• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
128 replies to this topic | 40 praises

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

FocusWagon
  • FocusWagon
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Can the new focus wagon fit a trunk mounted rack? (i assume u are driving one)
Seems to have some plastic part at the top where the top straps are supposed to be secured.

Hee hee wan to drive, not driving.haha.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

For those of u using boot rack, rem to hang VRN on bicycles.

Yesterday, i saw 1 mercedes W124 got stopped by TP along ECP.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Tarzan666
  • Tarzan666
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

wat is VRN?
MCF PS3 Clan 1)Dj_spike:Dj_Shahril 2)Fireball0088:hsb0088 3)Tarzan666:sardin69 4)Tonyhawk:yaharoko 5)Ah_Cow:Ah_Cow 6)Kingcopa:thegod09 7)Freestylers09:freestylers09 8)Wreckwrx:wreckwrx 9)Galantspeedz:accordH22A 10)Unltd:Unltd8 11)Ixus:luckytan 12)Limahmao:limahmao 13)Skylander:rico7ch3t 14)Little_prince:The_king137 15)Hub_n_mona:trebuh007 16)Angguguay:itsagg 17)Ni_Ni10: ni_ni10 18)Windchoco : windchoco 19)King:Ah_nei 20)Tansrb:Tansrb 21)Nlatio: nlatio 22)MadDog70:XTheDarkSideX 23)Tkesper:Tkesper 24)Mazdaowner:SGSEAL64 25)Introz:intro82 26)Thefear:TheFury31 27)Unfair:pepi18022009 28)Ad23:ad23tzj 29)Josho:pboong 30)Lectrosphere:Lectrosphere 31)Bonafidestack:bonafidejack 32)East539:fronsi 33)Pokyman:nicktakenup 34)Antonee:YuYu_Nov 35)Legacyx:Rigares 36)Zac:ZacharySim 37)Thargor:Thargor-Orlando 38)Shorty:STR8_ACE07 39)Mrmilktooth:mrmilktooth 40)VellfireS:VellfireS 41) Elmo:Havock3662

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Evilout
  • Evilout
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I guess he is referring to the Vehicle Registration Number.

Bikes hanging behind might block the rear license plate.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

For those of u using boot rack, rem to hang VRN on bicycles.

Yesterday, i saw 1 mercedes W124 got stopped by TP along ECP.

How to hang our car licence plate onto the rack? I also don't know how to remove it from the bumper... laugh.gif

The W124 could have been stopped by TP for other offenses instead...

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Taipan49
  • Taipan49
    5th Gear
    Author Image

How to hang our car licence plate onto the rack? I also don't know how to remove it from the bumper... laugh.gif

Same as tow trucks. Get a plastic copy made like in the picture.

TP has been cracking down on bike racks obscuring number plates recently.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If kena summon, don't go ST forum KPKB. TP not gonna care.

It is an offence for obstructing your VRN hor.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It is an offence for obstructing your VRN hor.

In the 1st place, is it an offense to use boot bicycle racks? If not, then it is obvious that the rack, or bicycles on it, will obstruct the VRN.

I think this is a grey area whereby LTA is not very clear about..

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Taipan49
  • Taipan49
    5th Gear
    Author Image

In the 1st place, is it an offense to use boot bicycle racks? If not, then it is obvious that the rack, or bicycles on it, will obstruct the VRN.

I think this is a grey area whereby LTA is not very clear about..

From a post at togoparts (bike forum), I think it makes it clear what is required by LTA:

Bicycle racks enquiry FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20090917-0914
We refer to your enquiry dated 17 Sep 09. We regret that we are unable to access the website. Nevertheless, we wish to inform you that in general we have no objection to the installation of a bicycle rack at the rear of a car for the purpose of transporting bicycle(s) so long as the following requirements are complied with:
(a) the vehicle must be suitable to be fitted with the bicycle rack and is designed to carry the additional load;
(b) the installation of the bicycle rack should be carried out in accordance with the product manufacturer's recommendation;
© the bicycle should be securely fastened to the rack;
(d) the bicycle and the rack should not obstruct the view of the driver, the vehicle number plate, the vehicle lighting system or cause any danger to other road users.
(e) if the rear number plate or lights are blocked by the rack or bicycle, an additional number plate or set of lights have to be fitted such that they are clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle;
(f) the ball bar/hook and the bicycle rack must be detached from the vehicle when not in use i.e. fixtures must not be permanent; and if necessary; and
(g) rear view mirrors shall be fitted externally on the off-side and near-side of the vehicle to assist the driver to become aware of traffic at the rear and on both sides rearwards.

As the transportation of bicycle(s) at the rear of the vehicle may have implications on road safety aspects, you are advised to drive the vehicle with due care and attention and with reasonable consideration for other road users. Enforcement action will be taken against drivers who convey their bicycle(s) in a manner likely to cause danger, annoyance or obstruction to other road users.
We hope the above clarifies. Should you require any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1800 2255-582.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Visit My Website
Somemore got photo hor.

Beef up enforcement against wrongly mounted bikes on cars

LAST Saturday morning, I spotted a car with two bicycles mounted at the back travelling along the Pan-Island Expressway towards Changi Airport. The bicycles protruded precariously from the sides of the car and posed a danger to other motorists.

The bicycles also obscured the car's licence plate.

During the entire time that I trailed the vehicle, I saw that it drifted dangerously from side to side, probably because the bicycles blocked the driver's view from the two side mirrors, impairing his ability to change lanes.

