Would you buy a Lexus?

Vicz

Neutral Newbie

I am just wondering this:

if u have $200,000 to spare to buy a car of that price, would u consider a Lexus? Knowing that it is essentially a Toyota with some improvement, would u pay the premium just because its called Lexus? or would u go for a Merc, Bimmer, Volvo, Saab or something equivalent? Although u may get a higher cubic centimeter but do u think its reasonable to pay so much for a jap? [:)]

↡ Advertisement

1. Wah, If I'm in that league sure go for Conti man..you only live once [cool].

2. Afterall, Lexus is just a Toyota but can't deny the fact that Lexus is immensely popular in the US.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Same for me.... i think the market in the US is a very unique one. Firstly, they like the biggest thing in the world (Lexus can), they like the biggest cc (Lexus can) and they like Toyota (Lexus is). [laugh]

I think there are a sizable amount of people like Lexus being a luxurious Toyota so to have the so-called best of the both world - enjoying the so-called "durability and reliability" of a Toyota and the lux of a Conti (wanabe?) [laugh] ... [:p] very subjective. If not, Lexus won't have the market here, they may be better off selling the then Altezza, Celsior and Harrier... [laugh]

I do not own one, like to hear from an owner's point of view... let's see...

Thats pretty hard to say..if you'd say now would people spend 300k on a Nissan, i am sure many would, especially for the GT-R (maybe only this) laugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

I think I will.. You can see that their designs and quality are improving constantly.. I just like the fierce IS250 and the conti-looking LS430. [:)]

But of course there is a difference between owning a conti and a Lexus lah.. [:p]

If I hv 200K I shall buy Merc or BMW never Volvo or Saab or even Audi.

If I hv 400K then I shall buy one LEXUS as second car [laugh]

Most Asian will think in the same way.

Buy MERC or BMW to show off. Buy Lexus to enjoy the reliable of Toyota. [sunny]

As a consumer u always have a choice, if u think it is just a "toyota with some improvement" then u are being biased. There is no point debating if u make this kind of sweeping statements. [sly]

From wikipedia :

In 2005, the Lexus marque launched in Japan, marking the continued global expansion of the luxury division. Since its debut in 1989, Lexus has developed a reputation for the luxury and reliability of its vehicles, along with the quality of its customer service. In 2007, consumer ratings firm J.D. Power and Associates named Lexus the most reliable brand in the U.S. based on its Vehicle Dependability Survey, a measure of over 53,000 vehicle owners and the problems they experienced in the first three years of vehicle ownership. It was the thirteenth consecutive year that Lexus achieved this top rating. In recent years, Consumer Reports has also named Lexus among the top five most reliable brands in its Annual Car Reliability Surveys of over one million vehicles nationwide. Additionally, Lexus ranks highly on surveys of dealership service experience. The British Top Gear and Auto Express satisfaction surveys have had Lexus at the top of their ratings since the entry of the luxury division, with reliability and quality among the main selling points of Lexus around the world.

And what do u mean by "higher cubic centimeter"? very cryptic....perhaps you would care to explain that point ? [hur]

Different people have different needs and it depends on whether u enjoy cars a not. God willingly, i would like to try every single brand of luxury car in my lifetime. Next brand i will try if finances permit...BMW

Practically, i am limited by the fact that Cars are ridiculously priced in Singapore and the cost of running a car is not cheap...i would rather be paying for buying more property as a car is a depreciating asset.

[nod]

Personally i like the Lexus marque as it gives me a good balance between luxury/performance/reliability. The car has not cost me a single cent to mantain the past 2 years. my servicing is free, the car is fun/fast to drive, the fuel consumption is better than some 2.0L cars and the aftersales is good ( at least for me ) [flowerface]

If u were a smart man, dont buy a luxury car, go for a everyman's workhorse.

