Air-Con Sourish Smell

Tas0577

change your air con filter..do note, it's air con filter.. not the one in your engine bay..

arrest the problem at its source.. those spray, ioniser or dehumifier only help to reduce the smell..

↡ Advertisement

Lysol is good, but now they have competitor Clorox which is cheaper.

They have the same content, basically ethanol to kill bacteria.

Oh Clorox spray does not use chlorine bleach? Dettol & another brand with a green cross also has the disinfectant spray.

So far I tried a few but I find the smell of Lysol better. Personal choice, of course. [nod]

It specifically states DOES NOT CONTAIN BLEACH.

I think they are associated with it.laugh.gif

Anyway, I like the Floral Fresh, country smell.smile.gif

I think it sells for about $1 cheaper than Lysol at Cold Storage.

cds.jpg

Neutral Newbie

I had this problem before, tried using carbon ac filter, sprayed dettol, lysol on it no use. I tried spraying Duragloss Absorb It (Odour Eliminator) on the ac filter and it work. It's been more than a mth and there is no more sourish smell.

The bad smell is due to bacteria growth and discharge.

Get rid of the source which is bacteria thriving in wet area.

Dry your mat under the sun, if it's wet.

Clean or changeout the aircon filter.

Use the car heater at its max to blast dry. This remove wet areas and kill bacteria.

Use Lysol or other disinfecting spray to finish up by spraying into the vents.

Don't just use air freshener to cover up.

Ya I seen it b4 but didn't want to buy cos afraid it smell like bleach which also smells like sperm. Yucks. [:p]

Thanks for educating me. Next time I try it. [thumbsup]

You can switch full blast on the air, wothout switching on the ac, adjust the temp upward to 'heat out' those organism that is inside for a few minute. It works thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

yes, this method should be done 5mins before parking the car, especially when the weather is cold or raining thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

My guess is (1) you have tons of scented air refreshers in your car and (2) you park under the sun most of the time. It is a chemical reaction. Cut down on the perfumes, perform the "hot-air" treatment for at least 30 minutes as prescribed by bros here and the smell should go away in no time. It works for me.

Brother, you are wrong cos I did not use any air freshener since the day I collected my car, there are still new car smell in the car though.

My car is seldom park under hot sun and that usually only during weekend as the multi-storey carpark in my office and home are covered so no exposure to hot sun at all.

But if I were to use the Lysol to spray into the car air-con inlet vent, I need to remove the air-con filter first, right?

Oops, you got a problem, especially if it is a new car. You should sent it to workshop to have it checked out. You probably want to ensure there are no leak in the car.

Neutral Newbie
Actualy, I found that it could be related to the cabin filter. When I detect smell, I wld take out the cabin air filter and wash the filter. The smell will be gone.

I thought that the air-con filter cannot be washed? i.e. once dirty, have to replace with a new one - like normal air filters in your engine bay?

But then, I find it strange that a kind of burning smell like the cooling coil freeze when it reaches the cooling point but the thermostat did not cut off the compressor, this type of smell emits out during cold weather when you step hard on the accelerator to overtake another vehicle.

Do you all notice such smell?

Toyota one is like those cookerhood plastic mesh to absorb oil. Still washable for a few times, even though easy to tear. After a while, I switched to 3M aircon filter paper. DIY style.

I would do the following 1st before proceeding further [nod][nod][nod]

1) Set your temperature to the hottest range and full blast it [nod][nod][nod]

2) Check if your air con filter has been changed i.e 20K interval [:)]

If still cannot resolve, some Bros here use those spray tin can solution which might help [nod][nod][nod]

Last resort, send it to the air con fellows to do a thorough service for your air con [nod][nod][nod]

This happened to my Honda Stream. Tried many things, heat up aircon, complained to KM, change filter etc, still got the sour smell. Quite embarassing when you fetch people, esp [gorgeous]. She thot I got body odour [furious] Damn toolang, and sold it away in the end.

Wa lau [dizzy][dizzy][dizzy]

That sure sucks man [:/]

↡ Advertisement