Advice on subwoofer upgrade

Corgan

Neutral Newbie

Currently using an OZ audio vector 3 12" sub woofer running off alpine MRP650 monoblock (400W at 4ohm, 600W at 2ohm).

Thinking of upgrading and my installer has given me 2 options. Both are 12 inch subwoofers but I think the genesis is running at 4ohm while the ME is at 2ohm. Both comes with DVC.

1) Genesis Audiophile 30.1 Subwoofer http://www.genesiscaraudio.net/speakers/au...0.01/index.html

2) OZ audio Matrix Elite 12 sub woofer http://www.ozaudio.com/pages/ME12.html

The genre of music I usally listen to is usually vocals with a little pop/rock at times.

Any advice or experience with the 2 subs? Any other recommendations for subs will do as well.

I have listened to the Genesis sub in my car but have not tried the ME in my car yet. Would welcome anyone willing to lend me the ME for a while to audit.

Thanks in advance. [;)]

↡ Advertisement

Have heard the genesis too... nice [thumbsup][thumbsup]

i would describe it as a gentleman's sub; not harsh nor overpowering, but smooth good push. I thought for the pop/rock genre, it plays pretty good.

Unfortunately have not heard the OZ ME...

have u considered stuff like IDmax, or JL12W6? I would admit i have some biasness towards JL.. haha... just love its sound....

Neutral Newbie

I would love to get the IDMAX but my monoblock cant support it. [:(] Havent heard JL either.

eh harrow, are you sure you never hear OZ ME before??? its been around since nasi padang days in one car or another hahaaa..... [sly]

if your monoblock can't support IDMAX then it probably can't push the OZ ME either [:p] the construction of both subs are similar (if you look at the magnet/basket etc so they are pbly from the same OEM manufacturer [:p] ) but i think the OZ is a little hungrier power wise....

Neutral Newbie

If I remember, OZ ME runs at 2ohm 700watt. Running it at 600w should not make that much of a difference, would it? [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie
dun like that lah, why you downgrade his W7 to W6? [sly][:p]

Haha...for a moment I was trying to remember if it's W6 or W7. Then humtum W6. Unfortunately, salah liao [blush]

Neutral Newbie

Just a quick qn, the ME is 700w at 2ohm, will running it at 600w with my current amp be an issue?

Hi Jonathan,

According to the OZ ME webpage, it states:

OZ ME12 Specification

Diameter 12"

Impedance: Dual 2 ohms or 4 ohm

Power (RMS/Peak) 700/1400 watts

So that means your ME12 is capable from 700w at 4 ohms RMS up to 1,400w Peak.

From this you know that a 600w monoblock will never be good enough for this sucker.

If I were you, I will get a 1000w @ 4 ohms amp to power this OZ ME12 and you will hear the diff.

↡ Advertisement