Pros and Cons of oil based, cotton based and Steel drop-in air filter

Kelpie

Does an Oil based filter fares better than cotton based and stainless steel drop-in air filter? It supposes to trap dirt better and yet provide higher flow than the 2. Please comment.

Thank you.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Heard the best is use the original paper one from the manufactuer [nod][nod][nod]

Oil based ones will cause MAF sensor to kena coated with a layer of oil should one over-oil it's aftermarket filter after washing while for SS type air filters, more dust & dirt would also be let in ... [gossip][gossip][gossip]

But still, i'm using the SS one [flowerface][flowerface][flowerface]

[thumbsup] Yeah. I agree. Original which consist also a sponge is still the best in terms of trapping dirt, dust, sand and oil(from other vehicle's exhaust fumes).

What paper does best is to trap oil.

Edited by Watwheels

Neutral Newbie

I agree too, previously I am using the Simota Stainless drop-in filter but I heard that when the engine bay gets hot, the stainless steel in the filter will also get hot so it affect pickup and FC.

I have also change back to the stock paper filter which is also cheaper. thumbsup.gif

Heard the best is use the original paper one from the manufactuer

Oil based ones will cause MAF sensor to kena coated with a layer of oil should one over-oil it's aftermarket filter after washing while for SS type air filters, more dust & dirt would also be let in ...

But still, i'm using the SS one

1. I've no issue in using stock cotton based air filter but would a stock air filter restrict air flow? I was hoping to see a cotton based product that give a higher airflow.

2. Since Stock air filter is cheaper, I've no issue changing them every 5K but I want to make sure that it is still a good compromise between oil based and SS based.

Regards,

The fact remains that stock paper filter offers the best kind of filtration compared to sponge, gauze or SS. The latter is the worst....might as well remove the filter altogether for maximum air flow ! Given the choice, I would go for the sponge type but nowadays with all the sensors in the air intake path, an oil soak sponge filter or gauze filter would create alot of problem.

Stock paper filters last more than 30,000km with a blow job in between [laugh]

Yes, for me it would be stock filter all the way. If your ride got the power, you got it. If don't have....what kind of filter or spark plug, loud exhaust or surbo or whatever, isn't gonna make much difference without compromising on vehicle reliability, comfort, noise & compliance with LTA. Want more power, get a bigger capacity car !

CBX

Yes, for me it would be stock filter all the way. If your ride got the power, you got it. If don't have....what kind of filter or spark plug, loud exhaust or surbo or whatever, isn't gonna make much difference without compromising on vehicle reliability, comfort, noise & compliance with LTA. Want more power, get a bigger capacity car !

You're probably correct. If the car is good, it has to be good. I will likely to stay stock for the air-intake then. 30K, so lasting? I thought changing at every 10K is better.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Actually paper filters are the best - best fileration and best flow. BUT only when it is new.

Prob occurs when the paper gets dirty. It'll choke the intake more than a similarly dirty ss, foam or cotton filter.

So the best solution? change e paper filter every 10K or even at 5k intervals :)

Heard the best is use the original paper one from the manufactuer

Oil based ones will cause MAF sensor to kena coated with a layer of oil should one over-oil it's aftermarket filter after washing while for SS type air filters, more dust & dirt would also be let in ...

But still, i'm using the SS one

1. I've no issue in using stock cotton based air filter but would a stock air filter restrict air flow? I was hoping to see a cotton based product that give a higher airflow.

2. Since Stock air filter is cheaper, I've no issue changing them every 5K but I want to make sure that it is still a good compromise between oil based and SS based.

Regards,

Hi, I have personally experimented stock paper filter, cotton filter and stainless steel filter.

I find that cotton and stainless steel filters let in a lot of air [shakehead][thumbsdown] as compared to paper filter where the air flow and air intake seemed to suit the car the most comfortably. [nod]

As one bro said above, there is no point expecting too much from installing a filter and then think that the power of the car can be better. [smash]

Might as well save up and get yourself a better car next time. [thumbsup]

Edited by Blacklancer224

They say stock paper filters can last 40k mileague. [confused]

My paper filter is slightly before the next 10k servicing and the sponge and filter already very black....Haha! [laugh]

Air filters:

More filteration, lesser airflow

More airflow, less filteration

Tyres

More grip, more noise, higher wear rate

Less grip, less noise, lesser wear rate

think we can put up the formula liao.. keke

Anyway, nothing wrong in any of the filters you use.

As for SS filters, its best to have shorter oil drain intervals to keep engine in nice clean state.. :D

i think 40k is not advisable. Best change every 10k...cheap cheap nia for paper filter.

I still religiously clean clean scrub scrub mine (SS) every 10k [;)]

Does an Oil based filter fares better than cotton based and stainless steel drop-in air filter? It supposes to trap dirt better and yet provide higher flow than the 2. Please comment.

Thank you.

Regards,

No matter what they say ... OIL BASED will Screw up ur MAF guranteed.

a good SS drop in will beat any CAI Open Pod