Trusty

Which fridge brand is better?  

88 members have voted

1. 1.

• mitsubishi
    • samsung
    • lg

Wow, you're very technical and hands-on, i see...  [thumbsup]

I'm already impressed with myself to be able to unscrew and take out the panel to remove the ice - have to disconnect the big fan piece in the process and then reconnect later - and after that put everything back together and it continues to work...

wouldn't have done it if i didn't manage to 偷师 when the technician was doing it the first time.

What does the analog switch do? If want to manually defrost, can't we just switch off the power to the fridge?

Actually, the technician had advised us to do that - switch off the power maybe every 2-3 months for half a day and let the frost that is formed, to melt, then can on again...

But to me, that's like going back to the old type fridge that my mother used when i was a young kid. Those type only one door, with the freezer on the top part of the fridge. Every month must switch off power and wash the fridge...

40 years later, and we regressed instead of progress leh...  [sweatdrop]

So that's it, no more LG fridge for me when this one RODs...

It's a simple 24hr  timer switch (I didn't describe it properly)

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=6502

I bought previously from the shop now called Masterpro at Serangoon North.

The switch has a ring of "sticks" around the timer with 24 hr time marking. Each stick is 15mins. Push it forward (or backward), it will switch off or on.

It's automatic and runs around the clock.

So I can set for example, at 11am, 2 hrs switch off, 5pm 2 hrs switch off, 2am 2hr off etc.

The repair tech told me the fridge is set to turn on the heater every 8 hrs.

So instead of the heater, you switch off the power for 1~2 hrs, enough time for the ice to melt, around every 8 hrs interval.

But bcuz the fridge door is always closed most of the time, the temp is still cool inside, unless you leave the door open for long period.

So the food won't spoil.

In fact, if you watch those big chillers in supermarts like fairprice, they have a manual defrost timer setting as well.

Manual defrost is better for keeping food for long period as compared to heater.

Manual defrost simply means shutting down the power, to let the ice melt. [:p]

Heater is for consumer's convenience. The professionals still use manual defrost.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I use the brand that old generation like, Sharp [laugh] the old one last more than 15 yrs, change it because we hiam it is too old, replaced with another Sharp :D

• Praise 1

Mine is LG. Using it since 14 years ago. Still going strong :D

Another LG supporter...

How come you guys so lucky, your LG so good??

Mine convinced me to never buy it again...  [laugh]

It's a simple 24hr  timer switch (I didn't describe it properly)

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=6502

I bought previously from the shop now called Masterpro at Serangoon North.

The switch has a ring of "sticks" around the timer with 24 hr time marking. Each stick is 15mins. Push it forward (or backward), it will switch off or on.

It's automatic and runs around the clock.

So I can set for example, at 11am, 2 hrs switch off, 5pm 2 hrs switch off, 2am 2hr off etc.

The repair tech told me the fridge is set to turn on the heater every 8 hrs.

So instead of the heater, you switch off the power for 1~2 hrs, enough time for the ice to melt, around every 8 hrs interval.

But bcuz the fridge door is always closed most of the time, the temp is still cool inside, unless you leave the door open for long period.

So the food won't spoil.

In fact, if you watch those big chillers in supermarts like fairprice, they have a manual defrost timer setting as well.

Manual defrost is better for keeping food for long period as compared to heater.

Manual defrost simply means shutting down the power, to let the ice melt. [:p]

Heater is for consumer's convenience. The professionals still use manual defrost.

I see... ok, i think i know what you're talking about. Thanks!

It might not work for me, as my fridge is opened quite a lot everyday, as we cook daily...

Unless switch it to off only during midnight period when everybody is sleeping and nobody will open it...

Oh, after the ice melts, won't the fridge get wet? 

Another LG supporter...

Mine convinced me to never buy it again... [laugh]

It might not work for me, as my fridge is opened quite a lot everyday, as we cook daily...

Unless switch it to off only during midnight period when everybody is sleeping and nobody will open it...

I also use lg. Close to 15 years. But serviced once around the 7th year. That time repair man top up gas. Don't why can last another 7 years plus, since suspect a leak for gas in the first place.

Another LG supporter...

Mine convinced me to never buy it again...  [laugh]

There's a hole at the bottom for drainage, and a tray behind the fridge that collects the water.

It's evaporated off by the heat emanating from the compressor.

When you're using the heater normally, that's how the water is evaporated off.

So you haven't change anything by cycling the power on and off.

The cool thing about cycling the power is that you save energy as well, when it's off.

I like to read....and Playboy produce magazines.....

:D

Mitsubishi 12 years and no problems.

