Installed horn and signal lights become weird

Lab4games

(edited)

I got a shop to install the Stebel Magnum 2 horn and the guy removed the wire from the stock horn, and directly connect it to the 2 x magnum horns. He didn't use the relay provided.

then on the way home, i managed to horn someone who dashed out from side road.. after 5mins of driving, i signaled to turn.

when i signaled, after a few seconds, the signal light stop blinking. So i reset the signal stick and then signal again, and sometimes it just stop blinking. i tried in car park and sometimes it blinks non-stop and sometimes it stops after a while.

what could be wrong? not enough power because of the horn? Any advice and then i can tell the installer to do the changes...

Edited by Lab4games
↡ Advertisement

ya it is a single horn type.

ok i am going back to get the relay installed and see if things go back to normal. I told him to use relay but he said no need lah, he installed be4 can work one.

also felt the horn don't sound very loud... [:(]

Hypersonic
(edited)

I just installed SM2 horns today also on a old sunny with single horn and the guy use the relay. I did it at Autotrend. The relay is connected directly to the +ve and -ve of the battery, then the horns are connected to the relay. Looks kinda messy if you asked me.

Anyway, I installed Hella horns on another Sunny and a Hilux (with 2 stock horns) without relay and they are still working well. Much neater too. [confused]

When installing aftermarket horns, should use relay or not?

Edited by Fcw75

When installing paired horns such as the Magnum or Hella's twin tone horns, or even a single electro-pneumatic air horn such as the Stebel Nautilus, use the provided relay. Reason being that such uprated horns require a greater amount of current, from up to 6A per horn to a max of 12A per pair. Typical stock horns only require less than 10A to operate, so by installing aftermarket horns without using the relay, one runs the risk of overloading the circuit & blowing the fuse. Worse still, there's the danger of overloading the stock wiring & melting it, or even cause an electrical fire.

The relay alleviates this problem by providing a link between your aftermarket horns & the car battery to supply the extra juice needed, while using the stock horn wiring as a switch to tell the relay when to turn on/off the power to the horns. All the current required by the horns will be supplied by the battery, and the stock horn circuit only provides a small current to trigger the relay.

Sometimes you can get away without using the relay, especially when your car has stock twin horns. But you'd have to be sure that the stock horn circuit has some overhead built in to allow the higher amount of current through safely. Usually cars that use a 15A fuse for the horn are safe, 10A will be a bit of a risk.

the power supplying the horn and signal light circuitry should be isolated by different fuse...it shouldn't be the source of your problem...

some older car do not comes with relay for horn...so need to install the provided relay....

(edited)

It sounded like a signal relay starting to fail. It resides inside the hazard light button and it should be due to the change of the horn. I guess it is a separate issue as the horn has a different relay.

Edited by Fortress

Hypersonic

Good explanation bro. [thumbsup]

You are right, those with stock twin horns probably can get away without using a relay but for those with single horn, better to install the relay. Those driving FL Sunny, are there 2 stock twin horns? I dun quite remember liao.

Cheers! [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

i think most likely the fuse problem... btw, what is ur car? some car comes with relay some doesn't... my previous vios comes with relay and i dont have to add the extra relay when i fix up the magnum2 but when i transfer the magnum2 to my latio, i have to add the relay (latio doesnt comes with relay for the horn accordint to the guy who help me fix it up....)...just go back to where u fix the horn and have them check it out... [:p]

driving a kangoo van. checked the fuse box but dunno how to see if a fuse is spoilt

afu.jpg

if fuse totally spoilt, shouldn't the light fail to blink every time? out of 5 times, maybe once it will blink without problem.

left, right, hazard light all have diff fuse from the diagram in the fuse box... is it possible that all experience problem together once the horn is installed?

all the fuse have numbers on it. 10, 15, 20 and same number same colours. does the number represent the Amp? Horn fuse is stated 15.

tomorrow morning going to get the guy to install the relay.

anyway, installed the relay and the horn becomes louder. [thumbsup]

So anyone who wanna install high power horn, be sure to use the relay! It really is there for a purpose.

↡ Advertisement