Run Flat Tyres

Jeffrey

IMO run flat tyres are more applicable overseas when you are driving in the middle of nowhere where you not able to access any workshop or tow service might take a while.

SG is so small everything is within reach....once just MHO

Ya. I fitted RF tyres cos will be doing a long road trip overseas.

Many cars do go overseas too. Look at the causeway jam every weekend.

↡ Advertisement

Completed 10k on my RFT and did tyre rotation on them. I find that the tyre noise is softer now. Been driving for a week since the rotation. Not as noisy as when they were first installed.

Or maybe its me getting used to the tyre noise? [laugh]

only driver will understand when he/she switched from run flat to normal after he or she got a flat tires especially along express way or carrying passengers under hot sun or rain the hassle or frustration. 

anyway for those who can or know how to handle the situation is ok, 

also your car tire pressure monitoring system is still working and will alert you should any of your tire loosing pressure and you still have sometime before your tire is completely flat

• Praise 1

I just changed a used tyre at $75

Am I cheated

you are not being cheated if you are happy with the seller service and drive.

otherwise new tire cost $75 also can considered being cheated

care to share the size and type of tire (picture provided will be better ) 

• Praise 1

To drive with a flat tire is very dangerous as well as bad for vehicle and driver both because car pulls heavily to one side and for driver its become difficult to drive in a straight line. So that, the vehicle loses control easily and causing you to slam into a nearby vehicle or object.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

To drive with a flat tire is very dangerous as well as bad for vehicle and driver both because car pulls heavily to one side and for driver its become difficult to drive in a straight line. So that, the vehicle loses control easily and causing you to slam into a nearby vehicle or object.

Err... this forum is about "Run Flat Tyres", not driving with a normal tire that's flat...

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/run-flat-tires

Edited by redstuff
  • Praise 1

I just swapped my rfts for regular tyres, second time time I did it (did for my previous car as well) have to say ride quality and handling have improved.

Installed tpms on each tyre and keep a air pump for emergencies

After i changed run flat to Michelin PSS, Mini service advisor told me it is not advisable le.

I told him Michelin PSS for that size got BMW * le.

He [lipsrsealed]

Lol good one, in fact I recall last time e90 series the Norma models use rft but the m3 comes with pss. Not sure about the new m3 though

After i changed run flat to Michelin PSS, Mini service advisor told me it is not advisable le.

I told him Michelin PSS for that size got BMW * le.

He [lipsrsealed]

The Mini service advisor is advising you better not , is not can not.

All authorized Agent service advisor only advice you use only Original part, any others is not advisable.  

Got BMW * doesn't meant you can used on any BMW car 

My knowledge is all M series equipped with Regular tire.

The Mini service advisor is advising you better not , is not can not.

All authorized Agent service advisor only advice you use only Original part, any others is not advisable.  

Got BMW * doesn't meant you can used on any BMW car 

My knowledge is all M series equipped with Regular tire.

If cannot on any BMW car, what BMW car can?

My tyre size is 205/45 17.  I think only Mini uses this size.

If cannot on any BMW car, what BMW car can?

My tyre size is 205/45 17.  I think only Mini uses this size.

mr.Davidtch

sorry for the misunderstanding

I am saying this regular tire(no doubt * marking) is not indented to replaced the runflat tire fitted originally on the MINI.

these are probably indented for Mini ONE (which same originally with regular tire) upsize.

AD service adviser duty is to advice every Owners base on their knowledge from Car Manufacturers.

just MHO

Am considering to change tyres for my family's car - but am undecided whether to go with run-flats or regular tyres.

Likely that we will need to head north in the car within the next six months, so it's slanting me more towards RFT. But is that a valid consideration or just get a space saver and throw it into the boot?

Thoughts and ideas for discussion welcome.

• Praise 1

Am considering to change tyres for my family's car - but am undecided whether to go with run-flats or regular tyres.

Likely that we will need to head north in the car within the next six months, so it's slanting me more towards RFT. But is that a valid consideration or just get a space saver and throw it into the boot?

Thoughts and ideas for discussion welcome.

I don't think it's a valid consideration but my views are

- most punctures are caused by nails, touch wood if that happens just get an air pump. Usually it's a slow leak and would be enough to get you to the next destination to patch

- biggest concern if the side wall tear then you would need to get the tyre replaced chances happening are very Low on highway, if it happen in a town you could still get the tyre replaced cheaply

- I had a msian relative on runflats, hit a porthole and the whole rim caved in kid you not (BMW rim as well). Not sure of the specifics but the run flats contributed to it, if it were normal tyre the rim would probably just get dented

- overall the comfort and cost vs the chance of puncture just negates the need to get rft just for that trip up north

• Praise 1

I don't think it's a valid consideration but my views are

- most punctures are caused by nails, touch wood if that happens just get an air pump. Usually it's a slow leak and would be enough to get you to the next destination to patch

- biggest concern if the side wall tear then you would need to get the tyre replaced chances happening are very Low on highway, if it happen in a town you could still get the tyre replaced cheaply

- I had a msian relative on runflats, hit a porthole and the whole rim caved in kid you not (BMW rim as well). Not sure of the specifics but the run flats contributed to it, if it were normal tyre the rim would probably just get dented

- overall the comfort and cost vs the chance of puncture just negates the need to get rft just for that trip up north

Thanks for the candid and insightful reply.

• Praise 1

There is a nail in my run flat tyre, the threaded part, not side wall. I went to the tyre shop and they say cannot mend. RFT cannot mend one, need to buy new. Even internal patch also cannot. He said the internal patch will not stick to RFT rubbers properly. I have not removed the nail, it is still holding air pressure pretty well but the reading is always lower than the other 3 tyres.

Can RFT be able to mend/patch?

• Praise 2

There is a nail in my run flat tyre, the threaded part, not side wall. I went to the tyre shop and they say cannot mend. RFT cannot mend one, need to buy new. Even internal patch also cannot. He said the internal patch will not stick to RFT rubbers properly. I have not removed the nail, it is still holding air pressure pretty well but the reading is always lower than the other 3 tyres.

Can RFT be able to mend/patch?

Can la.

Patch countless time liao.

Same use a worm poke in.

10 buks.

Can work happy loh.

Cannot only waste 10 buks.

The design is same as normal tyres.

Only sidewall harder.

Nothing to do with poking in the worm

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1