Run Flat Tyres

Jeffrey

Would appreciate if anyone could share his/her experience with run flat tyres. Checking thru the Falken catalog at Stamford, I noticed the ZE 512 is available with the run flat feature on some sizes. Is this a worthwhile option for cars that don't carry a spare tyre on-board? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Are they much more costlier? Thanks for sharing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Falken ZE512 does not carry any runflat tyres. You might be looking at Continental CPC2 or CSC2/3 probably over there.

By the way, runflats are damn expensive and comes as OEM with certain continental car makes such as Merc and Beemers. Once punctured they are unrepairable and can only be replaced, easily at a cost 50-80% higher den the normal tyres.

Even some OEM car owners change to normal tyres after their wear out. If you travel on the highway, the puntured runflats can go up to a maximum of about 80kms before you must change tyre. However, if u drive only in Singapore, u prob need tp crawl 5-6kms before you can find an emergency tyre shop somewhere on the island to patch or replace your tyres.

I believe run flat tyres need to be mounted on a special kind of rim. The rim design works with the stiffer sidewalls of the run-flats to support the weight of the car even with no air pressure, and prevents de-mounting of the tyre as would normally happen when the car continues running on a flat tyre.

However run-flats because of their stiff sidewalls have a harder and less comfortable ride and poorer grip than normal tyres. Run-flats also weigh quite a bit more than conventional tyres.

FYI, my car came with run-flats as standard equipment and I changed them to normal sport tyres within the 1st few weeks. [:p]

Another thing, I believe its dangerous to fit run-flats on a car not specified for it.

Cars with OE run-flat tyres have a tyre-pressure monitoring system as standard, since run flats allow the driver to continue driving on with little warning signs and the driver may not even be aware that a tyre is flat and may continue driving until the tyre falls off completely. [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

It does not need a special rim. What is inserted between the tires and rims is a Nylon Core which helps to take the weight of the vehicle if the tyre deflates.

special mounting to stop the deflating? [sweatdrop]

i have read the bridgetone tyre wensite(forgot where).

those new run flat tyre from them dose not need special rim,can be use on

normal rim, except your car must equip with tyre pressure monitoring system

(TPMS)or those OEM pressure sensor(prompt you on your car meter).

reason is if above does noot exist than you won't know you have a leak on the tyre.

and if carry on drving it can lead to tyre burst/explosion due to over heating

tyre.

Another thing, I believe its dangerous to fit run-flats on a car not specified for it.

Cars with OE run-flat tyres have a tyre-pressure monitoring system as standard, since run flats allow the driver to continue driving on with little warning signs and the driver may not even be aware that a tyre is flat and may continue driving until the tyre falls off completely. [lipsrsealed]

[:|] sounds more dangerous than it was intended to be [:|][sweatdrop]

I would like to resurrect this thread. Anyone care to share their experiences using run flat tyres?

Many of the luxury brands are now introducing them as standard on their models - Mercs, BMWs and Audi to name a few.

Are they really any good?

my current had them on runflats stock, next change will be norm..

to be honest, this is the 1st time i will change tyres for a car, cos most times, the car dun last long, ie sold off before 2 yrs...lol

Supercharged

unless you do trips up north, and fear a flat, not really worth it.

In sg, jus call AAS

But if I not a AA member, is it worth it ?

↡ Advertisement