Anybody here flying in the new A380???

Relagsingh

Any lucky chaps here?

heard that it'll arrive at changi tomorrow [rolleyes]

Hi,

I attended the A380 preview function on last Friday evening, 19th Oct hosted by S'pore airline. It was held at the brand new Changi T3 airport.

The new T3 airport is very beautifully decorated, very spacious. With greenery and waterfall at the background. The carpark is located at B1, B2 next the complex but very expensive (S$ 10.40 for like 4 hrs parking but entitled free parking)

The immigration Customs has very wide space, I think got about 15 to 20 counters. After immigration, the departure area or transit area which is still under renovation. As I was walking to the A380 function area, I saw many branded luxury products retail shops. I feel that the shopping area is much bigger than current T2.

I was ushered to the holding area of A380, got to go through security check after collecting my name tag and boarding pass(mine is sydney). There are 5 different locations, Shanghai, Sydney, New Work, London and last one i forgot).

After security check, I went in the holding area. Very spacious. It has an area featuring the 3 class cabin accessories (pillow, blanket), 3 class cabin culinary, 3 classes specimen food menu including different wine menu for each class. In cabin entertainment system, it is brand new compared to the existing SQ planes. It have the entertainment section, PC section, Kids section, Mobile section, very comprehensive. I was very impressed with the new technology.

After which I was asked to view both Economy and Business class.

First, Economy class, The legroom is much longer than the current 777 or 747-400, seat wide is about the same. Just that the TV/entertainment control is packed in front of you next to the LCD screen not the current under your armrest. Under the LCD screen, there is white light which you can on if you are working or reading. Currently if you on your personal light, you may disturb the passengers next to you.

The headrest is leather and more comfortable than the Boeing. Inflight entertainment screen is much bigger ( i think is 10 inch compared to 6 inch now). The cabin table can be bend into half if you only need that space or fully extended of you need to dine.

Next Business class, Wow I was impressed again. much bigger space, bigger LCD screen. Very posh, almost like to the current SQ First Class. The chair can be fully lowered to a flat bed. Computer gadgets like USB, all fully equipped.

Then about 7.30pm, the function began. First the Vice President of Marketing is making a speech about the new era of flying and the introduction of the "Queen of the Sky". Followed by a drum beating and lion dance, then the A380 is making its way into the berth. Everyone start to run over to view the majestic plane, really very huge

compared to 747-400.

After the plane has arrived, they invited the 2 pilot (4 stripes) both indian who is flying the plane this Thursday. The captain said that they have received 6 week in France.

Immediately, the MC reveal the Suite Class which was hid and blocked by screen earlier. I didnt got time to go over but first enjoy the food.

Food was fantastic, from Japanese Sashimi, Tempura, Foie Gras (Goose Liver), Lobster, Smoked Salmon, Chinese, Western, Thai, Indian cuisines. Almost the world cuisine is there. There are almost like 30 chefs, 40 waiteress, 20 odds Air Stewardess, 30 to 40 SQ ground staff.

While I was eating, they started calling for boarding the A380 to view its interior by destination. I went to Q, only 12 person per tour group.

First we went to an area to have our photo taken next the A380 cockpit in view. Next we were ushered to board the plane. Wow, we went into the Suite Class, Very spacious but walkway is too narrow. Then they showed us the suite which two beds have been joined together. But don't think of making love there cos no doubt there is door to close but it cannot be locked. Beside, the widow shades can be seen through from outside, moreover there is no ceiling (it mean the ppl can see inside if he/she is very tall)

Behind Suite Class (about 12 seats only) is the Economy Class, same like most plane but I noticed that there is no Air-con Ducts and i feedback that it might be very stuffy during plane boarding and taxi to runway.

Next we were ushered to the higher level where the Business Class and Economy Class. They told us that SQ has configure the plane to take max up to 470 passenger instead of the 550 or more which Airbus have stated. I asked how many exits there are, about 16 exits. The Air-Stewardess told me that Airbus has conducted tests which it took them 78 secs to evacuate all 550 passengers.

