Removing of battery

Junjie

Hi all,

Oversea assignment for 1 mth.. thinking of disconnecting the battery. I understand to remove is negative terminal first follow by positive terminal and to connect back is the reverse...the question is do I need to remove both terminals or just remove the negative connection can liao.....any bro can advise, thks... [:)]

↡ Advertisement

remove negative can liaoz... but not advisable to do this. pass key to some1 just start the engine in 2 weeks later for ard 10-15 mins.

reason is tat ur ECU taps fr battery. if ur ECU is reset to factory default, ur FC may go up.

also for security reason, my advise is remove everything fr the car visually and place in boot. even fr the front dash, keep dash box open empty. keep cashcard cover open, no card. no parking coupons. if u hv wiper stand, keep the wipers up. steering locked.

Thks bro, but starting the car and let it idle doesn't charge up the battery unless it's driven for a period....bcos OC no licence, can only sit inside and start engine to let it run...therefore I was thinking whether should I disconnect.... [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Not necessary to drive. In neutral gear, increase the rpm to >2000 rpm so that the alternator could have the optimum voltage to charge the batt. However, wasting petrol.

May I know why not advisable to disconnect besides resetting of ECU, all pre-set stuffs on the HU gone.....anything I miss out? disconnecting will do more harm to the car? pls advise..thks [:)]

IMHO, preferably to disconnect the battery as the self discharge is slower. If battery is in good condition, can just leave it but remove any VS or any devices than potentially drains the battery.

Crank starting a car requires battery juice. Engine idle, because of the higher voltage, could still charge the car battery but whether that tens of minutes is sufficient to replenish what is taken out by the cranking is difficult to determine.

Batteries left in their discharged state for a period of time will have their lifespan shorten.

(edited)
Hi all,

Oversea assignment for 1 mth.. thinking of disconnecting the battery. I understand to remove is negative terminal first follow by positive terminal and to connect back is the reverse...the question is do I need to remove both terminals or just remove the negative connection can liao.....any bro can advise, thks... [:)]

I think dont need remove battery.

For modern cars, 1 month no touch the car is still alright.

A few weeks no problem la, Car can still start easily... depends on your battery condition la.

Probably you may let the engine run to charge the battery a while before you go oversea.

Best still, ask friend or relative to help you engine run charge once a week. Like that at least someone know your car is still there [laugh] . [thumbsup]

Edited by Ncss

remove negative can liaoz... but not advisable to do this. pass key to some1 just start the engine in 2 weeks later for ard 10-15 mins.

reason is tat ur ECU taps fr battery. if ur ECU is reset to factory default, ur FC may go up.

also for security reason, my advise is remove everything fr the car visually and place in boot. even fr the front dash, keep dash box open empty. keep cashcard cover open, no card. no parking coupons. if u hv wiper stand, keep the wipers up. steering locked.

U do not want to fark up the ECU. U have to send in to AD for resetting!!!!! [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Sorry guys, noob here..check with you how good battery -> 13.6V - 14.2V during driving?

Without turning to ignition, Battery = 12V

Are these 2 conditions define as healthy battery?

Many thanks guys!

Thks bro, but starting the car and let it idle doesn't charge up the battery unless it's driven for a period....bcos OC no licence, can only sit inside and start engine to let it run...therefore I was thinking whether should I disconnect.... smile.gif

just crank the engine let it warm up a bit.. for 10 mins is all tat is needed for the alternator to power up the battery, no nid to drive ard wat.

IMHO, actually it's much more complicated but my take on your questions...

Without turning on ignition AND when the vehicle has rested for 4-6 hours, ideal battery voltage should be 12.6V. Any voltage > 12V could mean battery not fully charged or the battery is damaged. However, the voltage alone does not determine whether the battery has enough charge to crank start the car. A more accurate way is to use a load or CCA tester.

13.6v - 14.2v during driving in most cases means the alternator is working correctly.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for your reply ya, I think its time for me to check and if possible change the battery..its been 1.5 years anyway.

↡ Advertisement