Insurance agent as career?

Albeniz

if it is a try and see how, i would suggest go part time first. main thing to have monthly funds to cover all expenses.

I think after MDRT, there is another top level one....chen mingli got that i kw. She is from AIA, Wang yuqing also from aia....he is a mgr

after MDRT will be COT, TOP.

↡ Advertisement

I think u got to be an all rounder in the insurance line to be sucessful. As in not just sell family or individual policies but also corporate, industrial or even car insurance.

So your knowledge on the policies u sell must be tok kong. So have to spent money for their courses to equip yourself.

Do it as part-time basis first lor...

This might sound harsh but it's true... If you are active in the church, that's a good place to start selling. I've friends who did quite well from there. However, after that, you'll really need good knowledge of your product and know how to provide good advices and plans to your customer. To me, a good insurance agent is the one who can plan for your finance and protection needs as time goes on.

you'll really need good knowledge of your product and know how to provide good advices and plans to your customer. To me, a good insurance agent is the one who can plan for your finance and protection needs as time goes on

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

All these while, I have been trained (heavily) in semiconductor-engineering and going into the insurance line is something really new to me.

Well, IMO.

do you have a family?

As you said you are trained heavily in engineering field, is it abit wasted to give it all up? since you are consider skilled worked.

for the 1st few years of workin as insurance agent, i believe income will be unstable, there are alot of factors you have to consider. Its not as easy as you drop your particulars in the booth and receive a call from them.

you have think whether, if you change a working place (but still within your engr field), will you be better off (if in the 1st place, you wanted to look for higher pay thats why you visited the career fair) or than to change your working environment totally???

Conclusion: Are you willing to give up when you are heavily skilled, and starts working in a total new environment with unfix salary, unstable income (dunno whether you have to support your family)

Edited by Melissa
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Trained heavily in engineering as in I have a Ph.D and Masters in Engineering.

I found it a harsh fact that when I left my previous semiconductor company, it is difficult for me to gain re-employment into this industry again. I may be considered as "unnecessarily-overqualified" by some companies.

That's why I ended up in the career fair.

Edited by Albeniz

Turbocharged

I have applied for positions on company websites, written Emails to their HRs but received very few responses till date.

Turbocharged
(edited)

With my salary, they could almost hire 2 fresh engineering graduates.

Edited by Albeniz

ya i know its not easy. with qualifications like yours.

have you resign from your company yet? I dunno insurance can be done PT or not. If not you can try meanwhile you look for openings.

How about starting your own career?

Edited by Melissa

Supercharged

Bro with yr solid background have you consider passing on yr knowledge in our polytechnic.

I believe you weigh more in gold than those PRC engaged to teach in our 2 universities.

• Praise 1

Some of my ex-classmates with First Class Honors in Engineering (graduated in 1997) ended up in the insurance line today. They are very smart people.

There must be some reasons behind why they switched. But I don't know if it is a wise move.

I need you guys' opinions. Good or bad, I accept.

Perhaps your ex-classmates, if you're still in contact with them, would be able to advise you better. Personally, I think the stage in their careers when they made the move to insurance line also makes a difference. When you switch mid-career, you have a lot more things to think about. [nod]

Turbocharged
How about starting your own career?

While waiting for interviews, I have started a gift-florist shop with my sister.

Supercharged

bro, not bad u hv managed to dip into other avenues. how abt as a consultant with yr expertise??

u mean teachers pay good? or bonus good?

Most say nowadays teachers job very stressful. It is not as glamourous as u see on tv

From what I heard and know ... quite good.

Yes ... it is stressful but which job is not?

Turbocharged
(edited)
bro, not bad u hv managed to dip into other avenues. how abt as a consultant with yr expertise??

My expertise might be more theoretical-based, as I have spent most of my time as research engineer/research fellow in our local university.

Difficult to function as a consultant for industry.

Thinking of starting a tuition center though, if I have no other ways out.

Edited by Albeniz

Turbocharged
(edited)

Just a small humble gift/florist shop for a start.

I hope my aging mum can make a simple daily living out of it, after I manage to get back into full-employment.

Edited by Albeniz

Supercharged

eh, u got lobang or not?

i just want to be a mamasan PA since my area of expertise is running errands and be ahmad? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

↡ Advertisement