Pedra Branca: MY trying to play dirty again..........

Dipstick

Neutral Newbie
Only Pedra Branca is considered an island. The Middle Rocks are outcrops and not islands. As for the South Ledge which is visible only at low tide, ICJ decided that it belongs to whichever country whose territory it is in.

Only an island has a territorial boundary and EEZ. As such, middle rocks being outcrops, do not have any. Therein lies the reason for MY trying to downgrade PB from an island to an outcrop.

Guess they will try to find all means to interpret the ICJ ruling to their favor. I don't remember them tryin to change the nature of P. Sipadan from pulau to batu when they won the ruling from Indon.

↡ Advertisement

Thank God Malaysia is such a farked up country ruled by halfwits and nincompoops, and populated by worse!

If Malaysia was any more efficient and productive, Singapore is Farked!

The same goes for Indonesia... if those dumbasses ever got their act together, I think we can say goodbye to this little red dot liao. I, for one, have no wish to be a Malaysian or Indonesian citizen!

Saw from a free copy of 'Today' that although the Court decision is consider as fina; but there seems to be a grace period of 10 years should MY is able to produce new evidence [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Their FM say they going to find a si mi letter to prove that the little island is theirs [gossip][gossip][gossip]

The latest in Straits Times:

Malaysia not giving up hope on Pedra Branca yet

KUALA LUMPUR - MALAYSIA has renewed its search for evidence to stake its claim to Pedra Branca, just over a week after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) awarded the island to Singapore.

Foreign Minister Rais Yatim said he has directed his officials to try again to trace a letter written by British governor William Butterworth to the temenggong and sultan of Johor seeking permission to build Horsburgh Lighthouse on the island, The Star daily reported yesterday.

Dr Rais said in an interview with the paper that although the ICJ's ruling on May 23 was final and not subject to appeal, there was a specific provision in the court's rules that allowed for a judicial review of a case within 10 years if new evidence was found. He did not cite the exact provision.

'If we can gain sight of that letter, the gate can be opened again. There is a maximum 10-year period but preferably it should be done within six years,' he said.

During the hearing, Malaysia had contended that Britain had built and operated the lighthouse after getting consent from the Johor rulers.

In its argument before the ICJ, Malaysia had cited governor Butterworth's letters as one of the grounds for its claim to Pedra Branca.

YET ANOTHER CHANCE

'If we can gain sight of that letter, the gate can be opened again. There is a maximum 10-year period but preferably it should be done within six years.' - MALAYSIA'S FOREIGN MINISTER RAIS YATIM, on the time window to act if Kuala Lumpur finds a 19th-century letter written by British governor William Butterworth to the temenggong and sultan of Johor seeking permission to build Horsburgh Lighthouse on Pedra Branca

The Star reported that a search for the 19th-century letter had covered 40 institutions in 11 countries, including Britain, India, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, the Netherlands, Portugal, Hong Kong and Malaysia.

'The letter could be in London...We have searched with them but it has not been conclusively proven that they don't have it,' said Dr Rais.

'Probably it is in Singapore. That would be a double jeopardy,' he added.

During the hearing, Malaysia had insinuated that Singapore might have hidden two 1844 letters from governor Butterworth to the rulers of Johor seeking permission to build a lighthouse near Point Romania on the Johor coast.

But Singapore Deputy Prime Minister S. Jayakumar countered that Singapore did not have copies of the letters, and had also searched in vain for them in various archives. He also pointed out that since the letters were sent to Johor's rulers, they were more likely to be in Johor than in Singapore.

Both countries also disputed the area referred to in the letters for which permission was sought. Malaysia said it included Pedra Branca, while Singapore maintained it referred to another group of islands.

Dr Rais said Malaysia could introduce a separate motion to the ICJ if the letter was found.

The ICJ ruling has raised much unhappiness among Malaysian MPs.

Earlier last week, an Umno MP lambasted the government for not archiving its historical documents properly, and thus failing to locate the Butterworth letter.

Following the ICJ's ruling - which awarded Pedra Branca to Singapore and Middle Rocks to Malaysia - the two countries now have to work out how to delimit the territorial waters in the area.

The court did not make a definitive ruling on an outcrop, South Ledge, which is visible only at low tide, saying it belonged to whoever owns the territorial waters it sits in.

Dr Rais said he would propose to Singapore that the waters be opened to fishermen from both countries and also Indonesia.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_243524.html

Why bother with flogging a dying horse? And why are they hoping to drag Indonesia into the picture??? [furious]

Neutral Newbie

never expected our northern neighbours to take it lying down. all the talk about cooperation and all was just a load of bull.

Neutral Newbie

since "indiana jones" is back ..

why dun let MY authorities hire harrison ford and have a new movie called," indiana and the lost letters of the sore L?" ... [laugh]

they can also film some suspense scenes over at the iskandar project .. [laugh]

glad to see tat happen. anyone still dare to pump $$ into Iskandar after CLOBBERED and now this?

Think we should also add in the countless threats to cut of water supply as well right? [sly]

I thought both Sing and Mal say they will not appeal and accept whatever the verdict is?

We're talking about MY politicians here .... expect any form of integrity meh? [rolleyes]

(edited)
'Probably it is in Singapore. That would be a double jeopardy,' he added.

During the hearing, Malaysia had insinuated that Singapore might have hidden two 1844 letters from governor Butterworth to the rulers of Johor seeking permission to build a lighthouse near Point Romania on the Johor coast.

How can they say such things w/o any evidence? That sounds so lame...like anyhow hantum [:|]

Edited by Rickster

right man...good that MY and Indon are run by clowns...if not, we will be nothing...

(edited)

That usually happens when their hearts feels a certain unhappiness from losing and that feeling rises into the empty space in their skulls. These bruised egos, then echos around for a while and exits through the mouth as baseless/stupid remarks.

It's actually a very normal human sickness which is common, and some will even say is a pre-requisite, of Malaysian politicians.

It's called stupidity

Edited by Scoots

Neutral Newbie

Aiya, those bunch of jokers up there are always like that. We need to get use to it. They still cannot take the fact that they kick SG out of MY and now SG is so much richer than them. So whenever there is a chance, they will bash us lor. Sore losers.

When I told my Denmark friends that MY want to build a curved bridge to replace the courseway, they almost laugh their head off. So let them do what they want. They are now a joke in the world.