Your Choice : Margarine or Butter...................

Picnic06-Biante15

Received an e-mail from friend and read it with [shocked][shocked] about the different between margarine & butter.

Don't know whether it is true or not but no harm reading it. [nod]

"Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings.

DO YOU KNOW..the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine.

Very high in trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?"

Chinese

↡ Advertisement

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/margarine.html

Margarine is indeed a durable foodstuff that can survive outside refrigeration without spoiling. However, its durability is not because margarine is chemically similar to plastic, as the letter above asserts. Rather, margarine is made from vegetable oils (corn, canola, olive, etc.), which are less susceptible to bacteria and fungi than dairy fats.

It is not true that margarine is "but ONE MOLECULE from being PLASTIC," and, even if it was, this doesn't mean that eating margarine is like eating plastic (though some would argue it tastes like it). Many items in nature are chemically similar to one another, but that doesn't make them similar in appearance or effect. It's not the molecules that a substance is made of that defines it, but rather how those molecules are arranged.

Both butter and margarine contain fats, which are basically groupings of the elements carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The difference is how those atoms are bonded together. (Naturally occurring fatty acids generally have one "cis" orientation, meaning both hydrogen atoms are on the same side as the carbon atoms. Trans-fatty acids, logically, have a "trans" orientation, meaning that at least one hydrogen atom is opposite the carbons. Essentially, the molecules making up both butter and margarine contain the same atoms, just in different configurations. Margarine has much more in common chemically with butter than it does plastic.

Butter is more natural (and some would argue more flavorful), is not hydrogenated and, thus does not contain trans-fats. Margarine, on the other hand, is cholesterol free, lower in saturated fats and is increasingly becoming available in trans-fat free varieties. Whichever spread you choose, experts say moderation is key. Too much of either is definitely a bad thing, says the American Heart Association:

BreakTheChain.org recommends against relying upon or forwarding health advice via e-mail chain letters. The medium is simply too unreliable. If you have a question about your particular risks from using butter or margarine, your best source of advice remains your family physician, who can analyze your health and diet and help you make the best decision for your situation. Break this chain.

Neutral Newbie

i think this one very long liao. anyway i like non of it. when i was young, family is using mar i/o but because cheaper fr a big family.

I started on margarine but changed to butter

i think wat is impt is to check if there's trans fat in it. trans fat is not good for health

Edited by Robin

Many coffeeshops and cake shops in SG use this brand "PLANTA" (something like that) in big yellow tin cans. Is that butter or margarine? if it's margarine then siao liao.

It's margarine.

That's why not so famous now. Ppl goes for Meadowlea & others....

I like the pronouncation in mandarin when I was young :- "Park Lan Tar" and always joke it as "Park Lan P*r".... [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

eh eh eh eh!

why you guys dun get it huh?!! i only lub other people's kar chng! not the other way round lah [:p]

anyway i use PL**TA... cheap and good. can buy in big big tubs one.

I wonder the e-mail u received got exaggerate or not.

If nothing to support the claims means it can be all bullsh*t. I cannot believe ppl here after reading completely believe. [:|]

↡ Advertisement