Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

Hi,

Anyone knows how to de-register the vehicle after total loss due to fire? What would insurance policy usually payout for such losses? Do we have to arrange to remove the destroyed vehicle from the workshop to scrapyard? What are the procedures?

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

Anyone knows how to de-register the vehicle after total loss due to fire? What would insurance policy usually payout for such losses? Do we have to arrange to remove the destroyed vehicle from the workshop to scrapyard? What are the procedures?

You have to make a report to your insurance co who will arrange for d vehicle to be towed their workshop for thorough investigation. Probably you will be asked on d service of d vehicle n which workshop it was done. If d vehicle cannot be repaired, i.e. Total write off, d payout is market value. But you can negotiate for a higher value. d insurance will arrange for d scrapped too. Good lucks.

You have to make a report to your insurance co who will arrange for d vehicle to be towed their workshop for thorough investigation. Probably you will be asked on d service of d vehicle n which workshop it was done. If d vehicle cannot be repaired, i.e. Total write off, d payout is market value. But you can negotiate for a higher value. d insurance will arrange for d scrapped too. Good lucks.

Thanks for the information. Any idea how long he whole process will take? Still can negotiate for a higher value?

Thanks for the information. Any idea how long he whole process will take? Still can negotiate for a higher value?

Depend on insurance companies. It will take at some time for d investigation. Recently my fren's car was burnt n totally wrecked. My fren was asked whether any illegal modication or devices installed and his regular workshop where he serviced his car. Indeed, d insurance co called up his workshop n asked for service details. His car left about 9 months before scrapped. They offered him a market value which was is slightly higher than scrapped value. He asked for a higher value. d ins co asked him to propose n justify d amount. So, he done a research at car mart, etc n asked for a value which is $4K more. And d insurance company agreed to it subject there is no foul play or illegal tempering/modulation of d car later on. His case was settled in less than one month. So, good luck.

Edited by keanie
  • Praise 2

Depend on insurance companies. It will take at some time for d investigation. Recently my fren's car was burnt n totally wrecked. My fren was asked whether any illegal modication or devices installed and his regular workshop where he serviced his car. Indeed, d insurance co called up his workshop n asked for service details. His car left about 9 months before scrapped. They offered him a market value which was is slightly higher than scrapped value. He asked for a higher value. d ins co asked him to propose n justify d amount. So, he done a research at car mart, etc n asked for a value which is $4K more. And d insurance company agreed to it subject there is no foul play or illegal tempering/modulation of d car later on. His case was settled in less than one month. So, good luck.

Not trying to stick out like a sore thumb, but under such circumstances of the car catching fire, and the load is above the manufacturer's limit, the insurance co. can say the overload caused the engine to catch fire, and void the coverage.

Nobody gives such matters a second thought till crunch time.

1 month? that's considered fast. may I know which insurance company for your friend's case.

can help me ask your friend when can he de-register the car as I would like to retain the car registration number. and moreover, I need to settle with my finance company as there is still outstanding loan.

many thanks.

• Praise 1

1 month? that's considered fast. may I know which insurance company for your friend's case.

can help me ask your friend when can he de-register the car as I would like to retain the car registration number. and moreover, I need to settle with my finance company as there is still outstanding loan.

many thanks.

His car engine caught fire while parked in a private carpark. No suspect of foul play n only a car recorder was installed n plugged to cigarette lighter socket. No other devices installed. So his case was straight forward n settled rather fast. After insurance co accepted his counterposed amount, he was asked to go down insurance co office to sign settlement document. There was an indemnity clause tat should foul play be found, d insurance has d right to retract. Then he was asked to get a pin from LTA. Once he handover d pin, he was given d cheque which he got it all within a month. d ins co took care of d transfer/scrapping of d car wid d given pin.

My opinion, since u got loan wid finance co, u should check with ur insurance co when u can settle d loan with d finance co.

