Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

Highest possibility, that particular stretch of road is very straight and wide merging towards queensway road, no reason for such a good car to lost control and crash into the curb side.

Maybe he will not die if he drive xc90 or range rover.

R class considered not safe. The same like alphard all these

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Yes, but can you explain how the car caught fire? It does not look like it impacted the tree hard, if at all. You all have seen how cars look like after they had wrapped a tree......

Looks like mercs are not safe, in the other mandai accident, the mercs driver still fighting for his life... ...

• Praise 1

I driven a relative MB R350 in Zurich on one of my Europe road trip, very comfortable and relaxing sitting high enough to see as far, not a bad car after all but feels taking tight corners a bit clumsy.

post-62943-0-97288400-1449459013_thumb.jpg

post-62943-0-48725500-1449459023_thumb.jpg

post-62943-0-12023400-1449459033_thumb.jpg

post-62943-0-77189500-1449459046_thumb.jpg

Can anyone care to share how car can catches fire during accident? Beside illegal modifications to the wring system, unless the impact cause the wires to short circuit (even though the fuse should have protected the circuit), why would the fire starts?

Are we talking of impact that cause heat, sparks to ignite the fuel? The fuel tank is behind, most wiring almost in front, especially the battery. good to understand a bit more.

Mainly the engine crankcase, the process is the use molten aluminum to create the insert (moving parts & water cooling) then they use molten magnesium wrapped around the insert to form the crankcase. This results in a very light engine block.

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/bmw-develops-magnesium-alloy-engine-crankcase

I got this from the NGO BMW Megafactories, quite interesting check it out if you get a chance.

The Merc doors should auto unlock in case of a crash, unfortunately in this case must have malfunctioned.

I see.  Last time also read about performance bike parts using magnesium alloy....its quite an unsettling thought. 

coincidentally, some weeks back, 91.3 was reporting that for the civil defence guys, its a lot more difficult to extradite an occupant in a door locked/jammed conti car Vs a Jap car. 

• Praise 2

I driven a relative MB R350 in Zurich on one of my Europe road trip, very comfortable and relaxing sitting high enough to see as far, not a bad car after all but feels taking tight corners a bit clumsy.

Yes its a very comfortable and spacious car due to long wheelbase

I ever driven one R280 for few months

I remember when i play hard with the car, i smell chao da afterwards inside the cabin. Could it be one of the cause why the car catch fire? Not sure with that R350 newer model 2bdriver bro drives

I see. Last time also read about performance bike parts using magnesium alloy....its quite an unsettling thought.

coincidentally, some weeks back, 91.3 was reporting that for the civil defence guys, its a lot more difficult to extradite an occupant in a door locked/jammed conti car Vs a Jap car.

How can it be? From what i know when merc car had a crash, they will auto dislock the door joint. So the firefighter can remove the door easily

Yes its a very comfortable and spacious car due to long wheelbase

I ever driven one R280 for few months

I remember when i play hard with the car, i smell chao da afterwards inside the cabin. Could it be one of the cause why the car catch fire? Not sure with that R350 newer model 2bdriver bro drives

How can it be? From what i know when merc car had a crash, they will auto dislock the door joint. So the firefighter can remove the door easily

My shallow experience doubt that the "High Pressure Turbo" heats up engine oil and evaporate fast enough to smoke up the whole engine compartment, or brake pad burning smells or the brake pump high hydraulic pressure heat up the brake fluid too.

Car fire generate by fuel, likely fuel pipes and fuel filter are the crucial parts to replace if it's found harden or loose at the joints.

Edited by 2BDriver
  • Praise 1

Can anyone care to share how car can catches fire during accident? Beside illegal modifications to the wring system, unless the impact cause the wires to short circuit (even though the fuse should have protected the circuit), why would the fire starts?

Are we talking of impact that cause heat, sparks to ignite the fuel? The fuel tank is behind, most wiring almost in front, especially the battery. good to understand a bit more.

There are so many ways that a car can catch fires......

Some of the main culprits are :  

1. Failing to maintain your car engine - failed to spot leaking brake fluid or leaking fuel filter (any sparks will cause fire)

2. Faulty heat sensor - causing overheating of engine and meltdown. Fuel injector pipes near engine and during meltdown can cause the fuel inside the injector to burn

3. Fail to check radiator rubber hose or radiator tank for water leaking which will cause overheating & melt down of the engine

4. Fail to check electrical system especially loose or explose wire within engine compartment area 

5. Loose battery (never tighten properly) or lost battery terminals covers (explose battery terminals)

For items 4 & 5, during accident, this explose wires & battery could dislodge from their position and causing a short circuit & sparks which thereby comes in contact with any leaking brake fluid or petrol causing fire easily. 

Some other brothers here could also add to the list .. :serious-business:

If want to own a car, never try to save on maintenance cost if one value theirs or immediate family members life. :we-all-gonna-die:

Edited by Picnic06
  • Praise 5

Illegal electrical modification usually means tapping onto existing wires to power additional stuff and then "upsizing" original fuse.

