Data Recovery for Laptop

Sabian

Congrats! You (most likely) just got infected by Maxi_i virus shakehead.gif

Before this event did you experience out of the blue there's music playing in the background?

It is spread by USB thumb drive.

I just got rid of it from my notebook.

need to boot with BartPE, remove the Maxi_i.exe and maxi.exe

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

hi bro. you got any experience with it? I tried looking for such software at SLS, but can only find them online.

I can see the file names with the shareware version, but dunno after extracting them can still read them or not.

contact green energy lor.. but hor, wat happened?

u wanna take out the HDD and lemme take a look using my laptop?

i hv smthg to check and hopefully can repair ur registry keys

if it's not the maxi virus which shared similar symptoms, then the file userinit.exe in windows/system32 is kaput.

A quick way is to use BartPE to run a mini win XP to copy the userinit.exe from a good PC to the affected one. wink.gif

Turbocharged
The last time I check, CBL Data Recovery charges from $800 upwards.

Was quoted >$2000 for my 40G harddisk [hur][hur] no wonder its C B L [lipsrsealed]

The shops at Sim Lim Square quoted about $300, but after checking my HDD, all (actually only 3 shops lah ) say they can't do anything.

if u know where to find, some of it are for free trial... [:p]

Hi Bro,

I think i can help you, wont charge much. i have the tools to retrieve the data.

PM me if you r interested.

ok

maybe I make it clear, i do not need the cleanroom type. No need to go operating table.

in fact one of the SLS shp i went to plug the lappy HDD to a cable and claims he can retrieve the data but when he started rambling on abt +++ charges here and there. I just gave $30 and tell him need to rethink.

I think it's more of a software problem or virus.

Sounds like software corruption.. you can easily purchase those USB portable hard disk case and connect the laptop hard disk to it.. then plug it into another PC or laptop to retrieve the files that you want..

Turbocharged

let me see what options i have

not in s'pore now returning on Sat but leaving on Mon. Maybe leave it to my bro to handle for me.

Turbocharged

Apollo offered to help you fix the notebook.

But make sure you have no "interesting" photos inside. [sly]

Be careful!

My Laptop cannot boot up WinXP. So I downloaded the Live CD from:

http://software.opensuse.org/

Burn it into a CD and boot from it. It'll run Linux OS from the CD. From there, U can try to access your harddisk and access/recover your data onto a thumb drive or external harddisk as the USB port still works. [thumbsup]

This method beats removing your harddisk and risk damaging or void of warranty. [thumbsup]

But if it doesn't work, then U have to try other suggestions... [sweatdrop]

This method works for me to just extract the critical files I need first, before finding time to extract all other datas and re-format the harddisk for re-installation. [sweatdrop]

Good luck. [thumbsup]

Yup yup... that's me... [rolleyes]

That time somebody say use Linux bootup CD and then read the harddisk ... and was able to recover the data.

Maybe you want try .... [nod][nod]

Does anyone have contacts for data recovery?

Went to Sim Lim and kenna scared off when 3 different shops have conflicting diagnosis (some say virus, some say HDD spoil and another one say the password mgr corrupted...) and quoted some unbelievable fees up to $400.

I am IT noob but not noob until like that.

Not worried abt privacy stuff as the lappy is used to do word processing and generate letters.

Have you tried removing the hdd and plug it into another computer as a portable drive? From there you can retrieve your data and re-format the hdd.

Neutral Newbie
Does anyone have contacts for data recovery?

Went to Sim Lim and kenna scared off when 3 different shops have conflicting diagnosis (some say virus, some say HDD spoil and another one say the password mgr corrupted...) and quoted some unbelievable fees up to $400.

I am IT noob but not noob until like that.

Not worried abt privacy stuff as the lappy is used to do word processing and generate letters.

Hi, actually $400 is considered cheap. There's a few companies that does professional level recovery (e.g. ADRIOT or CBL Technologies) that easily costs 4-digit minimum. It all boils down to how much you view your data is worth.

If cost is not a concern, I would recommend CBL Technologies. They actually sourced a similar hard disk to the crashed hdd (down to the exact make/model/batch) and I understand in some instances, swap platters in a clean room environment or something close to that to retrieve your data. Used them once and was very impressed. Some other companies I enquired gave up, but CBL delivered.

PS - I'm not a staff in any of the companies mentioned above and am in no way related to them. Just sharing my experience as an end user.

Turbocharged
Apollo offered to help you fix the notebook.

But make sure you have no "interesting" photos inside. [sly]

Be careful!

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

he not keen on my pics lah, he got more interesting pussy photos.

u neber see the avatar keep changing?

↡ Advertisement