But as the ferrari salesman i encountered like to put it " you only live once " No point bringing all your money with u to the grave. You pay for quality, you pay for something u enjoy and most of all u pay for something u earned and worked hard for. [thumbsup]

Well, I drive a Lexus IS200 so whatever I said may sound biased. I've been driving Japanese cars my whole life, so I am in no position to compare a Conti car, ie. Beemer and Merc vs. a Lexus. But to say that Lexus is just a rebadged Toyota is biased view too. I wonder how many of these people who said Lexus is a rebadged Toyota has actually own a Lexus?

Personally, I like my car cos' it combines the best of Jap durability with some of the Conti feel. A good car nevertheless. Of course, if I have $200K to spare, I will go with one that appeals to me best regardless of the branding.

Well, I drive a Lexus IS200 so whatever I said may sound biased. I've been driving Japanese cars my whole life, so I am in no position to compare a Conti car, ie. Beemer and Merc vs. a Lexus. But to say that Lexus is just a rebadged Toyota is biased view too. I wonder how many of these people who said Lexus is a rebadged Toyota has actually own a Lexus?

Personally, I like my car cos' it combines the best of Jap durability with some of the Conti feel. A good car nevertheless. Of course, if I have $200K to spare, I will go with one that appeals to me best regardless of the branding.

I doubt TS has mentioned that Lexus is a rebadged Toyota. Anyway, it is also not wrong to say that Lexus is a Toyota. Afterall Toyota owned Lexus.

Regards,

you gotten this 2nd hand in 2007 rite?? I remember u mentioning in this forum..

I am interested in getting this model as 2nd hand as well.. lexus anytime for me..

anything to look out for? intend to source before mar 2008.. [:p]

look at it this way, "best" in Japan is better than "average" in conti rite?? haha [sweatdrop] no offense against anyone.. [;)] I would love to have audi/VW as well.. [sly]

I think I will.. You can see that their designs and quality are improving constantly.. I just like the fierce IS250 and the conti-looking LS430. [:)]

But of course there is a difference between owning a conti and a Lexus lah.. [:p]

GS300 looks good too!! [thumbsup]

Nothing wrong in saying that Toyota owned Lexus, but Lexus is definitely more than a rebadged Toyota. The quality and equipment levels are definitely a notch above the regular Toyotas. Anyway, didn't mean to flame anyone but I used to think a Lexus is just a rebadged Toyota until I owned my own Lexus and has compared it to my friend's Toyota Altezza. Definitely higher equipment level in terms of luxury but of course, the Altezza Beam engine is a monster!!!

Well, Nissan has its own luxury brand - Infiniti; Honda with its Acura brand. Think it's a fantastic idea that these Japanese Marques came out with their own luxury to compete with the conti giants.

I got it in 2006. Can't believe it's been more than a year!! Haha...

Yeah, definitely a cheap car to buy now. Go to SGCarmart and get one with a few months warranty left if possible. U will get to enjoy the Lexus Service at Leng Kee.

Good car with no problem whatsoever. Great engine!! You will love the inline 6 sound!

Nothing wrong in saying that Toyota owned Lexus, but Lexus is definitely more than a rebadged Toyota. The quality and equipment levels are definitely a notch above the regular Toyotas. Anyway, didn't mean to flame anyone but I used to think a Lexus is just a rebadged Toyota until I owned my own Lexus and has compared it to my friend's Toyota Altezza. Definitely higher equipment level in terms of luxury but of course, the Altezza Beam engine is a monster!!!

Well, Nissan has its own luxury brand - Infiniti; Honda with its Acura brand. Think it's a fantastic idea that these Japanese Marques came out with their own luxury to compete with the conti giants.

Sometimes I just wonder why Infiniti and Accura are not here.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Somehow i have this feeling that ppl who are so against lexus will never or know that they won't be able to afford a $200K car, they feel that they are destined to drive a jap car their whole life. That's why if ever they can afford $200K car, all they can think of is MERCs and BMWs and contis etc. What's wrong with JAP car by the way?? If something really good comes out from Japan, why can't we just recognize it and thumbs up for it? No deny that lexus is like a premium toyota, same company mah. But so what?? Are they the same at all?? Worlds apart ok! If anyone say they are the same, then i think they are better off saving the money and drive a cheery, since all cars are the same to them.

↡ Advertisement