Recently, there has been much discussion on the dangers posed by mounted bicycles on cars ("Booked, but officer couldn't say what's the right way to transport bike" by Ms Ng Hwee Ling, Dec 11; and "Apply tow truck-style tweak to bike-ferrying, wedding cars" by Mr Tony Lee, Dec 13), and the Land Transport Authority listed the rules pertaining to the transportation of bicycles on cars ("Right way of transporting a bicycle"; Dec 19).

However, publicity to create awareness is not enough. There are many who still defy the law due to weak enforcement.

The Traffic Police should beef up patrols on weekends and public holidays, especially along roads leading to parks and park connectors.

The Singapore Amateur Cycling Association and the Singapore Cycling Federation, in partnership with the National Safety Council, should issue reminders and circulars to their members on the dangers posed by wrongly mounted bicycles.

Francis Cheng

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

MarThoma
  • MarThoma
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

The bike mount is very cheap in Hup Leong. Do you still have the address?

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Samdo1978
  • Samdo1978
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Bros,

any recommendation which models should get for rear bicycle rack that can hang 2 bicycles(mid size AKA foldable bikes) for Hyundai Avante 07?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPgl5BvVF7w

Roughly my budget is about $400+

Cheers

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Bros,

any recommendation which models should get for rear bicycle rack that can hang 2 bicycles(mid size AKA foldable bikes) for Hyundai Avante 07?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPgl5BvVF7w

Roughly my budget is about $400+

Cheers

$400 should be able to get very good bike racks liao. Go bicycle shops and ask, or Google on the web you should be able to find a few listings.

I know Giant Hypermarket @ Tampines have sell. Around $100-$200.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Blueblueman
  • Blueblueman
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Hi, anyone got a used boot rack to let go??

Is hup leong still the best place to look for for a boot bike rack?

Thanks

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Count-Bracula
  • Premium member
    Count-Bracula
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Always have this fear the rack not secured properly so bought folding bikes instead.
Me Newcastle fan

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Blueblueman
  • Blueblueman
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Since on bicycle thread.
I got a 20 yr old bmx Dyno slammer, body n rim all not rusty , in good condition.
Wondering should I rebuild it to normal condition for my 7 yo old or should I jus buy a brand new $200 MTb for him? Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Let's say both rebuild n new one is same at $200

Thanks, hope those into bikes can help haha

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

IMO just buy a new one.

Calculate the cost of parts needed to restore the bike so that he can ride it. Most likely should be able to get a new bike that is better though. 

Edited by Nzy, 24 July 2014 - 06:49 PM.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

alex976
  • Premium member
    alex976
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hi, anyone got a used boot rack to let go??

Is hup leong still the best place to look for for a boot bike rack?

Thanks

I duno abt hup leong.

But i do know that tay cycle at ubi and rodalink all more reputable in selling bike racks for cars.

Another is that try to buy new rack cos you never know what happened to a used rack.

I would recommend saris bones cos can be used for either sedan or hatchback

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Myxilplix
  • Myxilplix
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Since on bicycle thread.
I got a 20 yr old bmx Dyno slammer, body n rim all not rusty , in good condition.
Wondering should I rebuild it to normal condition for my 7 yo old or should I jus buy a brand new $200 MTb for him? Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Let's say both rebuild n new one is same at $200

Thanks, hope those into bikes can help haha

Rebuild yo. It's like a piece of history and already proven that it can last. Besides he can learn sick tricks on it. Plus something simple for him instead of having multiple gears etc.

I dunno how long a 200-dollar mtb would last anyway.

A line of paint on a road holds more authority than I ever will.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Blueblueman
  • Blueblueman
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Rebuild yo. It's like a piece of history and already proven that it can last. Besides he can learn sick tricks on it. Plus something simple for him instead of having multiple gears etc.

I dunno how long a 200-dollar mtb would last anyway.

You got it! I was telling my wife we could easily get a entry lvl MTb at maybe $120
But it's normal material n wun last or how should I say....

But this bmx is like so much feelings for it. 20 yrs ago I save bit by bit and bought part by part to self build and it's proven to last till now no matter kept in store room or out along corridor in sun n rain

The feeling is hard to describe. Thanks I think I will rebuild
Lastly got to bring down shop to see if they the brake line etc etc
Hahaha

I duno abt hup leong.

But i do know that tay cycle at ubi and rodalink all more reputable in selling bike racks for cars.

Another is that try to buy new rack cos you never know what happened to a used rack.

I would recommend saris bones cos can be used for either sedan or hatchback

Alright thanks will make a trip to Tay cycle n also found one at chin swee
Thanks

IMO just buy a new one.

Calculate the cost of parts needed to restore the bike so that he can ride it. Most likely should be able to get a new bike that is better though. 

Carried a 20" MTb entry lvl IMO heavy n basic parts
I try rebuild it n when my boy can reach a full size MTb then invest in a better one
Thanks for your suggestion

Back to Accessories  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Chuan Heng Signcrafts Pte Ltd

Chuan Heng Signcrafts Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Thecarboy302  |  3rd Gear

Dropped by Chuan Heng Signcrafts based on good SGCarmart reviews to have my car's fading old registration plates changed to new ones. Service provided was excellent, lady boss was professional in recommending the suitable design and type of registration plate for my car. New plates were done up fast and entire process was quick and fuss-free. Highly recommended to those... » Read More

Advant Auto Garage

Advant Auto Garage  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by TimoEtz  |  Neutral Newbie

Moe and his crew have been servicing my cars for couple of years now and he is my "Go to guy" For any automotive problems - be it simple replacement of battery, fixing my wife's roadster roof, changing air-con or suspension system.

He treats every customer - regardless of car brand - with utmost respect and provides top-notch service.

His price... » Read More

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Accessories Retail

Quick Reply

Tags: bicycle rack, bike accessories and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users