesel engine

Exhaust cylinder head - oil leak ie. Gasket.

Edited by Mamamia

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

The 3 cars that I am looking at are all late 04 or 05 models. A little worried coz getting them 2nd hand, but then new car prices are astronomical.

Personally, torn between the IS200 and 318i. IS 200, coz it really looks agressive, but 318i was something that I wanted when I first started driving so many years back.

The Audi A4 is out coz of too many horror stories I have heard regarding gearbox issues.

The Multitronic aka CVT just needs to have the strainer changed closing to 40k kms. And at 60k 70k kms, change oil. If u follow this schedule, no worries at all for the A4.

aircon fans

Engine lifter tick. In the car u cant hear. Come out and the engine tick sounds like a farking diesel engine

Ur car 100% lemon.

aircon fans

your car 100% lemon

N46B20 used in 318 is no longer as good as 1.8L of yesteryears.

probably and unfortunately so but i dont think it will be especially worse than any other on the street

Edited by Throttle2

But the features and insulation of the IS250 is good. Sound system is good too. Enjoy every moment driving it.

Enjoy...It's a Toyota...dude.

↡ Advertisement