Confirmed - Borneo's Wish Made in Thailand - Will You Still Buy?

Jolie888

I don't want to debate QC levels btw JDM and Thai made as both can and will have issues, a car is a car, my point is you should seriously weigh the after service options. Or else it is just like marrying pretty wife with empty head. Maybe that is your kind. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

What kinda after sales service options are you looking at from AD or BM. If you keep regular maintenance of your car, it is unlikely to breakdown one. For the 5 yrs waranty, I think BM has actually include the cost of the additional 2 yrs into the selling price.

I have owned 2 version of corolla fm BM(G9 and Altis) n currently driving a PI Wish. For both corolla, I only went back to BM for the free servicing only, there after I send it to my preferred workshop for regular servicing. Both car never failed me during the first 4 yrs and i never when back to claimed anything fm BM also hence to me I feel buying a BM Wish with 5 yrs warranty doesn't really makes sense which is why i go for PI JDM Wish instead.

I have nothing against MIT toyota but I do agree that the workmanship is really of inferior quality. My Altis had the wood grain panel printing peel/drop off after 5mths of drivin and the leather that stick on the 4 door interior all starts peeling off too(i'm not alone for tis. Its a common prob for altis owner). I also found the wirings not run in a neat manner as compared to my G9.

As for PI Wish, so long it is purchased fm reputated PIs, it shld be alright. I believe as a buyer, they will that that into consideration.

You used the words "unlikely" and "reputed" these two tiny words would determine the whole message of the post, change them around and you will have a HUGE nightmare. 'nuff said.

Neutral Newbie
But for me, there is no two-ways about it, with regards to the country-of-manufacture of the car (or for that matter, anything else) that I am buying.

agreed! [nod]

even for other products (e.g. last time was buying a Zojirushi hot water flask [:p] ), went to Isetan to have a look.

two models, one Thai and one Japan made, can see that the Japan made one has very good finishing and quality. [thumbsup]

the Thai one is rough and filmsy, horrible. [thumbsdown]

cty of prodn does matter [nod]

Yes I agree, for small products w/o need for any major after sales service, by all means you can go for your preffered country of mfr but for cars with thousands of mechanical parts I think that is a different story, after sales service should be a big issue in your purchase decision.

Neutral Newbie

bro, you look at the price difference how to justify buying from BM? Even if really got problem, and we are assuming got problem, the few thousand dollars more than enough to repair/replace. If price difference is marginal then maybe people will be swayed lah. Really no arguement lah...........and thatz coming from a neutral party that has no interest in a Wish.

(edited)
Aiya, after sales service is the most important, whether Thai or Japan made also will breakdown. Well good luck with that, your choice is personal, but PI iffy warranty and service plus Singapore's weak consumer laws would make any PI purchase too shaky and weak for me.

Its alright, I'd still go for a JDM Wish. Will never touch a Thai Wish with a 10-ft pole.

This will be our 3rd car and this Wish will be the family's weekend car.

Service and warranty is thus not top priority for me and most workshops can service the 1ZZ-FE engine anyway.

Let's see ... car's that use the 1ZZ-FE engine ... Toyota Celica, Toyota Isis, Lotus Elise, Toyota Allion and many more ...

1-2 week out of action for a more-major repair job? No big deal ... it can remain in the workshop, without impacting my wife's and my lifestyle. [:|]

As long as it is a Japanese Wish .... and not a Thai-made one [sweatdrop]

Edited by W210k

(edited)
Conti? You are welcomed to try.

Our BMW and Audi at home have no problems at all, for the last 3 years ... and still going strong.

Time-tested and proven [thumbsup]

Edited by W210k

(edited)
... the workmanship is really of inferior quality. My Altis had the wood grain panel printing peel/drop off after 5mths of drivin and the leather that stick on the 4 door interior all starts peeling off too(i'm not alone for tis. Its a common prob for altis owner). I also found the wirings not run in a neat manner as compared to my G9.

I agree totally with you [nod]

So many of my colleagues have 'discarded' their Thai-made Camry and Altis over the last few years BECAUSE of similar issues that you have highlighted. Not only peeling problems, but plastics becoming sticky under our hot sun!

All these similar problems faced by Toyota owners cannot be the result of serendipity lah!

It has to do with a fundamental flaw that Toyota has in their Thailand assembly plant.

Cheap elephant glue anyone?

Talk about Made-in-Thailand [shakehead]

Edited by W210k

(edited)
Yes I agree, for small products w/o need for any major after sales service, by all means you can go for your preffered country of mfr but for cars with thousands of mechanical parts I think that is a different story, after sales service should be a big issue in your purchase decision.

Exactly.

A JDM Wish will have a lot of its parts (though, I stress, not all) sourced from Japanese OEM suppliers.

And a Thai Wish will have similar parts sourced from Thai OEM suppliers, maybe perhaps the engine block is still from Japan (don't know).

It just makes plain good business sense.

And using your own words, so why then resort to "thousands of mechanical parts" from Thailand, when I can have "thousands of mechanical parts" from Japan? Huh?

And I stress again, I do realise that a JDM car need not have 100% of its parts made in Japan. But at least, most will be. All you need is to open up the bonnet of a JDM Wish.

You will see things like "Nippon Denso - Made in Japan".

You will also never get to see any Thai words, unlike the 'other' Wish.

Edited by W210k

bro, you look at the price difference how to justify buying from BM? Even if really got problem, and we are assuming got problem, the few thousand dollars more than enough to repair/replace. If price difference is marginal then maybe people will be swayed lah. Really no arguement lah...........and thatz coming from a neutral party that has no interest in a Wish.

You said it spot-on right bro! [thumbsup][nod]

What mileage? My past and present BMWs have given me endless problems, but no matter to me, as I am not "for a few dollrs more" can get Conti type owner.

But for me, there is no two-ways about it, with regards to the country-of-manufacture of the car (or for that matter, anything else) that I am buying.

agreed! [nod]

even for other products (e.g. last time was buying a Zojirushi hot water flask [:p] ), went to Isetan to have a look.

two models, one Thai and one Japan made, can see that the Japan made one has very good finishing and quality. [thumbsup]

the Thai one is rough and filmsy, horrible. [thumbsdown]

cty of prodn does matter [nod]

Agree with you man. [nod]

Another analogy: If Bang & Olufsen (B&O) sells a TV model of exactly the same specification, but one is made in Denmark and the other made in Thailand. Which one will you buy?

If they are both of the same price, then its a no-brainer .... most will take the made in Denmark B&O TV, without even asking any further questions.

Even if the Danish-made TV is priced slightly higher (say 10% more), I'd still take the 'original-sourced' TV (afterall, B&O is Danish).

I recall once when I was at a CD shop. Took 2 similar CDs, one made in EU and the other made in Malaysia. Was not sure if it was a labeling error, but both were priced the same. Before I paid, asked to clarify. The cashier took some time to inspect the difference, and even she told me that the EU one should rightfully not be priced the same as the Malaysian print.

But since she confirmed (after much scrutiny and checking her computerised inventory) that they are both the same price, guess which one I took and paid for?

This type of things, no need to think so hard one lah. [laugh]

Funny, from your buying pattern, I would not even consider the Wish, the Honda Stream is way better and is also from Japan.

The 1ZZ-FE is a super old engine and only put into the lowest entry level Toyotas, dump the Wish.

Geez, dunno why I keep replying you on Thai vs Japan.

My past and present BMWs have given me endless problems ...

You probably got a lemon ..... its just too bad man.

↡ Advertisement