BMW 3 series (E90) facelift

Relagsingh

kekeke.. maybe you are missing the point others trying to say

does it make sense to pay ~120K for something that has less amenities than a civic or toyota... minus the badge... (let's forget the drive/handling part which the 4pot 320s do not offer, the entire setup and balance is not even 50/50; which only applies to the IL-6 models)...Plus all the quality issues and minimal to non-existence customer care (can't really fault them on this one, way too many faulty 320s to cope, though premium service is still rendered to higher models)

problems listed are pasted all over bmw forums worldwide... even the local ones...

I do not own a 320, but have daily access to an E90 325...

Do you know people in US are actually glad that they will get a 4 pot 3 series because it's more then enough for day to day driving?

Can you tell me what features (you sound like talking about toilet facilities when you said amenities) a 320 doesn't have compared to a civic or toyota? civic or toyota have an on board computer that tells me when i'm due for servicing and what kind of servicing, my current engine oil levels, brake pad status front and back, brake fluid status, auto engine check, distance remaining to next top up, ave speed, allows me to change the preference for door settings when unlocking, moving off, format and UoM for FC, dist, temp etc etc? Not to mention auto headlights, wipers, auto dim rear mirrors, self adj side mirrors when reversing etc etc.

Civic or toyota have 2 sets of remote key that has personal profile settings for different individuals like setting of the electric seats, audio, format of indicators, side mirror etc etc? So that when i use my key, the settings will be according to what i preset but if my wife uses her key, it'll be preset to her preference instead - the moment the car is unlocked depending on which key is used to unlock.

You got daily access to a 325 and you don't know all the above exist???

Oh yah, by the way, my ride doesn't have any of those issues you mentioned.

I got nothing against civic or toyota as i've driven both before. But to compare them like that, you are not comparing them on equal grounds.

Edited by Check13

I do not know which part of the states you have been in... volume sellers there are the 330/335 and only recently the new 328... 320 have to special indent... (doesn't take a alot to realize that if you need only pay 2 to 3K more for a IL-6 model)

Did you know a 325 have about the same FC as the 320? At worst, 10% more, but it has more than 50%HP to gun. Reason, the 4pot just doesnt have the grunt to pull the heavy chassis.

My point is simple, ur choice of car (in this case a 320) doesn;t make 320 a good car. By saying how great the 320 is, just make it more lame... then i should called 325/330 god-send cars? since they are much much better. of coz not, i would rate them capable cars, just rite for the heavy bimmer chassis....

that's the whole point, i drive a 325 almost daily, and i can tell you its a different car altogether... since you mentioned about the OBC, i can never imagine how 320 owners sqint their eyes on the 1-inch orange monochrome LCD to review all these information... 325 has the i-drive 7.7inch full colour and its just sweet to use and look at, Its displays full sentences rather than only symbols.

put it this way... with 120K, you can get a V6 3.5L Honda/Toyota AWD and with all the OBC stuff you mentioned and more... so how does the 320 stack other than the badge? drive/handling? to be frank, it doesn;t even drive like a bimmer...50/50? no

so i should say you are lucky not to encounter those problems... tell that to those pple at PML every morning... mind you, its not a nice experience to spend 120K and then spend weeks and weeks going back to the service centres... u never encounter, doesn;t mean dun have... hit rate is high... too high... somemore 3yrs liao and FL coming...still like that...

But then again 325/330/335 not plaqued with all these leh....funny rite...only problem i encounter with the 325 is, it consumes engine oil... N52 engine all like that one

Relax la... At the end of the day people buy cars for different reasons and these reasons may be alien to us. I for one cannot understand why people will pay so much for a entry level (and entry level spec) 320..I guess they appreciate the car in ways that I don't and so be it. As long as a fellow forummer is happy with his ride, guess we should be happy for him too right? No need to compare so much la, just chill and be happy [cool]

I drive 2002 E39 520 & i got only got the orange color OBC to read. I don't mind cause what important to me is the driving experience. If i m d 1st ka @ traffic lite, i will definitely gun my throttle & leave a lot of ka behind.

N52 consumes engine oil mayb due to thinner oil (wt 30). Based on what i read, it is about 1 liter/1,600km. Even my M54 still consumes about 0.5L @ 6,000km.

Do you know people in US are actually glad that they will get a 4 pot 3 series because it's more then enough for day to day driving?

this is pure BS. americans who want a 4 cylinder will rather get a honda or a toyota. no way would they "be glad for a 4 potter in a BMW". USA is the country of "no replacement for displacement". only those green environmental activists or hippies will prefer a Toyota Prius to an oil guzzling V12 760Li or a 6.3 litre V12 AMG.

in fact, i don't even think the 4 cylinder BMW and Mercedes Benz are even available in the USA.

Actually news report coming out of US are pointing to the fact that the Americans are now looking to buy smaller car, not just physical size but in terms of engine size as well. They also move closer to their work place and commute less. So some of the US car makers are struggling because they have no small cars to sell in the US.

All because of oil prices.

just visited bmwusa.com and their 3-series starts from 328 (3.0 liter) [sly]

1stly, i think the problem lies with culture and size of the country

2ndly, americans (ang moh) generally bigger size. 2liter for 4 adults, abit shiong leh.

in usa, you got a 2liter car -> people laugh

in sg, you got a 3liter car -> people laugh

Edited by Wt_know

These Americans you are talking about are the average-to-lower-income people hit by the financial mess, high oil prices and upcoming recession. They are the ones who drive the cheap American brand SUVs, trucks, and big saloon cars. These people are the ones who are sensitive to pump prices, and are now switching to the more economical American models or the Japanese ones.

Definitely not in the same demographic as the people who buy premium European imports like BMW.

So your point is irrelevant to this current discussion.

Edited by King_of_abalone

Not only the size of their country and people, but also the speed of their highways.

Minimum speed is 55 mph which is strictly enforced in certain states in their interstate highways.

"Official" speed limit is 70 mph but cars usually travel at higher speed than that on the highway when the state patrol or traffic cops are not around. So you get high speed drivers constantly bearing down on you if you are a slowpoke. But they are good in defensive driving and will rather avoid you than to come close and horn you (unlike singapore).

Try merging from an on-ramp into a highway in a 2 litre 4 cylinder car with giant 18 wheeler trucks breathing down your neck! [laugh][laugh][laugh] Spare a thought for the trucker... it is very difficult to brake from a high speed with a hundred tons of cargo right behind him.. just to avoid an underpowered car who is trying like mad to merge.

Fully agree [grouphug]

Going by his theory, it's as good as saying all male Ang Mor have huge dicks [laugh] He hasn't seen the richie rich go cheap wholesale mega marts to snatch cheap sale goods on super discount trolleys yet [shakehead]

How myopic can a bloke be [sleeping]

seems you know more than BMW North America President James O'Donnell:

"We can't really confirm or deny when it is going to come into the US,

or if it is going to come into the US, until after the election and

the government makes it clear what is going to be the platform

that manufacturers have got to work to"

if it's not confirmed, how you know "people in US are actually glad that they will get a 4 pot..."?

by the way, "This will be a high tech 4-cylinder engine; obviously turbo charged."

so even if they are really glad that they may get a 4 pot 3 series,

they are glad that it'll be a turbo-charged 4 pot

and not the 4 pot in the 320 we get here.

Edited by Eyke