Toyota Altis - VVTI Gear problem

Tyming

Neutral Newbie

It happened to me today, and no choice got it changed at BM a few hundred dollars. Just want to check with you guys, how often will have this happen?

↡ Advertisement

I dun tink he meant gearbox at all. He probably meant the VVTI gear in the engine, some sort of gear that activate VVTI?

Yes, VVTi is a set of gears operated by hydraulic pressure to adjust the cam phasing. Its still attached to your timing belt/chain and uses this to turn the camshaft.

Yes, I did heard about premature VVTi failure that causes the camshaft to be locked in one position. ITs not a big deal because it won't spoil the engine. Just that you wont' get optimum power and FC. But $800 to replace it isn't cheap...... But I guess AD is like that one. Perhaps the VVTi unit can be taken apart to replace individual parts but they usually just replace the whole module.

thankfully my tomyam altis still ok. 2.5yrs.

Just did my 40k servicing. Only issue thus far is a creaking suspension coil, just swapped out.

Interestingly though, 5 yr warranty is becoming the norm for BM.

Ironic when older toyota's are more reliable.

According to my SE then, I believe that thaiyotas still have their engine assembled in japan & the rest of the car is assembled in Thailand.

Neutral Newbie

2009 Altis giving off cranking noise while accelerating off from traffic light (occasionally). have to floor more accleration for the noise to go off. Have replaced transmission fuel and engine air filter but problem persist.

Could it due to gearbox issue?

How can the problem be solve? appreciate the advice from members here.

2009 Altis giving off cranking noise while accelerating off from traffic light (occasionally). have to floor more accleration for the noise to go off. Have replaced transmission fuel and engine air filter but problem persist.

think its best to go to BM to ask them coz they're probably in a better position to tell you whats wrong....

could be air-con belt noise

Neutral Newbie

Following members' advice here, managed to send the car to borneo motors. Just driving and hearing the noise, the serviceman identified the problem as engine knock and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate the problem.

It seems the problem has compromise the fuel efficiency of the car.

Following members' advice here, managed to send the car to borneo motors. Just driving and hearing the noise, the serviceman identified the problem as engine knock and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate the problem.

I suggest you get a second opinion at a trustworthy workshop outside before deciding what to do. The serviceman's diagnosis seems a bit dodgy.

Not very possible it is due to engine design. Engine knock can also be caused by deposits in cylinder; fuel quality issues; spark plugs...

My friend's Altis also encounter gear problem. Toyota quality has dropped.

Maybe your friend sway or got a lemon? [:/]

Back quite nice

Front not nice

Interior looks plasticky

Forget about day running lights feature from BM

Yet, many many people sure buy wan [laugh]

Actually I think the more bulbs the more chance bulb will blow, whole row one light gone then will be really not nice already. That's why I also scare to put the aftermarket LED, one whole stretch just need 1 to go off or become less bright, then the whole look gone.