This is a fatal mistake, bcuz fuse are rated to protect the wires.

By increasing fuse rating without changing the wires, the wires may become excessively hot, bcuz it can't handle the extra current. Insulation burnt and bare wire is exposed, waiting for disaster.

Also installing anything after a fuse is protected, but the wire before the fuse is unprotected.

So the unprotected wire length is always kept to a minimum near the battery positive terminal.

You may observed most ICE fuse is installed correctly near the battery.

The other "danger" wire is from the alternator to the battery. It's live and often not fused.

Impact can damage anything. A fuel line, a brake line, etc.

Fuel is volatile. When fuel stream hits anything that is hot under the bonnet where the engine is, it ignites.

R class battery is under the floorboard and a pain to change. So it may be unlikely to contribute to a fire.

• Praise 1

There are so many ways that a car can catch fires......

Some of the main culprits are :  

1. Failing to maintain your car engine - failed to spot leaking brake fluid or leaking fuel filter (any sparks will cause fire)

2. Faulty heat sensor - causing overheating of engine and meltdown. Fuel injector pipes near engine and during meltdown can cause the fuel inside the injector to burn

3. Fail to check radiator rubber hose or radiator tank for water leaking which will cause overheating & melt down of the engine

4. Fail to check electrical system especially loose or explose wire within engine compartment area 

5. Loose battery (never tighten properly) or lost battery terminals covers (explose battery terminals)

6. Jamesc :a-fun: MIL [gorgeous] on-board his [drivingcar] car   :onfire:

For items 4 & 5, during accident, this explose wires & battery could dislodge from their position and causing a short circuit & sparks which thereby comes in contact with any leaking brake fluid or petrol causing fire easily. 

Some other brothers here could also add to the list ..

If want to own a car, never try to save on maintenance cost if one value theirs or immediate family members life. 

Don't believe number six ? You can clarify with Bro @Jamesc    :XD:

Edited by 2BDriver
  • Praise 1

My shallow experience doubt that the "High Pressure Turbo" heats up engine oil and evaporate fast enough to smoke up the whole engine compartment, or brake pad burning smells or the brake pump high hydraulic pressure heat up the brake fluid too.

Car fire generate by fuel, likely fuel pipes and fuel filter are the crucial parts to replace if it's found harden or loose at the joints.

I think r280 and r350 not turbocharged if i remember correctly

He had experienced cars on fire ? .... :slow:

:grin:           :grin:

I read Bro @Jamesc post's with regard MIL in fullest attention, never miss a single line about his lightest fire starts from his big belly burning right up to the whole passenger cabin    :XD:

Turbocharged

Illegal electrical modification usually means tapping onto existing wires to power additional stuff and then "upsizing" original fuse.

By increasing fuse rating without changing the wires, the wires may become excessively hot, bcuz it can't handle the extra current. Insulation burnt and bare wire is exposed, waiting for disaster.

Also installing anything after a fuse is protected, but the wire before the fuse is unprotected.

So the unprotected wire length is always kept to a minimum near the battery positive terminal.

The other "danger" wire is from the alternator to the battery. It's live and often not fused.

Fuel is volatile. When fuel stream hits anything that is hot under the bonnet where the engine is, it ignites.

R class battery is under the floorboard and a pain to change. So it may be unlikely to contribute to a fire.

not sure about the R class.. i have had alerts of blown bulbs on my C (front poles and rear cluster) till i got sick of it and got an electrician check. some of the wires were found to be melted. 

it was all stock. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged

The most common electrical problem most cars have is the horn. Some people change to aftermarket horns and the workshop lazy to use the relay included in the more powerful horn. They always say no problem. But I feel it is not safe cuz it means that there is a larger current flowing through the wire than what it was designed for when the horn is used.

My cousin is from SCDF and that is what he told me also. Conti cars very hard to force open the door cuz their doors quite solid. All the safety mechanisms are no use if they are damaged and malfunction during the impact. Ends up making the doors very hard to pry open instead.

• Praise 1

not sure about the R class.. i have had alerts of blown bulbs on my C (front poles and rear cluster) till i got sick of it and got an electrician check. some of the wires were found to be melted. 

it was all stock. 

The fuse was supposed to blow first, before the wire gets overheated.

In some cases, the (slow-blow) fuse may refuse to blow,  by just "hanging on the thread" and the wire gets overheated.

Unfortunately, it appears to be too common.

My cousin is from SCDF and that is what he told me also. Conti cars very hard to force open the door cuz their doors quite solid. All the safety mechanisms are no use if they are damaged and malfunction during the impact. Ends up making the doors very hard to pry open instead.

Don't they break the glass first ?

I assumed in emergency, the first thing is to break the glass, then pry open the door.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement