COE Mercedes - Reliable?

Howfastcanyougo

Post this question in the Mercedes-Benz group forum www.sgmerc.com.

There are a few owners of old Merc, including one SLK, and he has driven it since day one.

One old S-class even went to Malacca in our driving holiday and clocked more than 150 km/h. Old Mercs are classic and they are over-engineered and built like a tank.

Never mind what others said about FC and maintenance. If you are not able to appreciate classic Merc, there will be thousands of reasons to prevent you from owning one. There are many workshops out there that can work on Mercs.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Get a new one, 220k at most.

Don't need to talk about FC. Drive an expensive car and still want to save that $100 to $200 per month... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Hah?? 80k and 220k got slight difference you know... [rolleyes]

Even if I have the money to splurge (which I don't), it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be prudent in choosing the right car. [nod]

Thanks CKlasse! I'll do that!

How about ex-Merc owners? I also hope to hear some views/opinions from you. No offence to you CKlasse, but I'm sure most of the posts at sgmerc.com will be pro-Merc [:)]

I want to get as complete a picture first before I make a decision. All opinions are welcome! [sunny]

hello fren

give you a few indicators how reliable a 200E W124 are

my cousin is using 1 ... bought off the owners when the car turned 10yrs old.

still going strong (FC not counted)

one of the managers in my business partner's company ... she got the car as a Hand-me-Down from her dad when she grad from Uni bcos they jus wanted her to have a cheap and safe car. Her son is now Pri 3 ... she is still using the car

so assuming 10 (used by her father) + 2 (assuming single/married life) + 9 yrs (after son born) = 21yrs liao

Within this period ... i already changed more cars than my hand and feet can count

With All that said ... a word of caution

This model you are talking about ... was not very well received during its time.

Some pple say the look is too "feminine"

Moreover, this car was made Post Daimler + Chrysler merger

So the Deutche already got poisoned by the Yankees ... and they started producing crap.... Esp W210 ... i lost the most money on this car in my whole driving life.

So while I do not have direct feedback on this car model ... my suggestion is to avoid Merz that were made after 1996

As for FC ... if you can afford a Merz (pre or post COE) ... you most probably can afford the oil. Else ... i think a Jap car might suit yr desires better.

Thing are changing.. The mgmt is trimming their profit from $3 billion euro to $1 billion euro to put focus back on quality.. I really hope to see this come true.

I driving a 93' W124 and so far happy with it.

i certainly hope so.

curse the yankees for bowing to stock analysts and poisoning the whole manufacturing world with their cost reductions in the name of stock prices

I have been driving a E200 for last 11 years, and total milealge is only 177k. Well under utilize in Singapore context. Well, the ride is good, firm and you always feel safe in a sturdy car. However, I will be "ditching" my E200 in few weeks time. I would say the old Merc is a pretty good car, however, I hated those teeth problem even though the mileage is pretty low and it's has always been park under shelter whether it is in office or at home.

Teething issues for instances brake light problem, have to change the entire unit, not just the bulb. Minor gear issue (not exactly sure what is the issue, but the mechanic manage to fix it). Fuel gauge out of accuracy, already spent a few hundreds $ to change fuel flood something ???, problem still persist. Fuel pump break down, air con alternator breakdown. The front of the dash board having crack line despite the fact that this car is always under shelter,..... may be other minor problem that I cannot recall.

Anyway, my family also own Toyota and Lancer and those teething issue never occur on the Japanese car, especially Toyota.

I'm changing it to Japanese car, period.

Edited by Chinaikoon

I have driven my year 2004 Jan W203, a C-class for 130 000 km, almost 4 years. It's parked under the sun the whole day when I am at work and the only problem I get are minor so far. Blown light bulbs recently, one broken door internal handle (the driver side that I pull everyday), end of life battery.

Merc is not a perfect car, but the ride sure beats a lot of cars.

The Toyota is even older, now clocking >300k. Lancer was scraped after 7 years of ride clocking no less than 150k, problem free for us. Perhaps we pamper the Merc too much!

I am sure the fittings in the Merc still feel tight and good while the Toyota and Mit panels are rattling like they are going to fall apart.

My c-class interior panels are still tight after more than 130k km while my friend's 3 year old sunny sounds like it is falling apart. This is one area in a Merc that is better than a Japanese. Of course, Merc is still not the class leading in this, Audi is always given the best comment for this.

Wow! Thanks for your advice and sharing of personal experience. Guess I have lots to think about...

By the way, why did you sell it off?

I just got tired of the slow mo car. It was heavy but that very trait rendered it stable and safe to a certain extent. Guess I wanted something new and reliable. A friend bought over my merc and till today is still driving it. He had through the years had to put in a bit of maintenance which is normal with older cars. This included overhauling the gearbox which cost him abt $2K, suspension, brakes, petrol pump, engine top overhaul etc etc...

I didnt want all these problems and time expanded to deal with it so I got rid of it. When costing your ride be sure to take all these issues into hand and not just the value or depreciation of the car cos when you actually own and use a car all these issues do come into play and not just the yearly depreciation and so on.

My wife drives a less than 2 years old red Toyota MR Spyder soft top. Mileage is less than 20000 and we are going to let it go soon as we are migrating in January. Interested?

How come 2 inspections per year? Last time my COE merc is yearly inspection only. Before renewing road tax.

Now it's changed?? Inspections aren't cheap.

Any MCFers here have any experience with 10years old or more Mercs? In your opinion, are they reliable? Of course I'm not expecting it to drive or operate like brand-new, but are they worth getting? Also, on average, how much do you spend on servicing and maintenance? Thanks in advance. thumbsup.gif

should be better than japanese coe car.

definitely wear and tear parts need to be replaced.

overall,it is worth the money in my opinion.wink.gif

↡ Advertisement