Eyewitnesse need, TPY Lor 6 pickup accident

Apollo

Family of 3 hit by pickup; father dies

A FAMILY of three standing on the pavement on Lorong 6 Toa Payoh slip road leading into Braddell Road, was knocked down by a pickup on Sunday.

The 30-year-old driver of the pickup hit a traffic light post and then crashed into the three pedestrians.

The father, a 50-year-old man, suffered injuries to his face and right foot, and was pronounced dead at 9pm at Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

His wife, in her early 40s, and his daughter, 10, had minor injuries.

The driver had cuts on his right eye, and is assisting the police with investigations.

Eyewitnesses can contact the Police at 1800-547-1818

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/...ory_253133.html

↡ Advertisement

July 1, 2008 Dad shields daughter from pickup with body pixcrash.jpgThe accident happened at about 5pm on Sunday at the T-junction of Toa Payoh Lorong 1 and Lorong 6. -- PHOTO: THE NEW PAPER c.gif c.gif

MR Chan Tong Ming and his daughter were waiting at a traffic light crossing when a pickup lorry hurtled towards them.

His wife, Madam Chan Kah Noi, who was standing nearby could only watch in horror as the pickup ploughed into her husband and daughter.

Wanting to save his daughter, the 51-year-old used his body to shield 10-year-old Yi Shan from the impact. He lost consciousness with his arms tightly wrapped around her and died in hospital a few hours later, The New Paper reported on Tuesday.

The accident happened at about 5pm on Sunday at the T-junction of Toa Payoh Lorong 1 and Lorong 6. The family was heading from their Toa Payoh home to Junction 8 mall for dinner.

Mr Chan was rushed to Tan Tock Seng Hospital with severe head injuries and a broken right leg. Madam Chan, 42, told The New Paper that his heart stopped three times at the hospital. He couldn't be revived and died at around 8pm.

The pickup driver, who is in his 30s, suffered a cut above his right eye and was taken to the Singapore General Hospital.

Yi Shan was hospitalised overnight for injuries to her forehead and left leg. Her family withheld the news of her father's death until she was discharged on Monday afternoon.

Although Yi Shan tried to be brave and not cry when told of the bad news, she broke down when she got home and saw her father's coffin.

Madam Chan told The New Paper Yi Shan was the apple of her father's eye. The couple also have a son, Hao Yang, 13 who was at a friend's house at the time of the accident.

When The New Paper visited the family at the wake on Monday night, Yi Shan's left leg was still bandaged and she walked with a slight limp.

Madam Chan said her husband of 15 years was 'a perfect husband and father' who would always make it a point to spend weekends with the family. He would also help her buy groceries at the market.

With the sole breadwinner of the family gone, Madam Chan frets about the future. Mr Chan used to take home about $2,000 each month as a logistics assistant with the Republic of Singapore Air Force, which he has been with for more than 30 years.

Madam Chan told The New Paper in tears: 'He has been the sole breadwinner for the past 10 years. I've not worked for so long. I don't know what I'm going to do now.

'What am I going to do?'

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/...ory_253462.html

angel.gif RIP.

those who can spare some dough to help her tide over pls do a guud deed. 1000 blessing for u.

i pass by this at around 7pm on sunday the pickup up the kerb totally and whack down the entire lampost, until the whole lampost lighting assembly scattered all over the yellow box junction there also

think body and victims already evacuated by then

I don't think the police should punish the pickup driver.

just ask him stand on the same spot and let me plough thru him.

Neutral Newbie

Drunk or not, does not give him the F*****g right to take another life, there are just too many fatal accidents involving commercial vehicles, both heavy and light and you see them speeding all over the island.

you're right

lets lobby the tp to put speed camera under all bridges, starting with high fatality areas like neighbourhood roads, to deter these clowns [furious][furious][furious]

Neutral Newbie

Pass by the accident scene at ard 7+ aft topping up petrol at Shell. Saw the aftermath of the accident but didn't know that it was a fatal accident until I read this thread [shakehead] RIP

Neutral Newbie

I live in TP too...quite near to the mentioned pl...aft reading this...felt like crying...the father is a super hero n noble [thumbsup] ...sacrifice his life for his apple daughter....n the place tt they stay not so rich one...felt so sorry for the whole family...Tink of going down tmr to gif them "white gold".

This oso rem me of another accident at Bendemeer road bus stop...my old pl...tt driver oso killed 2 if i m not wrong...n hit a Victoria Sec boy...he became retarded aft tt. Tat bus-stop used to be my everyday public transport to primary sch n SP...so can really feel the impact.

Hate those reckless drivers. [rifle]

Another idiot giving commercial vehicle a bad name. Everyday, I can see small LGV to big cargo trucks speeding, not only on expressways, but normal trunk roads, including neighbourhood 2 lane roads. Where is the speed limiter in the vehicle? Why is it not doing anything? where's the tp? i hardly see any on the road.

↡ Advertisement