Exhaust Welding job, MAN, Jeep Chee or Fong Kim

Vtim

Just needed to do some Exhaust Welding job, which one can do a quality job sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif

Please share your experience wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

↡ Advertisement

My preference has always been JC but they may not be the cheapest among the 3. FK is also not bad by lack that "touch" that I want. Again, service thing very subjective one.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

personal preference - MAN. he the man.

Had bad experience with Fong Kim. Long story short, had some problems after exhaust job there (TC-> Downpipe-> 3" pipe -> bullet -> 3"pipe -> custom muffler), after 3months had some rattling sound from bottom of car. Fong kim took a look and said its wear and tear that caused a hook to crack and hence exhaust was loose and rattling and wanted to charge $70 for labour to get it welded up.

Drove down to MAN, the man charged me $20. Took care of the prob.

Neutral Newbie

Mine also had rattling noise, but is becos exos leaking.

for my case TC-> Downpipe-> 3" pipe (here leak) -> bullet -> 3"pipe -> custom muffler

man's workers workmanship shoddy, thats why leak in the first place. the patch job they did also very shoddy, weld and weld until got 1 big fat ring around v ugly 1 look can tell its a welded joint

Neutral Newbie

tried all 3. Of coz MAN is the cheapest. But i think only his workmanship is ok, his workers abit CMI. FK, dunwanna comment too much.

Both FK and MAN's welding style the same. Everything oso use flame, be it cutting, or welding together. Not so neat IMHO. Heating, softens the metal, so not so good. Since both uses same method, of course cheaper is better.

Although JC sometimes a bit pricy, but for welding, they use the MIG gun mostly, which is much better IMHO. Welding looks neater, more professional, less scars. Worth the moo la.

Not that FK and MAN doesn't use MIG, they do use, but sparingly, usually to hold the pipes/metal in place first, then they rest of the joining part, they use the flame.

Simple patching up job mebbe FK and MAN can do. But major job, i think JC is a better choice.

Neutral Newbie

i'm not too sure. only experince with man's shop before. the fat guy there did up my exhaust for me. until now still ok. 1.5yrs liao. btw side track abit... welded on twin exhaust tip pass anot?

Neutral Newbie

hmm... thats good. heard ppl say cannot pass inspection leh. a little scared also. my car coming the 3yr limit liao. come to think of it, seems like alot of things also cant pass. die [sweatdrop]

Man. Been going to him for years & has never let me down (well, maybe once, when his worker forgot to weld a mounting bracket onto the new muffler & caused rattles). Price is competitive & always willing to help.

As for welding, his workers have always used the MIG welding technique on my rides, never once saw them use the oxy-acetelyene torch except to cut joints, so exhaust leakage was never an issue. [:)]

BTW, tips are legal if only they do not protrude excessively from the bodywork &/or create noise. Some tips are designed to produce a deeper sound by using various vents & fibre "stuffing". But as long as the sound isn't too loud, you're fine since the tip itself doesn't affect emissions.

But, if you have some skeletons in the closet like dummy cat or operated mufflers, better not use a tip that's too "fierce". It'll invite closer inspection.

MIG welding (from what I know), uses electrical current to fuse metals together. This usually creates a very strong bond that is more resistant to cracking. Also, the weld marks left by an experienced welder is much "cleaner" & neater. Flame welding uses high heat to melt the metal so that they will join together once cooled. This method is said to be less strong as sometimes the correct melting point of the metals are not reached & the joint is only "fused" on the surface.

Again, this is what I've learnt from various coffee-shop & workshop sources. But as far as I'm concerned, the MIG welding used by Man has always held strong on my rides.

tried all 3. Of coz MAN is the cheapest. But i think only his workmanship is ok, his workers abit CMI. FK, dunwanna comment too much.

Both FK and MAN's welding style the same. Everything oso use flame, be it cutting, or welding together. Not so neat IMHO. Heating, softens the metal, so not so good. Since both uses same method, of course cheaper is better.

Although JC sometimes a bit pricy, but for welding, they use the MIG gun mostly, which is much better IMHO. Welding looks neater, more professional, less scars. Worth the moo la.

Not that FK and MAN doesn't use MIG, they do use, but sparingly, usually to hold the pipes/metal in place first, then they rest of the joining part, they use the flame.

Simple patching up job mebbe FK and MAN can do. But major job, i think JC is a better choice.

That was why I don't mind paying a bit more to get done things at JC. The boss, is always approachable even at 11pm.

Regards,

Just needed to do some Exhaust Welding job, which one can do a quality job sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif

Please share your experience wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

If you dont wanna be chop carrot go MAN

↡ Advertisement