His car engine caught fire while parked in a private carpark. No suspect of foul play n only a car recorder was installed n plugged to cigarette lighter socket. No other devices installed. So his case was straight forward n settled rather fast. After insurance co accepted his counterposed amount, he was asked to go down insurance co office to sign settlement document. There was an indemnity clause tat should foul play be found, d insurance has d right to retract. Then he was asked to get a pin from LTA. Once he handover d pin, he was given d cheque which he got it all within a month. d ins co took care of d transfer/scrapping of d car wid d given pin.

My opinion, since u got loan wid finance co, u should check with ur insurance co when u can settle d loan with d finance co.

Thanks for much for your advice.

up for awesome info!!! [thumbsup]  [thumbsup] [thumbsup]  

Thanks for much for your advice.

FYI, he retained his car no too n paid $1000 to LTA. It will only be refunded if he buy a new car. Do let d insurance co know if u want to retain car no when u gave d Pin. Good lucks

Edited by keanie

FYI, he retained his car no too n paid $1000 to LTA. It will only be refunded if he buy a new car. Do let d insurance co know if u want to retain car no when u gave d Pin. Good lucks

Thanks for that. By the way, do you know if your friend's insurance premium did increase significantly after he got his new car?

• Praise 1

Thanks for that. By the way, do you know if your friend's insurance premium did increase significantly after he got his new car?

Oh! I didn't ask n he haven't got d car yet.

Wow. Your fren is lucky. My manager, car burnt, 1yr plus liao still havent settle yet. Insurance and workshop still fighting. He has engaged a lawyer to help fight the case against the insurance company to make a payout + compensate loss of use($8k). Cos he leaving SG very soon and wants this to be over and done with.

He sent his car for servicing at AD, its a Vitara 4WD. One day after servicing, while driving, the car caught fire. Its an electrical fire from the engine bay. He managed to extinguish the fire with help from a fire extinguisher from a nearby building. So now aunty lucy wana claim from AD but AD is saying not their fault. Car is in stock condition. So ding dong here and there.

Engine compartment all burnt. But exterior still ok. But it was to be scraped due to extensive damage in engine compartment.

Wow. Your fren is lucky. My manager, car burnt, 1yr plus liao still havent settle yet. Insurance and workshop still fighting. He has engaged a lawyer to help fight the case against the insurance company to make a payout + compensate loss of use($8k). Cos he leaving SG very soon and wants this to be over and done with.

He sent his car for servicing at AD, its a Vitara 4WD. One day after servicing, while driving, the car caught fire. Its an electrical fire from the engine bay. He managed to extinguish the fire with help from a fire extinguisher from a nearby building. So now aunty lucy wana claim from AD but AD is saying not their fault. Car is in stock condition. So ding dong here and there.

Engine compartment all burnt. But exterior still ok. But it was to be scraped due to extensive damage in engine compartment.

when comes to claims, auntie lucy is the worst.  I never buy insurance from them.  There is a reason that their premiums are cheap.

when comes to claims, auntie lucy is the worst.  I never buy insurance from them.  There is a reason that their premiums are cheap.

I don't think their premium is cheap. 

Similarly, my fren sent his car for servicing few days earlier at one of his regular workshop. Indeed, d insurance co did check wid d workshop what had been done. Probably, d car is due to be scrapped tis Sep n d paid out amount is not much. d insurance company did tell him, settlement will be fast unlike an accident claim as long as no foul play or illegal modification of d car. It only happened in early Jan tis year.

Twincharged

I don't think their premium is cheap. 

Not cheap but the cheapest already. At least for me. Maybe they cater to the younger drivers. I am in my mid 20s and of all the companies I go to, NTUC gave me the best rates. Might be different for others though cuz mine is third-party, fire and theft only.

I think maybe cuz just do servicing so they suspect the AD did something wrongly causing the fire. For other cases, if the car has been functioning properly and nothing has been done to it for a period of time, there is really no one they can blame for it.

Not cheap but the cheapest already. At least for me. Maybe they cater to the younger drivers. I am in my mid 20s and of all the companies I go to, NTUC gave me the best rates. Might be different for others though cuz mine is third-party, fire and theft only.

I am not comparing those online company like Aviva or DirectAsia.

I compare it with AXA or AIG, and decided AXA offer the best value for money.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1