Toyota Altis - VVTI Gear problem

Tyming

Still no projector lamp? Vios, a lower grade toyota already on projector when I see it at BM Ubi branch.

projector lamp better meh?

My previous car was on reflector, current on projector. I find reflector gives wider, further and hence a sense of brighter lighting overall.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement

Actually I think the more bulbs the more chance bulb will blow, whole row one light gone then will be really not nice already. That's why I also scare to put the aftermarket LED, one whole stretch just need 1 to go off or become less bright, then the whole look gone.

so its a blessing on disguise that BM's version prob comes without as it would be expensive to replace those bulbs.

My friend's Altis also encounter gear problem. Toyota quality has dropped.

agree, my cousin also encounter this issue. but after BM settle this issue he will b looking for other brand of car.

Neutral Newbie

I think the workmanship, quality inspection standard is not so strict as Japan. Japanese takes their work very seriously and with pride. I am also driving a thailand assembled toyota, the standard of work is really [shakehead][shakehead]

Thailand built Altis has the 3ZZ-FE motor which are ALL made in Japan.

The 3ZZ-FE is a 1.6 L (1598 cc) incarnation built in Japan. It is found in the Asian Toyota Corolla Altis which is available in countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Taiwan and in the Toyota Corolla sedan sold in Sri Lanka. In South Africa the motor can be found in the RunX 160 and Corolla 160. The entire exterior design and chassis is the same as the American Corolla. Bore is 79.0 mm and the stroke is 81.5 mm. Max. output is 109 hp (81 kW) @ 6000 rpm. Max. torque is 110 lb

Don't have to worry about Japanese car makers. They can recover very fast.

If u Conti car has encountered gear box problem. U have to standby 7K.

projector lamp better meh?

My previous car was on reflector, current on projector. I find reflector gives wider, further and hence a sense of brighter lighting overall.

Not saying better but they do need to catch up with time. Projector gives a better cut off while reflector if not properly align, gives a damn glaring light.

In yr 2005, i got my brand new 1.6L Thai-made Altis freshly from BM knowing that i made the best choice in getting a Toyota. After doing my 5000km free servicing in BM, i decided to go to a popular Workshop elsewhere in AMK to do the regular servicing with all receipt kept.

On the third year, i did my 80,000km servicing at my regular workshop (me watching thur' the whole servicing) and a week later, i drive up to Genting and when i reached the Genting temple (almost reaching the Hotel), my Altis came to a sudden silent stop and all i could do is to wait for help.

After going to a few Malaysia workshop and not able to diagnose what had happened to my car, my SIN regular workshop asked me towed the car to his friend workshop in KL Bangsar who has the right diagnose tool and check on my Altis. In the end, was told that the VVTI Camshaft broke and 8 of my valve was damaged......a Major overhaul will be needed to revive the car. Total spending on the repair and tow fee cause me around SGD$3K.

One week later, i collect my car and was advise from my regular workshop to report about my incident (not claiming from BM but just to report the incident as my car warranty was over 2-3 weeks ago and also knowing engine warranty is 5 yrs). When i arrived at BM, the Service advisor come to me and told me off that they only see my 5000km service record and no other servicing was done after that in BM. I showed the SE that i have my receipt and report of my regular workshop but was declined that outside workshop only change your EO and Sparkplug...they are not able to dianose your car if really have problem....i was speechless at that very moment since knowing that this will void the warranty,

The best part of the conversation is when the SE saw my damage VVTI cam shaft, he directly told me that if i wanna report, they have to check the engine and its required to open up the engine with a fee of SGD$3K not including of replacing any other parts in the event of the investigation. As for filing the damage part, i have to bear for the flight charge and service charge (Either thai or Jap) and its not worth it at all since they will definitely conclude that my servicing is not done properly throughout the whole 3yrs duration causing such damage.

Since i'm not claiming anything from BM and just making a report but was badly declined by the SE and keep pushing me off, i directly told the SE that this will be "My first and last Toyota in my life". Suck big time!!! Really at a lost not knowing what car to buy since Toyota that was very well known to be reliable failed on me!!!

1 week later, i just sold off my car (half the total price lost) and replace with a Subaru Forester.

Till now, Subaru has never failed me and the car stability and performance is far more better than my previous sickening Tom-yam ride!

Come to think of it, if my Tom-yam ride never fails, i would not have the couraged to step up and purchase a Subaru which never ever come across my mind on my first car purchase.

"The true genuine experience of a Tomyam Toyota ex-owner"

In yr 2005, i got my brand new 1.6L Thai-made Altis freshly from BM knowing that i made the best choice in getting a Toyota. After doing my 5000km free servicing in BM, i decided to go to a popular Workshop elsewhere in AMK to do the regular servicing with all receipt kept.

On the third year, i did my 80,000km servicing at my regular workshop (me watching thur' the whole servicing) and a week later, i drive up to Genting and when i reached the Genting temple (almost reaching the Hotel), my Altis came to a sudden silent stop and all i could do is to wait for help.

