Mazda 6 MPS

Siewss

2nd hand car dealer mark up can be quite high. my car was offered abt $32K ($4K for body) by a dealer. i had seen similar cars of the same age is selling at abt $39K

my friend traded in his 2 year old car at abt $25K and it was advertised for $33K or $35K, can't really rem liao

↡ Advertisement

Dealers should only earn a couple of thousand dollars from trading cars around playing middlemen, especially for the massmarket easy to move models. That's how they earn their money.

But your assertion that you can't get more than PARF plus residual COE + prevailing body value is wrong, as I showed in that example.

Price of used cars are still pegged very much to prevailing prices of new cars and market forces.

Another example are the $101 COE cars. They aren't being sold anywhere near their paper value.

(edited)

You have intimate information about this particular car. I shan't ask you why.

Intermittent check light problem is fine if it's the secondary post-cat sensor - should have no bearing on the performance nor FC. Provided that's the real cause.

I was informed about the wrong offset and recommended to crimp or roll the rear inner fender to solve the problem, else change tires from 235 width to 225. But the creases is news to me.

I wasn't aware that the turbo's light pressure - In my narrow view, any car that produces > 100ps/L doesn't constitute light pressured. I guess I was using the stock GTi as a benchmark. And you're right about the lag, I could feel it, which is strange, because every article I could dig out from the web says otherwise.

Even with AD support, I think I'd still have to put up with long waits for parts, assuming something untoward happen. I've reached the foregone conclusion I won't be fetching any body value upon hitting the 5th year, that's how my depreciation calculation

is based on. There are only 12 MPS on the road today.

What would be a decent and fair asking price for this car, in your opinion?

Edited by Siewss

i guess its better for owners to sell their cars on their own eliminating the need for a middleman. only thing is they need to DIY settle the transfer and buyer needs to find their own loan

The MPS is a nice car, but if you have so many doubts about it, it might be prudent to listen to your inner voice.

But a bit off topic....

A rare car that commands resale value based on its rarity ---->

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2ILHOoJp-1059.html

tada!

This is one firebreathing monster. Soldiering on after 6 yrs with a command price of $200k. Rarity indeed. Love it!

if wads holding u back betw the MPS n legacy is whether its MT anot... can go PI find a MT JDM legacy...

actually some time back there were 1-2 2nd-hand MT legacy on sale... one i tink +/- 4 yrs wan was i tink 60k + .... and the other one was a under 1 year old one 100+ k..

that is totally based on my memory... arh... tell u first.. [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

besides... the cars tt have high resale values are due to its rarity and achieve some sort of cult status are like skylines, rx7s, NSXs which had high performance partly due to less strict emmission standards then...

MPS to have higher resale value due to rarity? fingers crossed ... huh huh ... [sly]

JDM Legacy Spec B - Breathtaking! Actually I'm more inclined towards auto, but DSG would be ideal. Evo's a bit too err...hiong for me, and GTi, well, can't get over the almost $40k margin VW milks from every GTi owner.

Legacy's resale value seems to be holding well, that's why I'd prefer to look at new - If you ask me, it's the more sensible way to go. MPS' resale value will go out the window if I take over ownership, and I'll be going in with my eyes open, I know that.

(edited)

CX7-7 is low pressure turbo.

MPS not using low pressure turbo it using high pressure turbo, spec was stated in the mazda webbie last time. last time I was seriously consider the last new unit for sale from MM but back out since losing too much selling my 2 years current car.

Edited by Knighthunter

You can't use that rule of thumb for all the recently registered new cars.

Take this car for example:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2ItHEXrh-1001.html

This Altis is registered 16th Nov 06, which makes it 1yr and 4mths old (approx).

COE is $12979, and OMV is $15498.

The car's asking price is $48,800.

So based on your assertion, the car is wildly overpriced, because remaining COE paper is $11248 and remaining OMV assuming scrap is 75% of OMV which is $11623.50. Thus, $48,800 minus $11248 minus $11623.50 = $25928.5.

Assuming Altis body value is rock solid at $12k it means the dealer earns the remainder, a nice hefty $13k?

But then again, see if you can find a 2 year old Altis that is sold at anything in the $30k range.

You're right - the rule generally applies to 5 yrs and above cars, unless it's rare for the right reason [;)]

But I still have to contend with the fact that I'll be the 3rd owner, which you know, gives everyone the unfavorable impression that it's a "hot potato", even if it's not.

