Mazda 6 MPS

Siewss

No, I have not timed. Maybe one fine day when petrol's the price of water, I will make a couple of runs [laugh]

What's that equipment used for timing 0-100kmh? G-meter?

wanna have a few runs? i really want to know how is my 2.2L euro R compare to the MPS then i can know should i change anot......? [laugh]

I'm pretty lousy at launches, haha, and I'd like to blame it on the ultra narrow biting point. To reach the century mark in the MPS, 3 gear changes have to take place, eating previous time. Assuming each gear change to take 0.5s for an above average driver, that should be 0.5s longer than other cars that requires 2 gear change to cross 100kmh. That's why I think DSG is the way to go.

↡ Advertisement

That's a surprise ... i would have thought the gears will be much taller given the high torque from a TC engine.

What's the cruising RPM at 100kmh?

I was surprised too, but I kind of got used to it. The 1st 5 gear are close ratio-ed - 2nd gear: 3krpm at 30kmh, 5th gear: 3krpm at 100kmh. Cruising at 6th gear: 2.5krpm @ 100kmh.

The key to driving the MPS fast is: Upshift the 1st 5 gears as fast as you can (almost 1 gear change per second. No point dragging the gear because the torque drop off pretty quickly once past 5.5krpm), and let the torque do it's job from the 6th gear to slingshot you to 2xx++ kmh.

thumbsup.gif I know who to look for if interested in MPS.

But still looking or rather waiting for the perfect ride leh .... torquey, powerful, no lag, good looking, good fuel consumption, good & nimble handling, latest technologies ... only exist in dreams i think laugh.gif

Here's Jeremy Clarkson's review on the MPS. With his characteristic unbridled tongue, I think you can figure how the MPS really fare.

I am lousy at launches too..... shouldn't 2 gear change be enough to reach 100km/h?

but i do not think anything can substitute a true manual....

I think the figure is thereabouts - UK is 256hp, Singapore is 263ps, Japan - no idea, could be higher.

Good enough for me, at this moment....

(edited)

That's the difference between VTEC (3 stage) and the MPS turbo - VTEC allows you to drag till 9krpm, while frantic gear changes is the call of the day on the MPS to keep up. So if you stink at gear change, the sprint is over before you know it. And because of the dizzy gear changes, coupled with 380Nm torque, fast launches would mean a series of violent pin-backs & forward lurches for the 1st 3 gears.

That explains why some ang mo's are able to achieve mid 5s - they literally burn their clutches practicing launches.

I feel the DSG is a very good substitute for the stickshift. It's the reason why the GTI can hit < 7s despite its measly 200hp.

Edited by Siewss

Neutral Newbie

latest wheels mag said that facelift MPS will come with 2.5turbo churning out 280+ horses... and possibly twin clutch auto... to debut in 2010

Let's hope Mazda Motor bring in these adrenaline-pumping gentleman monster, although there exist a more than remote chance they might not, after the poor showing of the first and final batch of MPS. Pricing was the biggest culprit for the dismal sales.

With twin clutch, I'm sure sub-6s is more than attainable.

There are people who still couldn't let up the VTEC scream. If your driving style is to attain speed by dragging the gear, stick to VTEC. Turbo works differently, so unless it's automatic where you just stomp the pedal and don't bother about when to upshift, a big part of the time will be lost through multiple cycles of declutching and engaging for normal stickshift. That's why I feel DSG is the best thing to happen for turbo vehicles, because it really help cut down the time incurred in gear shift.

Rotary engine, I'm sure you must have heard, is a different animal to tame. Driving fast requires keeping the engine on the boil, which ultimately makes driving stressful.

No, I have not timed. Maybe one fine day when petrol's the price of water, I will make a couple of runs [laugh]

What's that equipment used for timing 0-100kmh? G-meter?

wanna have a few runs? i really want to know how is my 2.2L euro R compare to the MPS then i can know should i change anot......? [laugh]

Dug out old thread.

Found anyone to compare with you yet? [:p]

Yesterday I met a prelude 4th gen.

Racing cam and BHP abt 240hp, 380nm.

One day ask him out to test also and likely to be on Mon~Wed as usual.

Dug out old thread.

Found anyone to compare with you yet? [:p]

Yesterday I met a prelude 4th gen.

Racing cam and BHP abt 240hp, 380nm.

One day ask him out to test also and likely to be on Mon~Wed as usual.

never...... dun want risk my licence leh... i did a trial run with a modded celica SS2 manual before... he tear me like tissue paper leh...

but i sort of regreted it.... cuz i realised it was not a good thing to do in SG....

racing cam leh...... out of my league leh