After going to a few Malaysia workshop and not able to diagnose what had happened to my car, my SIN regular workshop asked me towed the car to his friend workshop in KL Bangsar who has the right diagnose tool and check on my Altis. In the end, was told that the VVTI Camshaft broke and 8 of my valve was damaged......a Major overhaul will be needed to revive the car. Total spending on the repair and tow fee cause me around SGD$3K.

One week later, i collect my car and was advise from my regular workshop to report about my incident (not claiming from BM but just to report the incident as my car warranty was over 2-3 weeks ago and also knowing engine warranty is 5 yrs). When i arrived at BM, the Service advisor come to me and told me off that they only see my 5000km service record and no other servicing was done after that in BM. I showed the SE that i have my receipt and report of my regular workshop but was declined that outside workshop only change your EO and Sparkplug...they are not able to dianose your car if really have problem....i was speechless at that very moment since knowing that this will void the warranty,

The best part of the conversation is when the SE saw my damage VVTI cam shaft, he directly told me that if i wanna report, they have to check the engine and its required to open up the engine with a fee of SGD$3K not including of replacing any other parts in the event of the investigation. As for filing the damage part, i have to bear for the flight charge and service charge (Either thai or Jap) and its not worth it at all since they will definitely conclude that my servicing is not done properly throughout the whole 3yrs duration causing such damage.

Since i'm not claiming anything from BM and just making a report but was badly declined by the SE and keep pushing me off, i directly told the SE that this will be "My first and last Toyota in my life". Suck big time!!! Really at a lost not knowing what car to buy since Toyota that was very well known to be reliable failed on me!!!

1 week later, i just sold off my car (half the total price lost) and replace with a Subaru Forester.

Till now, Subaru has never failed me and the car stability and performance is far more better than my previous sickening Tom-yam ride!

Come to think of it, if my Tom-yam ride never fails, i would not have the couraged to step up and purchase a Subaru which never ever come across my mind on my first car purchase.

Well said...though I do feel for you (either you are one of the unlucky ones to encounter such a serious problem OR Toyota's standards have dropped significantly).

[bigcry]

Back quite nice

Front not nice

Interior looks plasticky

Forget about day running lights feature from BM

Yet, many many people sure buy wan [laugh]

The front looks like a mixture between the new Vios and Auris.

I am sure it will be a seller here in Singapore when it's launched. [laugh]

Thanks for sharing!

I really feel Thai made Toyotas are sickening.

Reduce cost for themselves only.

I stick to Honda and mazda

Nowadays, Honda gearbox also having issue. My friend Odyssey and Stream both encountered gearbox problem. Saw couple of time Honda stream broke down at highway.......cost cutting measure from reputable jap car company really tarnish their long built reputation.

For my Subaru, it is also not perfect as it also has its own small issue but not to the extend of doing overhaul within 3 yrs. [laugh]

Owning my Forester for 5yrs, i can also see O2 sensor, secondary air pump having intermittent issue and replacing this stupid sensor or air pump need to pocket few hundred dollars. Hope this car can survive for another 5 yrs since the new CM really stopped many average income sillyporean from changing car.

Definitely, no more Toyota for me as i have enough of it especially those "Made by Toyota" Tom-yam ride (hmmm, Thailand is not famous in making car but i do know they are famous and good in other stuff..heheheee :D ) as well as their finger licking good aka fantastic local Agent-Bodoh motor ....... [blush]

Edited by Lemonade78

If only your car continue to be serviced by BM, they will replace parts foc ... -_-

Every AD are the same, continue servicing & maintain by them, they will honour the 5 yrs warranty. The moment one service outside, they boh chap leow... [:(]

My Picnic service by them since day 1 and although a bit expensive, I found it worth it. Ever once, 3 months after servicing, engine doesn't sound right and return to them. They gave a complete check foc... [:)]

Edited by Picnic06

If only your car continue to be serviced by BM, they will replace parts foc ... -_-

Every AD are the same, continue servicing & maintain by them, they will honour the 5 yrs warranty. The moment one service outside, they boh chap leow... [:(]

My Picnic service by them since day 1 and although a bit expensive, I found it worth it. Ever once, 3 months after servicing, engine doesn't sound right and return to them. They gave a complete check foc... [:)]

Yah, its my fault and never know Toyota is really that weak/lemon and need to be only service by BM and no other outside workshop. Just treat it as a lesson learnt and move on.

Just my luck, 1st week received car, observed suspension leaking issue and replace FOC....1 month later, found front disc wrapped...did a FOC skimming and no replace.........did my 80,000 servicing and 1 week later, silent dead and worst part....dead in Malaysia Genting!!! [:(] Hiazzzzz

Edited by Lemonade78

Yah, its my fault and never know Toyota is really that weak/lemon and need to be only service by BM and no other outside workshop. Just treat it as a lesson learnt and move on.

Just my luck, 1st week received car, observed suspension leaking issue and replace FOC....1 month later, found front disc wrapped...did a FOC skimming and no replace.........did my 80,000 servicing and 1 week later, silent dead and worst part....dead in Malaysia Genting!!! [:(] Hiazzzzz

Your nick says it all.... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

My dad's 1-year-old Altis also encounter gearbox problem. BM may not be able to give 5-year warranty anymore or they may have to increase their margin (car prices) in order to continue giving the 5-year warrant for their new cars.

↡ Advertisement