Why small car use big brake kit?

Kelpie

1. I've been seeing small puny car putting big brake kit like 4 pots or 6 pots.

2. Are these small cars really that fast that need such a big brake that you only see them in performance car? Not even some of those >2L luxury cars have it.

3. So is this a matter of overkill or an ego problem?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

I drive a small puny car laugh.gif, but stock brakes is not good, so I change 4pot.

I fear for my life if my car can't stop in time, is that overkill or ego problem? hur.gif

By the way what car You driving? sweatdrop.gif

Edited by Viviobluerex

1. Its cool to be safety conscious.

2. It implies they have modded their engine as well.

3. Overkill.

Seriously it is their car, their money, their problem. You can say the same for big spoilers and GT wings, or airscoops and cutouts for non-existent intercoolers and turbochargers.

No, I'm not one of them, I run stock brakes.

For my case no choice,shakehead.gif

every unit of my make/model has "spongy brakes", after trying many type of brake pads, brake hose, pumps, disc rotors...etc.shakehead.gif

Finally gave up and bought a 4pot set.

You will understand if I say "Braking Confidence" wun you? thumbsup.gif

Mine is a Civic, I'm on ordinary orginal factory 282mm brake kit. I've no problem going and up down gentings and stopping at high speed. I think frequent change of brake pads and the use of high performance tyres are good enough.

Regards,

Since we talking about this, can I check with you, do you change new pads before going to genting?

Or do you run in for a couple of days before even driving in?

BTW, I saw a Kanchil in Genting with a real 6 pot brembo, I was like jawdrop.gif..

I upgraded my brake lines to stainless steel braided, brake disc to slotted and brake pads, both from project mu..No regrets.Now braking is definately with much more confidence.No doubt good tyres play a role but i found the brakes was the cause.

Neutral Newbie

Is there a prob for puny car with big brake? if there's BBK for my make why not?

I upgrade for safety issue, cos my stock brake cannot make it. On full load the car cant stop in time.

I don't change brake pads specifically for climbing hills [laugh]. My brake pads are also stock type, which are also good enough for me.

Regards,

I drive a small puny car laugh.gif, but stock brakes is not good, so I change 4pot.

I fear for my life if my car can't stop in time, is that overkill or ego problem? hur.gif

By the way what car You driving? sweatdrop.gif

if you get elephant size brakes but if you dont replace your tires regularly as recommended, it then make no sense

if your tires are close to botak, no dinosaur brakes are going to help you because you will be aqua-planing

oversize brakes may be counter-productive as the braking system with the entire wheel system and suspension

the corollary would be buying oversize tires

i guess the oversize brakes must be approved by the manufacturer, that I believe it is ok

[:)]