Johor Sultan vows to find ways to reclaim Pedra Branca

Vroomtattat

The sultans should just lead their disgustingly privileged life and attend charity events. Basically what the EP of Singapore should do haha  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/johor-sultan-questions-curved-design-and-height-of-rts-link

st_20170809_sesultan09_3336499-page-001.

I think what the sultan proposes does make sense. Why should the link be curved and not straight? Curved one will make the rail longer in distance thus costing more money to build. An also why the rail be build so high 30m (ship already cannot pass becoz of the causeway link) as if the causeway is going to be dismantled in future.

He also questioned why there are 2 seperate contractors from either side to build the rail and not one contractor.

Supercharged

It's all about politics and the malaysian govt trying to beef up domestic support for their coming elections.

However the johor sultan is not exactly pro ah jib either, so i just wonder. He is trying to assert royal influence over his state rather than submit 100% to federal control. Hence his disagreement over the rail plans, that he was not properly consulted.

If the project involves buying land parcels that belong to him, I'm sure he'll be OK.

The worrying part, for me, is "commuters leaving Malaysia clears immigration checks for BOTH countries."

Our side no need check? Everyone getting off at the proposed Bukit Chagar station free to roam immediately?

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/johor-sultan-questions-curved-design-and-height-of-rts-link

I think what the sultan proposes does make sense. Why should the link be curved and not straight? Curved one will make the rail longer in distance thus costing more money to build. An also why the rail be build so high 30m (ship already cannot pass becoz of the causeway link) as if the causeway is going to be dismantled in future.

He also questioned why there are 2 seperate contractors from either side to build the rail and not one contractor.

Gosh. He is making too much sense.

Might get fixed soon  [sweatdrop]

The worrying part, for me, is "commuters leaving Malaysia clears immigration checks for BOTH countries."

Our side no need check? Everyone getting off at the proposed Bukit Chagar station free to roam immediately?

Safe ride

Cheers

Wasn't it the other way around when we had the tanjong pagar railway?

st_20170809_sesultan09_3336499-page-001.

Why curve?

Well you probably cannot do straight line station to station due to land acquisition issues from station to Sea shore.

Once you reach the sea, it needs a gentle curve for tracks to turn. There is a minimum turn radius for trains, safety issue.

The 30m height hard to say.

Maybe partly so cars can still pass under the tracks, especially on Singapore land side. And since going to elevate, may as well do higher.

Also in future, any work on the existing causeway may require the use of barges, and they often carry high cranes too.

• Praise 2

Why curve?

Well you probably cannot do straight line station to station due to land acquisition issues from station to Sea shore.

Once you reach the sea, it needs a gentle curve for tracks to turn. There is a minimum turn radius for trains, safety issue.

The 30m height hard to say.

Maybe partly so cars can still pass under the tracks, especially on Singapore land side. And since going to elevate, may as well do higher.

Also in future, any work on the existing causeway may require the use of barges, and they often carry high cranes too.

Need more info. The existing railway along the causeway is straight from what I can see. It's built along side the causeway in terms of height. And it's built like almost a hundred years ago.

Edited by Watwheels

Safe ride

Cheers

Based on the info provided, CIQs of both countries would be co-located at both stations.

Travellers coming from Malaysia will first arrive at MY passport clearance (luggage clearance not needed). Then walk on to the SG-CIQ Zone for passport clearance and luggage clearance). Then board the train to Singapore without any further checks.

Likewise, travellers leaving Singapore will first arrive at SG passport clearance (luggage clearance not needed). Then walk on to the MY-CIQ Zone for passport clearance and luggage clearance). Then board the train to Malaysia without any further checks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1