(edited)

My friend who introduced me to this deal told me the same thing. I normally accord a lot of TLC to the engine, but what I'm more concern about is the exterior - I'm not quite immune to fender benders. [:/]

Edited by Siewss

oorh..

then again... the MPS is a uncommon car... and it does look good and run fast n probability the last MPS MM is bringing (due to disappointing sales).. who knows 5 years dwn the road ppl see it as a rarity n becomes hot demand... [lipsrsealed]

pray another better condition one and less ex one comes along... lol...

tink if u feel this unit has turbo lag... better nt take the risk...

there was this time when an MPS out sprint Rexes n Evos in one of the car park sprints events in Kallang... i wonder... [gossip][gossip]

The seeds of doubt are being sown... [laugh]. Turbo lag, yes, but when I really press on, the surge was....exhilerating - never owned turbo cars before, so help me with this - does this still point to a faulty turbo?

How do I really verify that piece of very interesting history at Kallang, huh? Does white color, gold/bronze Advan rims ring a bell?

i didnt think anyone else has heard of the MPS 6. lol

anwyays yes its quite a rare and i think there are about 20 or so in Singapore. if im not mistaken, they are manufactured in 2005 ?

for turbocharged fun, i'd think the WRX is the best bet. most importantly you'd hve ready buyers should u want to sell 2nd hand and not to mention a large choice in modification parts available.

the white MPS for sale is really at a decent price. considering the car launch price was at $125K.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I was in exactly your situation months back. Was considering the following rides :-

1) 2nd hand "new" 6 MPS

2) new / relatively new 2nd hand Accord Euro R

3) relatively new 2nd hand LGTs

Fell in love with 6 MPS at first sight, due to it's complete package of having good looks, good performance, good sound system, loads of features at decent price. Brought my wife to take a look to pass her criteria of having big boot space and better rear passenger legroom. Coincidentally, the dealer had our previous ride (Mazda 3) parked side by side next to the MPS, so my wife was able to compare both the boot space and passenger space. Unfortunately, the boot space failed miserably due to the cross brace taking up quite a bit of the room and that the rear seats could not even be folded down. So out goes the MPS since it failed the wife hurdle. Also, like you, I was also a bit concerned about being the 3rd owner and the fact that it is a turbo car which probably requires a lot more maintenance past 5 yrs.

As for the LGTs, the asking for 1 yr olds were steep and I didnt want to get anything beyond 3 yr old to avoid spending more on maintenance for turbo cars. As for Euro R, I had a couple of 2nd hand viewing and the asking were also too high in comparison to a new one (80k and above).

So, at the end, I went for a brand new Accord Euro R. It's already past 2 months now and till date, I am very happy with my decision. The VTEC roar is simply intoxicating and the build quality is 2nd to none in comparison to the rest of the Jap cars in the same class. Coupled with a reasonably good FC ( I am getting 10km/l consistently), I could not ask for anything more.

Just to share with you the thought process I went through and thought you might want to add Euro R into your list. BTW, since the new Honda Accord is already out, it will not be long soon the Euro R will cease production, so there's probably not many brand new ones left in the market.

Edited by Naimster

i would have took the same decision as u .. if i had the munnieee [bigcry][bigcry]

the 80+k price tag is really a good deal... and amongst the 3... Euro R is the nicest to me... dun get me wrong.. the other 2 are also good lookin 'gentlemen' cars... [;)]

the front rear of double wishbone suspensions has great tuning potential... i saw this best motoring vid when a lightly modified Euro R driven by orido-san was constantly shadowing a lightly mod DC5R driven by tsuchiya-san.... despite the 150kg wt difference.. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

sorry bro.. i chanced upon that newspaper article eons ago... [sweatdrop] can't help u with that... let alone the look of tt car...

hahaha or u can beg borrow steal someone else's MPS test drive... see got diff anot.. [:p][laugh]

the MPS version of the mzd 6 was advertising on the news paper then ... taking up half a page of the newspaper and there was even a review of in in Life...

sort of like a cheaper and more gentlemen alternative to the Sti n Evo and had those fancy variable torque delivery to font and rear wheels... n cheaper? ... IMO

the MPS version of the mzd 3 is the one most singaporeans wont hear off... [sly][sly]

↡ Advertisement