Trade-in, scrap or sell by own?

Theman

Hi all,

I am thinking to buy a new car, as for my current car, I am not sure whether to trade in or sell by my own, the easiet way will be trade in to the car agent, but this agent beign a middle man/lady, will earn few $K from me (eg., 2nd dealer quote him $30K, they will come back and tell me only $28K, and they pocket $2K). Selling by my own, then I do not know any good and reputated 2nd car dealer.

Any suggestion from you?

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

I suggest you get the AD to give you a quote for trade in first.

Then go to sgcarmart to advertise for your car, and sell it to another delear/private buyer!

You will be able to sell $1-2k more to delear, or $5 more if sell to direct private buyer!

good dealers ?? no such thing dead.gif

depends on

1. What make your car is.

2. How urgent you are

If you are in no hurry, try to sell yourself, usually can get a much better price than dealers ....

(edited)

i always buy and sell on my own. most of the time becos i,m a born trader so i enjoy the process.

in doing things your self, you become more independant and also learn about many things in the whole process.

not to mention, you decide on the best deal you can get.

you can even try advertising here. who knows?

just know that there is a price of convenience.

so if you need convenience, just pay for it and treat it as an expense.

good luck to your sale. hope you get a fair deal.

Edited by Throttle2

The make of your car will make the difference in your decision. Some conti cars, dealer only willing to buy back at paper value. Not many buyers willing to buy so you may take a long time to sell and may end up back to dealer plus time wasted and lesser paper value.

If it's a japanese, you can sell yourself and advertise your price on sgcarmart. Price should be lower than dealer advertised price and higher than tradein price. You will attract some genuine buyers.

Get a quote from dealer when you buy new car. Check sgcarmart sale price then decide.

Edited by Petamore
  • Praise 2

So it is still better to sell on your own than trade-in? My Sunny got 3 years to go.

You can definitely get more if you sell on your own. Say dealer offer you 10k, sgcarmart selling 15k, you can just post an ad yourself on sgcarmart selling for 12-13k. Confirm your phone ring non stop throughout the day, you can arrange for the buyer to come down to your house after work to see the car. Paperwork is easy if no loan is involved, and you pocketed an extra 2-3k for a few hours of work.

• Praise 1

It depends how urgent you need to change your car. If time is on your side, can try to sell on your own. But be warned - there are time wasters and it may be a frustrating process.

I sold my car last year via consignment. Paid a small fee but I don't have to deal with the time wasters. I just show up whenever needed and the co settled everything for me.

• Praise 1

The make of your car will make the difference in your decision. Some conti cars, dealer only willing to buy back at paper value. Not many buyers willing to buy so you may take a long time to sell and may end up back to dealer plus time wasted and lesser paper value.

If it's a japanese, you can sell yourself and advertise your price on sgcarmart. Price should be lower than dealer advertised price and higher than tradein price. You will attract some genuine buyers.

Get a quote from dealer when you buy new car. Check sgcarmart sale price then decide.

You can post is sgcarmart (paid) or STcars (free). Just priced it between dealers-take-in price and sgcarmart price + Jap/Korean and you shd be able to sell it in less than 3 days. And like what the Count says Can 'make' $3K for 3 days effort.

• Praise 1

So it is still better to sell on your own than trade-in? My Sunny got 3 years to go.

Went backward and saw your car is Nissan Sunny. Sunny is the ultimate uncle's car = Sold in 1 day. If after one day still no offer, pm me.

Went backward and saw your car is Nissan Sunny. Sunny is the ultimate uncle's car = Sold in 1 day. If after one day still no offer, pm me.

Sure bro, but doing research on Elantra before making final decision. Thanks.

I have been thinking of trading in my avante for an accent 1.4L manual. My avante is Ropc and I intend the accent to be manual ROPC also.

Anyone knows the trade in value for an automatic avante 2009 model? Have been quoted 30k last year but I am not sure if

1) the current trade in value is still the same (quotz value my car at about 30k this year but that is if I sell the car as opposed to trade in)

2). If I trade in, do I get to drive my old car until the day I get my new car or will there be a period when I have no car?

Edited by Philipkee

For those who trade in your old ride to the AD for your new car, do you get back both the COE and the PARFrebate amount of your old car?  My AD seems to deduct only the PARF amount of my old car from my new car price, is this the norm?  

Thanks.

You should get back the paper value (which is the PARF + balance of COE + balance of Road tax) and also any body value. Then depending on which AD you are dealing with there might "over trade" as well.... 

↡ Advertisement