I bought it cos they make cars and

I like cars.  [thumbsup]

one thing I learn...always trust your own research. Never trust the salesmen. Their recommended product invariably will be the one that gives them the best commission.

mitsubishi when i bought my fridge few years ago, is sibei outdated technology. U even need to remove a water tray at the bottom once a month at least !!  [crazy]

When i shortlisted the mitsubishi from online specs, the salesman gave me a "are you sure?" look. He said i tell u something first, confirm 100% dealbreaker.

• Praise 1

I used a Mitsubishi fridge with rotary motor and fuzzy logic for over 18 years before the main circuit board conged! and yes, there was a tray underneath, but I did not have to empty it. The water evaporated by itself.

• Praise 1

Using Panasonic fridge now and it actually condenses outside the freezer. Many sales people tell me that problem without me telling that I am having such an issue.  [smallcry]

When I was shopping for a fridge a few years back, the salesperson actually showed me a sticker on the inside of the door of a Panasonic fridge. I cannot remember what it says now, but its something to the effect of there will be condensation on the sides of the fridge which will need wiping. He added that if don't wipe then parts will start to rust. Totally put off, so ended up with a Hitachi, use till now about 5years +, working well too, but doors creak a little

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

When I was shopping for a fridge a few years back, the salesperson actually showed me a sticker on the inside of the door of a Panasonic fridge. I cannot remember what it says now, but its something to the effect of there will be condensation on the sides of the fridge which will need wiping. He added that if don't wipe then parts will start to rust. Totally put off, so ended up with a Hitachi, use till now about 5years +, working well too, but doors creak a little

That’s exactly what the salesman show me.
  • Praise 1

I used a Mitsubishi fridge with rotary motor and fuzzy logic for over 18 years before the main circuit board conged! and yes, there was a tray underneath, but I did not have to empty it. The water evaporated by itself.

Maybe only Lala has this problem.

He has a lot of water and has to

empty himself once a month.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

My only recommendation - and this is my lesson - is don't buy LG...

Ours bought in 2011. Side-by-side type. Within a year, got ice formed behind the panels. Got the technician come and he unscrewed the panels to reveal the thick ice, then like did ice sculpture like that, took hammer and screw driver to break the formed ice...

I observed at the side...

one year plus later, when warranty no more covered, i started doing that myself every year or so, when the ice formed again.

Got one year, ice v big, whole panel kanna pushed outwards from original position.

Then last year, after i did the same, fridge not cold anymore... got the technician to come again, and he diagnosed thermostat spoilt. Had to pay >$100.

And he also said if spoil one more time, then no point repairing again. Better buy new one...

My old place, which i stayed for 11 yr before moving, the fridge is still working fine...

Yours bought in 2011 then spoilt in 2016...

Already outlived his lala's fridge leh.

mitsubishi when i bought my fridge few years ago, is sibei outdated technology. U even need to remove a water tray at the bottom once a month at least !!  [crazy]

When i shortlisted the mitsubishi from online specs, the salesman gave me a "are you sure?" look. He said i tell u something first, confirm 100% dealbreaker.

Really? My parents are using mitsu and I don't think they even know about a water tray.

The 6-door hitachi is worth considering. One of my considering is the extra cold freezer compartment that will not defrost. Hence, best place to store my ice-cream. Last but not least, Made in Japan. 

• Praise 1

I like to read....and Playboy produce magazines.....

Me too.

If the pages not stuck together

can I have a look?

• Praise 2

Yours bought in 2011 then spoilt in 2016...

Already outlived his lala's fridge leh.

Really? My parents are using mitsu and I don't think they even know about a water tray.

Somehow that series had water or condensation tray. I dunno why also. He showed me. Haha maybe I got smoked or what. Their more expensive models like 2 door ones don't have.

The 6-door hitachi is worth considering. One of my considering is the extra cold freezer compartment that will not defrost. Hence, best place to store my ice-cream. Last but not least, Made in Japan.

I actually prefer a 2 door. Unless u have a very large multiple door one, some big items have difficulty fitting.
  • Praise 1

Bought mine Hitachi cos its vacuum compartment and the convenient of an auto ice-maker. Various compartments for different stuff. MIJ
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Maybe all Panasonic models have that sticker inside?

Anyway I am looking at a bottom freezer fridge.

Guess we were possibly looking at the same/similar model lol

Somehow that series had water or condensation tray. I dunno why also. He showed me. Haha maybe I got smoked or what. Their more expensive models like 2 door ones don't have.

I actually prefer a 2 door. Unless u have a very large multiple door one, some big items have difficulty fitting.

For 6-door fridge i.e. Mit and Hitachi, the upper two doors lead to a large single compartment. Also it gives user flexibility in configuring the compartment for odd size storage. The largest 6-door is about 620-640 liters of space. 

↡ Advertisement