Making ERP more effective

Ahyoo2002

(edited)

ERP changes revive debate over system's intent and effectiveness

Thu, Jun 26, 2008

The Business Times

It is clear that electronic road pricing (ERP) remains the cornerstone of the government's policy to control congestion on Singapore's roads.

In principle, this is right: it makes more sense to tax actual road usage rather than car ownership, and the shift in the emphasis of policy over recent years in this direction is appropriate.

However, there remain legitimate questions over the pace and timing of the expansion of the ERP system and its charges.

After 10 years of ERP, the system's effectiveness is still a source of debate. Last week, the government announced another round of ERP changes.

There will be five new ERP gantries and increases in electronic road pricing rates from July 7, aimed at easing congestion in the city centre. They will join 32 existing gantries in the CBD. With the five new ERP gantries, the island will have a total of 65.

There was also a revision of the ERP rate structure, which involves increases in the base charge and increments.

Much of the focus was on the new gantries and the higher charges, but what also attracted attention was the explanation the Land Transport Authority (LTA) gave in revising the ERP rate structure.

The LTA said it is doing so because motorists have become 'less sensitive' to the current rate structure, which has remained unchanged since 1998. This highlights the fundamental problem with ERP. Asked a letter writer to BT: What if motorists remain insensitive to the revised structure?

This is quite plausible. Having won the right to own a car and having paid some of the highest car prices in the world to do so, it would stand to reason that Singapore motorists would be less sensitive to the cost of using roads than motorists elsewhere.

Addressing this point, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, while speaking at an Institute of Policy Studies seminar earlier this year, acknowledged that the government had got its sums wrong when it implemented ERP. 'Our prediction of consumer behaviour was not quite right,' he said. [dizzy]

The LTA has defended ERP, saying it benefits business by smoothening traffic flow. [hur] It also said the intention is not to stop motorists from using their cars, but only to modify their travel patterns.

As a policy objective, this is right. But the fact that motorists have been insensitive to higher ERP charges should give pause for thought.Is simply raising charges and erecting more gantries the right answer? Or does the answer lie in significant and tangible improvements to the public transport system? Probably both.

However, there are questions of timing, pace and sequencing. Raising ERP charges would be most effective in terms of inducing behavioural changes when motorists have a real choice.

Under the Transport Review, new public transport initiatives are to be implemented over the next decade. It is only after these are well advanced that introducing more ERP gantries and higher charges would be most effective in terms of reducing congestion. [thumbsup]

Edited by Ahyoo2002
↡ Advertisement

Letters can shoot here and there, people can slam the policies in the forums, ask the ministers during dialog session, but nothing will change. With so many gantries up, the investment and FACE alone will make it impossible to scrap this already proven ineffective measure.

Nothing will change as long as the throne sits the same people. You make 1 query, they have a list of standard answers for you. And they are always phrased in a way like machiam:

'Yes, I heard you.. i Understand.. but its the best solution.. you see other countries lagi worse.... based on statistics, singapore already very good... so.... yahh.. shut up.'

(edited)
The LTA has defended ERP, saying it benefits business by smoothening traffic flow. Hur It also said the intention is not to stop motorists from using their cars, but only to modify their travel patterns.

Ya lah............ pple modify by not taking the highways. But now even non-highways also kena taxed! [hur]

Y can't they use their brains for once and looked at other countries like Thailand? Motorists need to pay toll charges should they decide to use the highway. Else, they will have to use the traffic-packed roads like all others. Too proud and full of ego....... [shakehead]

From the start, increasing the price doesnt solve the problem at the roots. They should reduce COE quota if they are REALLY interested in solving or minimising congestion

Edited by Wanderer

If they really got the heart to solve congestion, they should control car ownership which is the root of the problem. Instead of solving this problem, they cure the symptoms by using ERP. Its emphasing more on money generation den solving the congestion problem imo.

Neutral Newbie

IMO, ERP (if it worked) provided a win-win situation - generate revenue for LTA & control car population. But of course, its plain for all to see that is now skewed to one end of the scale. That's why it sounds like they're experiencing vertigo... sinking in reality but oblivious to it. [:/]

Oblivious???

I would rather think we are being taken for granted. This and that policy..... have they even consult public opinion?

Being pockets being fed "fat fat", who would wanna pull the plug?

i'm quite sure people are getting pissed.

LKY... good luck.. u caused the downfall with ur apathetic attitude to people's concerns

Neutral Newbie

He had also predict the downfall is coming.Didn't we see it on the news...Hahahaha.

But i think less than 5yrs,the future look bleak......

More poor pple in spore now but not offically define by our govt and Govt so need more GST and ERP revenue to help the poor.

But wait all the increase hit the poor more ever with every basic essential stuffs rising......back to square 1 or even worse for the poor......sign

Can't depend on Govt to help us

(edited)

This has been discussed widely. I'm ok if charging ERP really solve the congestion problem....but it's not effective. I also feel that there must be good alternatives eg. good and comprehensive public transport, etc. ERP should be restricted to CBD and expressway. Those who are willing to pay (high charges) will get to use a free of congestion e'way and leave those who don't want to pay get stuck in the jam. On the absense of a good public transport, I feel that lta should not widen their ERP gantry network.

With a good public transport, I believe most people will leave their cars at home. Several of my friends, including myself, used to stay in either London or HK. During that time, we leave our cars at home and take the Tube/MTR to work. The trains in London may be old but their network is very comprehensive. Most destinations in the city are not more than 500m from a Tube entrance/station. Likewise, HK's MTR network is also very good and many underpass are link from commercial buildings to the station. Maybe, our gov can look into this, making it compulsory for commercial developer of building within a certain radius to a MRT station to include an underpass from the building to the MRT station in their plan.

I think many people would be happy to pay for a congestion free road. They are probably also happy to not pay and get stuck in jam. But most people are not happy to pay and still get stuck in a jam.

I feel the authority should set the record straight on the purpose of the ERP. So far, with limited and a clear idea of what ERP is for, for people on the street, it looks like the authority are shifting their goal post over the years.

Edited by Silver_blade

Actually, he did a good job at building SG up. It's his future generation that brought about the downfall, and perhaps he may still be around to witness this

I guess u echo the sentiments of many SGreans.

Pay to get stuck, instead of pay to travel non-congested roads. Pride and ego at work

Making ERP more effective = collect more money to pay salaries

↡ Advertisement