After the tour, I took my dinner and sampled all the foods (a bit of everything).

I stayed till about 11pm and on my return, they gave me my photo taken with A380, a souvenir bag which consist of A380 mininature plane and a SQ First Class Salvatore Ferragamo toilette bag with both Man & Woman spray (specially made for SQ.

I was very impressed with the function hosting and the service manners of SQ staff. I feel that SQ has done Singapore very proud by flying the first A380 plane around the world.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
If you understand how an airplane flies, the engineering that goes into the airframe and engines....you will understand it is a big deal thing to build an aircraft so big.

The bigger the airframe we built, the higher thrust we will need from the engines and the stronger the material we will need to counter the physics.

The A380 is big deal.

The bigger the plane.. the bigger the crash... I think i'll stick to smaller planes if the routes permit. The 7300ER is as comfy as it gets.

Anyway, will u guys spend the extra money just to enjoy a bigger seat for a few hours? Might as well splurge on the hotel.

However advanced the plane, it is not possible to have an open flame kitchen due to safety reasons.

The food is still going to be warmed up by electrical power or microwaved.

It is going to taste the same, unless they changed the supplier or menu.

Actually, the food served by SIA is already quite good compared with other airlines.

Credit to SATS Inflight Catering [thumbsup]

I really wonder if this guy is a Malaysian chinese then will he be so popular? or will it be possible?

[laugh]

Anyway, I would think its a good try. Too bad Singapore loose out this time. [laugh][laugh]

yup.. problem with food lies with the caterer

generally the food fr SQ no comprain. though i hv to say, the cheesecake i had yesterday taste sour and funnie. i took only a small bite and not bother to finish it.

You got a point there. But remember this, the maintenance of the aircraft is very important. Its always good to play safe and will be safe if you travel in a very reputable airline(Elite),its MRO(Maintenance,repair and Overhaul) is world class and its record of air crash very very, extremely rare.

Edited by Powerhouse

Airbus A380 under threat as Emirates weighs rejigged order: sources

The A380s have been used to promote a luxury lifestyle with the Emirates brand, featuring lounges and showers on board, and were part of the set for a 2017 advertisement with Hollywood actor Jennifer Aniston. It says the jets, some with over 600 seats, have helped the airline at slot-constrained airports.

But sales of such four-engined planes are tumbling as many airlines switch to smaller and less thirsty twin-engined jets like the A350 and Boeing 777 due to improving size and range.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/airbus-a380-under-threat-as-emirates-weighs-rejigged-order--sources-11192318

• Praise 1

A380 is Airbus flagship model. A lot of pride involved,

Looks like product life cycle gonna be shorter than the Boeing 747.

The future is in twin-engine airliners.

A380 is Airbus flagship model. A lot of pride involved,

Looks like product life cycle gonna be shorter than the Boeing 747.

The future is in twin-engine airliners.

Hub and spoke is flawed and point to point is the future.

Who wants to have a stop over and waste time if they can fly direct?

:D

• Praise 1

True.

Transferring is frustrating and a waste of time and money.

Goes the same with public transport. Hub and spoke is nonsense. 

• Praise 2

True.

Transferring is frustrating and a waste of time and money.

Goes the same with public transport. Hub and spoke is nonsense.

Hub & spoke only works for Emirates who has a huge fleet and many destinations

SQ's network is quite limited actually

• Praise 1

Well when we started flying Business I was quite happy to have stopovers when flying long haul because we could spend time in a nice lounge with free food and drink.

But really Business lounges aren't that good, much better than the general lounge though and fast tracking through check in and Customs is a bonus.

First Class lounges are so much better but are they really worth it?  Answer No.

But now we aren't bothered by an extra stopover to use a Business lounge and fly direct is the way we'll go in future.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2